Backup Battery/UPS

Has anybody used the inexpensive TalentCell battery packs as an Uninterruptible Power Supply?

I presume I can tap off the USB output on these to get 5VDC/2A. Can I "float" the HE hub on the USB tap while it continuously charges? The wall wart on this is listed as 12V/0.5A, so is this enough to keep the battery pack fully charged while the HE runs off the USB tap?

Doesn’t look like it has any charge Controller in it. Meaning you have to flip a switch to charge it. Wouldn’t be a good UPS at all.

According to the Q&A on the Amazon link, these are supposed to be able to charge at the same time you are pulling power off the USB tap. The concern I have is whether the 12.6V/0.5A wall wart provides enough power to keep the battery fully charged while the HE hub runs off the USB tap.

Hmmm the description of the product says the opposite. Just wanted to point that out. If you purchase the device you can test and as long as it is prime you have a 30 day window to return for full refund.

Why not get an Anker pack instead?

I'm actually looking at using one of those with a solar panel to power a surveillance camera mounted in a tree.

Yeah, these seem to be sort of odd devices, more power-pack than UPS. It appears that the switch turns off both charging and power output. When the switch is "on" the battery pack can be charged at the same time you draw power from the 12.6V input connector or the 5V USB port.

I stumbled over a thread (now I can't find it) in which someone said they were using one as a cheap UPS for their HE. My concern is that the inexpensive one cannot provide enough power to maintain or restore a battery charge while simultaneously running the HE hub. Its wall wart only puts out about 6 watts.

Do you mean that the Anker device can be continuously on the charger while powering the HE hub at the same time?

This one does.

Anker PowerCore Fusion, Portable Charger 5000mAh with Dual USB Wall Charger, Foldable Plug and PowerIQ, Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad, Android, Samsung Galaxy and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K702S66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JiqRCbSEYZVM0

Got one TalentCell when I was in the states last year.
Does it charge and power the Hub simultaneously, sure does.
Does it seamlessly switch between mains and battery, sure does.
Have I had a power cut, nope, but in my initial testing it held the Hub up for over 30min.

For me, that’s 3 wins. :+1:t2:

One free day I might see how long it will keep the Hub running for but that’s not the best thing to do with li-Po batteries, I’m now told.

Get one w/ a USB-C port on it. I think you can charge up to 18W or something over USB-C.

The US wall wart was no good to me in Aus so it got swapped out immediately for a 2A unit. :blush:

I have some of these:

They have barrel plug (5 mm), USB and POE. Nice product.
15 w max (more or less 3 hubs). I suggest max 10w (2 hubs) as it get warm easily

1 Like

Nice little backup power unit there! Particularly nice is the POE injector for something like a critical IP Camera.

The UPS is the one on the right

Love those Command Strips!

1 Like

ME TOO!!! My family says that I should buy stock. Use em all the time! :smiley:

I love them and I do have stock! Keep buying them!

2 Likes

Are you talking about the Anker PowerCore Fusion, 5000mAH? Or is it the TalentCell battery pack?

From the info I've read, a lot of the Anker packs have a short power drop-out when a mains power is cut while another device is being "charged". I'm pretty sure that would cause my HE hub to reboot, and that is exactly what I am trying to prevent.

The TalentCell. If I get time tonight I'll pull the Mains on it, observe the result and time it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like