Backup Battery/UPS

Thanks for the quick reply on that.

I've got one of these for my router/ap. Only 12v, external power source, 36w. Really good

My Hubs been running on the Battery pack for 5 hrs now and 4 of the 5 indicator LED’s are still on !

I’ve never had a power outage that long so I’m pretty happy with this little solution.

Oh and there was NO reboot due to any power drop, when switching over to battery.
No glitch.

Edit:
At 11pm last night and only 1 of the 5 LED’s on the TalentCell extinguished,I decided to see if it’d last the distance overnight. 7 hrs later and it’s still going !!
It’s now got 3 of the LED’s ON. Only 2 are extinguished.
I’m pretty sure that this little power pack would power my HE for over 24hrs but I’m turning the mains back on as the house will be empty today.

2 Likes

That's really good to hear that the TalentCell solution is working well for you. 5 hours and still going strong! It shows that the HE only sips power, except probably when the radio transmitter briefly activates.

I really only need less than 1 hour of uninterruptible power, since my biggest concern is corruption of the HE database if the power cycles off and on several times in a short period... and when we lose power here, that often happens. If the power is off for any length of time, there's no point in having the HE running, since none of the lights would be working anyway, and the only other devices on the system are motion sensors for triggering those lights.

With my lower backup power requirements, I'm looking at this smaller and yet less expensive solution from AliExpress. Less than $20, no wall wart required, and includes the USB to 5VDC connector. If the battery dies, it's easy to replace, as well.

I don't understand what you're saying here. You're saying the batteries don't last long? I can definitely contest that. I love my Anker power packs. They are the only ones that have ever worked over long periods of time.

I have one of these APC, and yes it's not your sub-$20 device, but it has no problem powering two HE hubs, Synology DS115 with an external drive attached, ISP modem/router, TP-Link Deco M5, HDHomeRun Quatro, and a 24 port switch.

On the surge only, I have an Insteon hub, Hue Bridge, Caséta Smart Bridge Pro, Ambient Weather bridge, and inkjet printer. There's also a USB port to charge your phone in a pinch. My Synology connects to it by USB and can shut down automatically when the battery is at a critical level. Will be using that for automatic shutdown of the HE hubs soon too.

What I mean is that if you have your HE plugged into the Anker pack, while the Anker is connecte to mains power, the power to your HE will be cut off for a second or so while the Anker "reconfigures" itself. This is because (as I understand it) Anker won't allow "pass-through" charging with its units. Supposedly, it greatly reduced the life of the internal battery in the Anker. Some older Anker units used to do pass-through charging, but they stopped producing them due to the battery life and other issues.

More info: the DC barrel plug on the HE C4 model is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

TalentCell also makes a 100Wh DC mini-UPS that is quite reasonably priced. Battery calendar life should be better than using a conventional battery power bank as a UPS (lithium batteries are degraded by staying at 100% charge for long periods of time).

Indeed, that's true regarding the decreased life expectancy of the lithium battery. However, I don't much care about the battery, as long as it has sufficient power to run the HE hub for a minute or two. Most of my power outages are blips that last a few seconds, and the purpose of the mini-ups is just to keep the hub from rebooting each and every time the power blips. If the power is out for more than 1 minute, it's likely to be out for rather much longer, and rebooting the hub when power is finally restored isn't much of an issue. Since the purpose of my system is to control smart-bulbs, there's not much point in the hub being able to run for several hours when the power is out.

For my purposes, a capacitor that would run the HE for 5 minutes would work just as well as the lithium battery.

Right,the battery just has to last long enough that I remember to shut down Hubitat cleanly. I have another similar small server blob (Ubiquiti Cloud Key Gen 2) that does include an ultracapacitor or something similar, so that when power goes down, it can auto-shutdown safely. Good idea for Hubitat V3.

1 Like