Back on the hunt for dimmer switches after the AOne dimmers failed to meet family approval

How did things go on this in the end? I've finally got a stable setup using Aqara D1 wall switches, but they don't offer a dimmer option, so for rooms that must have dimming I'm a bit stuck.

I wouldn't even mind using the three-button models to provide low-medium-high control, but having had no luck with Zigbee repeating lamps (even TrÄdfri lamps proved to upset the Aqara gear) I'm not keen to venture down that route again - though I believe the Sengled ones are non-repeating?

Regardless, I doubt they make a replacement for the 118mm linear halogen lamps I have in the dining room. I'm still searching for a decent LED replacement for those. Currently a mere 200W a piece. :flushed:

Still not a solved problem, but as lockdown etc. has meant the building work hasn't even started yet, it's something I've still got time to resolve.

I swapped the "cold white" bulbs for "warm white" ones, which caused the AOne dimmer to stop working because although the new bulbs were dimmable, the combined wattage was less than the rated one for the switch, so I ended up with a disco! :rofl:

I switched out the AOne for a standard non-smart dimmer and now the bulbs have three settings - off, dim, or on, so there's clearly an issue with the bulbs that needs resolving... :roll_eyes:

Anyway, I'm digressing now, I'll let you know if I find anything...

Did you resolve this as I’m having a similar problem? I’ve got x4 6w led bulbs connected to the Aone dimmer switch and they just flash. I put in x4 halogen bulbs and they work but there is a buzzing sound in the dimmer and at the bulb. I’ve purchased a fibaro bypass and hoping this will help when fitted.

are the lamps dimmable?

worth a punt?

I'm thinking about those, I've not tried them out myself yet though.

There was another brand doing the rounds recently (the name escapes me) but when I spoke to them they said it only worked with their own hub, good to see more UK options entering the market though!

Nice to see more options in the UK.

"It only works with our hub" They all say that :rofl:

Yeah - at the moment I don't have the cash to try it out, but I'm saving up... :smiley:

1 Like

Is anyone using the Samotech products? I am thinking of getting their SM323 to replace one module in a 2 gang switch. Do they need a specific driver?

So I’ve changed to the Samotech SM323 dimmer switches and they work perfect!

No minimum load, no flickering, you can push to turn on and off, paired with HE first time using generic zigbee driver. Also work with filament led bulbs with no problems.

1 Like

So the man from Del Monte says yes? :rofl:

Do they "click" on and off as you turn them?

That was the criticism of the AONE's - "why do you have to push them? Why don't they just switch off when you turn them down?" :laughing:

They work like a normal 2way dimmer. You push to turn on and off and when on turn the dimmer to dim.

Just means to anyone else who is expecting a normal light it seems like it is. To us though we can control with google or any automations I set up.

Thanks, that's the issue that my family members have apparently - because the Aurora's don't "click off" when turned fully anti-clockwise, and "click on" when you start to turn them clockwise, it "didn't feel right" :man_shrugging:

Apparently pushing the button to turn it on and then pushing it again to turn it off, with no resistance to tell you that you're at max/min isn't "the right way dimmers work..."

See what I'm up against?! :laughing:

3 Likes

You cannot turn these to turn the on and off but push them on and off. Which is like the normal dimmers I had.

The Aone ones you only have to slightly touch them and they come on, this is the difference between the 2 controls.

However no minimum load is the main benefit for me on these so I can have a lower wattage led bulbs connected

1 Like

Those are some tough customers!

I fear that you won’t find the dimmer you’re looking for any time soon. I know exactly what you mean as I’ve just swapped out the “click and turn” style for those (wow, expensive!) AOne dimmers.

The problem is what happens when it’s physically turned on, but then turned off remotely, or vice-versa. There would need to be an integrated motor to move the physical control to the “clicked off” or “clicked on” position, otherwise the light’s function won’t match the dimmer and I think you’ll be in for more disapproval than before.

Thankfully “push on” and “push off” was already accepted practice in some rooms of our house, so the change has barely been noticed. In the kitchen everyone likes it, as when leaving with hands full you can easily shove the thing with an elbow. :slight_smile:

Thanks @rennestuart That info means I can go ahead and order one. Unlike @proffalken I am replacing push on/off ones so there won't be any complaints here :rofl:

1 Like

Based on your post, I ordered a couple. Just fitted the first to a light with 3 dimmable LEDs that an Aurora AOne dimmer failed to work with (flickered), and they work perfectly. Pairing and minimum brightness setting was a breeze. Even better they are totally silent unlike the Aurora which buzzes even when it works as a dimmer.

Thanks for pointing these out!

2 Likes

Thanks for feeding back on these, they sound like they're worth a test at least - I assume if they're grid modules you can change the colour of the knob etc?

Yes, they come with a small nut, washer and a plain white knob, but it is a standard fitting. I just used a Scolmore click dimmer plate and tightened it on to that.

1 Like