Back on the hunt for dimmer switches after the AOne dimmers failed to meet family approval

Fantastic, thanks!

An issue for North American folks:
The problem with these devices in N.A. is that in many cases, a single electrical box may not have enough room in it for this device. It appears that for double boxes, you can probably find the room, but for single boxes, there just may not be the room inside the box for this device plus a standard switch.
Your mileage May Vary.

Update from me. Ordered a SM323. Replaced existing dimmer unit in the existing switch no problem. Paired up quickly as a RGBgenie Micro Zigbee Dimmer. The switch does buzz but I am far enough away that it does not bother me. The only other minor issue I have is with Hubitat Dashboard for Android is not reporting the correct brightness levels. Other than that is is working really well.

Hmm, somehow I managed to overlook these when I was buying my dimmers. They're a lot cheaper than the Aurora range. Do they work as repeaters as well?

Very tempted to pick up a couple. I don't have an issue with the Auroras buzzing, the ones I have are completely silent dimming incandescent loads. However, they do have some issues dimming LEDs. They're not entirely happy with the two-tone Philips dimmables we have in the kitchen (flickering at 100%) and they don't like the eight Philips dimmables in the dining room either (unusable, they pulse on and off).

I tried the Samotech SM311, but that was a non-starter as the dimmer unit on the back is HUGE. That one went back to them.

Yeah, I'm going to pick up a couple before I get in trouble about the dining room lights. :slight_smile:

You sound like you have had the same issues I’ve with the Aurora Aone dimmers!

These samotech are slightly bigger modules and on a quad faceplate they didn’t all fit next to each other so we had to adapt the plate slightly. However all of my dimmer problems have gone away. There is also no minimum load so can use LED bulbs under 20w in total without worrying.

For the UK market they are best I have found as also don’t need a neutral and you can get the on Amazon!

1 Like

Yes, sounds very similar. I've read you can put an X2 capacitor across one of the lamps to provide a stable bleed-through supply for the dimmer, some other makes require it. I may try that because I really like the Aurora ones except for the LED dimming quirks. They're excellent repeaters and the low blue light is remarkably handy in the dark. :slight_smile:

I bought these but haven’t fitted them yet, they are supposed to help.

Fibaro FGB-002 Dimmer Bypass 2, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016ZR2XBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DQ5V7Q11TNFVDTGANB89?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cheaper alternative.

https://shellystore.co.uk/product/Shelly-Bypass

Are Shelly products cloud based? I’m trying to stay away from cloud based products

Only if you want to use their cloud but they know about your device anyway.

I just ordered the first Samotech SM323... :scream:

From what I can tell the SM323 doesn't allow you to install a neutral as there is no connection for it, even if you have one available. Have you found that leaves any lights flickering, or very dim?

I know I could install a bypass, but it seems a shame given I have neutrals available! Otherwise I'm vaguely tempted to give one of these a go as I do miss the rotary dials on two lights in my house (all the rest are fine with momentary buttons).

I feel your pain - it's like we are sharing the same family...so picky!! :scream: :wink:

1 Like

I'll let you know how I get on - I don't have any neutrals, so this is perfect for me, but I'll post up anything I find about this once I've got it open!

2 Likes

Got my 5 ordered Samotech SM311 today. Installed one so far and it works perfect. I will install the other 4 in a 4 pocket frame, but the frame I already got doesn’t fit 100%. I will look for a new frame before installing them.

An update - I installed the Samotech dimmer into a room that had 5 GU-10's in the ceiling.

It works perfectly, talks to Hubitat straight away, and even gets the approval of my wife/kids!

This could be "the one"...

2 Likes

Installed the other 4 a few days ago and they work great.

I nice feature is that it’s easy to adjust the minimum level. Dial the knob and hold the set button for 2 sec to have that level as the lowest level.
We have three groups of spots in the kitchen and they all have a little different brightness. Now, all is “calibrated” to the same level.
Maybe all smart dimmers work the same way but it was a nice surprise for us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

which driver do the Samotech SM323 devices use?

I'm currently using a dimmer module with a momentary switch but I'd prefer to use a rotary dimmer but the Aurora ones are very expensive and I can't get a hold of them in Ireland

I'm just using the Generic Zigbee Dimmer for these ones, it seems to work fine.

1 Like