Automated Classic Radio

I'm stealing that! When my wife enters geofence and almost home, mine plays the famous TRex roar from movie. When I do same, it's Darth saying "I am your father".

2 Likes

Please do!

Here are our lamps:
The second one was found at Target, the first one is from a thrift store.

Figured I’d throw a little plug for the Evertide day planner in the second photo. It’s pretty spectacular :slight_smile:

1 Like

@april.brandt I really like what you did to that old radio and that light sensor you put to use with Alexa what a good idea and @adamkempenich I like the dinosaurs lights. This community rocks.

2 Likes

Awh thanks! It was @adamkempenich that challenged me to automate it, so I owe him some thanks. If you're looking to do something like t hat, I'm happy to help. I'm actually in the process of getting it integrated with node red to allow some more functionality. I'll post more here later.

ME TOO!!! I just need to get one of my Dad's old radios but we are on lockdown. :frowning_face:

EDIT: This is waiting for me at my dad's. It's not a full size like yours @april.brandt but this is a lot more like to pass the WAF test.

1 Like

Ok, I don't have the radio yet but here is proof of concept using the bias lighting (that is usually white for the TV. Blue seemed appropriate for Alexa) behind my TV. I am not going to put RGB LEDs in the radio, just white. Light stays on as long as she is talking. If I asked her to play music, the lights would have stayed on and then turn off when music stops. I wish the lights turned off quicker but that's as fast as Alexa sends an "empty" status signifying that she is done talking.

You've convinced me that I'm going to keep my light sensor attached for that reason. It lights up almost immediately. I like what you've done!

That's not a light sensor, that's using Node Red nodes

I know .. I'll use it in tandem.

I was able to get my flows for the radio completely though node red. I am using the light sensor as my dot is a second gen and doesn't send all of the commands needed for it to interact how I envision it. There are a few little tweaks that I need to make, but I'm happy with the progress. I'll post some videos in the coming days.

4 Likes

Boy did you hit that nail right on the head there @stephen_nutt

1 Like

@adamkempenich - March 19 to July 28th is a long time to be silent, my friend. Where is your creation?

It's magically shifted itself into the winter to-do list :slight_smile:

I don't believe in magic.
I believe in calculated progress.
:grin:

1 Like

that's ok, you're only giving me more time to make improvements.

1 Like

@april.brandt

Just because you got yours working, don't crush the rest of us who are the middle of similar project but can't finish for various reasons. :grin:

2 Likes

You 're just giving me more time to make improvements. And your excuse is legitimate. @adamkempenich doesn't really have one.
#puttinmeoff

Just waiting for you to come build it for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

uh huh.
:grin:
Have :radio: . Will travel.

Missing your excellent video tutorials too. They've been so helpful. Hopefully we can experience another one before the winter?

1 Like