Automated Classic Radio

I think I might be able to make a Wifi DIY one with a Node MCU board and lux sensor. That will be something new for me to learn. Now, I just need to sneak over to my Dad's and steal one of his old radios. Maybe I shouldn't have sent him a link to this thread.

3 Likes

Yah! I think that would be great. Steal the idea and make it your own. I always love to do show pieces like this. It keeps people interested in home automation or gets them started with it. Let's be real. Who doesn't need a good show off piece in the house?
:raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but @Tim-in-Ca's post reminded me of a 3D print I stumbled upon a while ago. I think it is kinda cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXxwVBOUl0

3 Likes

Now that is very cool and creative. I love it.
Well done!

3 Likes

Yah, that's pretty darn cool! There's another idea for someone to try out. I try to stay off youtube because there are some pretty cool tech ideas out there.

3 Likes

Oops! I should clarify, that is not my design or video. Just something I found while aimlessly wandering the internet.

3 Likes

Why thanks! I love the fun pieces!

2 Likes

I picked that up, but still. Another great idea. That's how they start.

2 Likes

Cool and very apropos, like the music in the video, the stock market is just like it was in the 1920s! 23 Skidoo anyone? :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

Ok, I just did a proof of concept using a NodeMCU board and a BH1750 sensor. $20 for 2 of each on Amazon. I used a power supply I already had. It works great! The sensor is currently just taped to the top of Alexa so that lux is 0. The highest reading I have seen generated when she is talking is over 300 but it spends most of the time around 50. That's definitely high enough to use as a trigger.

Now to determine if the smaller lights on a Google Home Mini will work and to see if I can "borrow" an old radio from my dad.

4 Likes

If you use Node Red with HE, it can be done instantly using a group of Alexa nodes. See here:

No need for a light sensor either.

2 Likes

@april.brandt I am thinking that you might need to upgrade your light strips to something like this. Then the lights will "dance" with the music. :grin:

1 Like

Looks like I'll be investing in a pi soon.
:grin:

1 Like

You are on the edge of another Rabbit Hole!!! If you do and are like us, all of your RM Rules will soon be replaced by Node Red sequences using @fblackburn's integration.

3 Likes

Haha hey! Don't give April all the ideas I'm throwing into mine :laughing:

2 Likes

It's ok @adamkempenich I prefer the classic radio look, so don't worry. I won't make mine look like a rave. :wink:

My wife found a dinosaur lamp she really likes, and has that on top of the radio :laughing: The idea of keeping ours as a classic rock jukebox was thrown out the window pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I'd just be happy to have it light up without figuring out routines, so I'm going to set up a PI and learn node red. Get ready for the questions! Any secrecy is out the window at this point.

2 Likes

My wife is a HUGE Jurassic Park geek. Can you show me picture of lamp and where you got it? My wife tolerates all of my home automation-ing so anything I can do to improve the WAF helps.

Halloween at our house 2018

4 Likes

Absolutely—I’ll do that once I get home later!

When we tell Alexa “it’s dinosaur time” the lights all turn green, and the Jurassic Park theme plays. :slight_smile:

2 Likes