Aurora Smart Lighting Products

Nothing at all Mike
Everything else reports correctly in the logs - just nothing for button 4

@mike.maxwell

With the full logging on.. this was me just pushing each button (inc 4)

Ok i think i see what the issue is.

1 Like

Great!
If you can find it you can fix it :slight_smile:
I'm anxious to play some more with these

Hi, just thought I would drop a note regarding my experiance with with the Aurora Aone Double Socket. I ordered one to test, as I was interested in the energy monitoring feature. Not for monitoring my energy usage, but to allow me to perform certain automations based on measuring various levels of energy usage.

I received a unit yesterday and paired it with Hubitat with no issues. When first powered it goes into pairing mode and hubitat discovers it almost imediatly. Happy days... I then proceeded to turn the switches on and off from the devices created in Hubitat but found after half a dozen switch operations I had turned a socket off put it had the status of being on. Also, when I looked at the coloured rings on the unit they were no longer alternating between red and blue to signify the status of the switch, but had gone off completly. Also I found that I could no longer turn the sockets on or off from Hubitat or by pressing the buttons on the socket itself. After repowering the socket it promtly connected but then failed again shortly after.

Whilst it was working I thought i would check out the energy monitoring feature but found that the device driver was not displaying that capability. It was at this point I decided to message @mike.maxwell and he informed me that this feature was not available on the units that were sent to him from Aurora and therefore that capability is not available in the Hubitat driver.

It did cross my mind that the initial instability of the unit could have been due to the firmware revision of the unit not being up to date so decided to pair with my SmartThings Hub. I had been informed by Aurora technical support that upon pairing it will automatically update the firmware if needed. Anyway once paired I had a look at the information status and found that it was indicating 'Firmware Version Null'. To further my dissapointment I found that after a number of operations of the switches within SmartThings the switch locked up in the same way it had with Hubitat. After a power cycle of the unit it repaired with SmartThings but again the firmware version remained to show null.

I thought I might of had a bit more success with the energy monitoring feature so connected a load upto one of the sockets but found that it was displaying 0W. I did find however that after a couple of minutes it was registering 3W, Very slow to update!

Now these problems I have been experiancing could all be down to the fact that I have a faulty unit and I am going to return for a replacement.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has had any success with these double sockets, especially @sandhufamilia who has purchased 55!

Once you joined it to smartthings did it do a firmware update? You may need to go into the settings and enable it if not.

That seems odd :thinking: I don't think there are different types is there? Maybe it's a ZigBee 3.0 thing?

I haven't experienced any issues yet but haven't pushed any limits yet. I've still got one stubborn socket which won't connect to HE but I've been manually operating the rest of them from HE with no issues. I'll start adding some automations this weekend hopefully so will let you know if I get any issues when they start clicking on and off more often

Hi @BorrisTheCat, no it didn't do a firmware update.

Did you have to perform a firmware update and do you have any energy monitoring capability? I'm guessing not on the latter as you will be using @mike.maxwell in-built device driver which doesn't have this feature.

this is similar to what I observed in my testing, hence reporting to you that energy reporting doesn't work.

It usually takes longer to do a firmware update on ST and i don't think it happens on the join like they said, they probably mean on their own hub. What you can do is change the device type to "Device" and run the get fingerprint (from memory) that will show you in the logs the actual firmware version. Then you can ask @mike.maxwell to let you know what firmware his are on. Before they sent all the kit to him they updated everything.

There's a bug in the energy reporting on these apparently, i left the double outlet joined to the aurora hub long enough that if it was going to update it would have..., they also said these shipped (to me) with the latest firmware already.

1 Like

Hi @mike.maxwell, i'm now thinking about not bothering with getting a replacement. It sounds to me as though this is not a well rounded product and have read in the forums about issues with their other offerings such as the light switches and flickering LEDs.

I am assuming that's about the dimmer? It's because you need a minimum load to work and they only work with a particular dimming mode. If you get this mixed up your have these issues. You have no idea how many times I have seen people try and dim non dimmable lamps aswell :crazy_face::man_facepalming:t3:

a replacement isn't going to fix the power reporting...

Exactly my point!

Its a shame really, as there are not many UK sockets and light switch options available currently.

If they know about the issue they will be working on a firmware fix for it. In my dealings with them they have been honest about any issues and plans too added extra features. They do things differently to others they do seem to rush things out but they are also happy to share their firmware to fix the issue. If HE had the ability to do OTA on ZigBee I know they would be given them the files. I can reach out to my contact and ask if there is a fix in the pipeline?

1 Like

That would be appreciated if you could do that.

I am returning the item I have anyway, as I believe it is faulty in not receiving the firmware update. I have decided to opt for a refund rather than a replacement as the update rate on the energy monitoring is not useable to me. Maybe you could mention this to your contact, as with this feature working satisfactorily I would be looking at replacing all my power sockets in the house.

1 Like

They look nice. Better than the Hue