Aurora Aone Rotary Dimmer

Great stuff, will be interested to compare notes on the behaviour of the rotary dimmer when you get a chance to play with it.

Great news! Are they sending there whole range?

purportedly...

I'm going to order a switch to try out. Are there any updates on support from Aurora?

I haven't got a SmartThings hub in order to update the firmware, would this one do it or do I need the newer model?

The V2 model will do it.

Not sure if they have sent the range yet, they were planning it before Christmas but don't know if they got it done yet?

1 Like

not so far...

Mine is arriving today so i'll see how it goes, going to make sure it fits and suits before buying a smartthings hub.

1 Like

I have 2 of these. Neither fit the two different dimmer fascias I have because I think most modules have the dimmer nob slightly offset to the centre of the module and these are 100% centred. The best way to get them to fit was to pad them out a little so that the mouldings from the fascias don't make it sit at an angle etc. Easily done. I used a rubber washer if memory serves me correctly.

I got this one, presumably sets up the same way

I think it's the same device, just comes with the fascia.

Does anyone know if there would be any advantage in keeping these dimmers connected to SmartThings and using 1 of the hub link apps to link SmartThings to HE? I notice from @martyn's comments above that there are some issue connected to HE, would these be alleviated if connected to ST?

I had to update these on a friend's ST hub and then run only from Hubitat. I guess you'd benefit from future firmware updates if you kept it on ST but it works perfectly fine on Hubitat and I'm not sure there is any need for the future updates.

Martyn (not @Martyn but a different Martyn)

1 Like

My comments were mainly around the hardware itself and the behaviour I'd noticed over ZigBee, as opposed to anything that was HE or SmartThings specific.

I never did hear back from Aurora so not sure why they suddenly went quiet after being so keen initially, but in any case my five Rotary Dimmer devices are still working OK after several months now.

The only glitch I had was one of them coming on at full brightness at 3am which wasn't fun, the device had either crashed and restarted or there was a power glitch that dropped the power to only that device and caused it to restart (I suspect that it crashed). I know it restarted because the Blue LED ring reverts to ON after a power cycle .....

One other thing that I don't like is that there's no consistency in the amount of turning to achieve a particular brightness from room-to-room. For example in my daughter's room one "notch" twist on the rotary control turns the light on and dims up from there .... in my son's room it's four "notches" - same bulbs. And in the spare room, although it's different bulbs, it's about 10 notches before the bulbs suddenly spring to life. But this is really true of any dimmer, it's just more noticeable with a rotary control rather than a push-to-hold momentary switch.

I kind of have the same issue with Lightwave at the moment, that's using the 2 buttons, I was hoping the dial would fix that. I'll try it though, mine's arrived so will fit tomorrow.

That's interesting, particularly where it's the same bulbs. Do the two rooms have the same number of bulbs? I would expect a room with more bulbs to have smaller noticeable adjustments (or more notches to achieve the same change)

me too.

also there is a pot on them isn't there? this is to adjust the dimming range from memory

The dial on the top is to adjust the minimum brightness yes. Can't understand the differences you are experiencing though.

Don't have one, just did the training day on them.
It should be once it's set for that device load, the range should be more or less the same on each dimmer as it chops off the unused range.

Am I correct in saying that you would be able to add this dimmer to a dashboard in order to control remotely? Mine is still in the post, it got sent to Scotland by mistake!

When you finally get the device and fit it, would you mind posting a couple of pictures and also the depth of the box you are fitting it to.
Some of my back boxes are fitted in such a way that the depth of mine vary.
Also if you don't mind give your thoughts on how they are working for you.
I'm really interested in these as I could replace some Lightwave Gen 1 dimmers with these.
Thanks.