August Lock Struggles

Thanks for the tip and it seems to be working better now, meaning it is reflecting the actual state almost instantly, which is great. I also had an hour when no one opened or touched the lock (which usually means the August lock will go to sleep and only wake when someone uses the August app), but surprisingly, Hubitat was still connected to it!

Keeping all fingers crossed at this point. I surely hope this will work! Been a while since these have been talking to each other.

1 Like

@mcollins354 did you exclude and re-include our august locks? or did you do a mesh repair to fix the problem?

I did an exclude.re-include which seemed to work most of yesterday, but was having issues last night, with it not syncing up. It seems to work about 75% of the time, but can't seem to figure out the pattern when it gets off sync. For example, one door (I have two locks), didn't sync up. August app had this locked (which is was), but HE had it unlocked. I tried a few things through the app, than through HE, than manually, but to no avail. I was spacing my attempts out about a minute at a time to let HE "catch up" but HE never changed the status of the lock. Almost as if frozen. Then this morning, right as I am typing this, I tried to unlock than relock it, through the August app, and instantly, the HE changed the status to locked. So now they are syncing again.

Lots of detail, but not a lot of context, I know. I can try the mesh repair and report back, if you think that is helpful? If I am the only one having issues, that is a good thing, I assume.

My current workaround:

1. use ifttt to send unlock state to a virtual switch if I need it to trigger a rule
  2. call a refresh lock state within the rule action right before reading the lock state

What platform version are you on? There are a couple bugs in 2.2.3 that were fixed in 2.2.4+, these are especially necessary if you use a keypad with the lock.

I had issues with the status in HE not updating (I'm on 2.2.3). Switched the device handler to Generic Lock and all working great. Do I miss anything by not using the dedicated handler?

I am on 2.2.4.148.

I will try the generic lock device handler and see if this works over the next few days. Thanks for ideas on this.

I believe the contact sensor aspect is no longer accessible if the generic driver is used.

Thank makes sense, thanks! I am not using sensor, so haven't noticed that.

Has anyone updated the lock firmware beyond 1.59.0-1.8.15? I downgraded to that per this post (posted earlier, obviously). But I got an email recently about an important security update and I was curious to see if anyone had done it? I have a C5 hub, latest firmware on it, and am using August Connect.

See here.

I didn't upgrade, it's working so not fixing it.

Yea I posted there as well but no replies. I was worried as according to that thread, the issue is a security issue to do with the Connects. Do you use those as well?

I migrated all my z-wave devices from a C3 to a C7 last week, went the long route and excludes / included / recreated everything as it gave me the opportunity to clean and rethink my setup.

Anyway, during this process I upgraded the lock to the latest version (1.59.0-2.0.1) and had a lot of trouble including it but once I did it, everything is working quite well! I have to say the doorsense seems to be a lot better now...

This is what I had to do be able to include:

• Placed the C7 hub about a meter from the lock with a long network cable.

• Excluded the lock from the August App (took multiple tries until the lock says it does not have a connection to a z-wave hub), in the hub you get the unknown device excluded message.

• Factory reset the lock from the August App and then re-added it / reconfigured it. If you have a keypad you need to remove it as well. If you have a doorbell or connect you need to re-link the lock with it.

• Once the August stuff is all working well by itself, rebooted my C7 Hub.

• Performed the Z-wave discovery from the Hub and inclusion from the August App following the normal steps. You may get an error in the August app, ignore it, the Lock says it's connected after the error.

• From the hub, when the prompt for security shows up I removed the S0 option, I don't need my lock taking to anything with S0.

• It took a couple of min in "initializing" so be patient.

After that I finally got it included and then moved the hub back to its normal place and it has been working great so far...

I wound up giving up on the August lock. I've had to lock replace three times for three different issues. One with a Z-Wave before moving over to habitat with SmartThings. Another time because of a gearing problem. The issue that broke the camel's back was the Lock would suddenly show unlocked will still in the lock position. The only way to fix it was to pull the battery and put it back in. After months of struggling with that and August could not replace the lock they just replaced. I gave up!

I wind up purchasing an Alfred db2 and so far it's been great. I bought the Z-Wave module and the Wi-Fi bridge. Simple to install, Z-Wave function works every time, Wi-Fi is stable. I can't complain. Yes it is more money than the August but it works. You can even go with the Alfred DB-1 which is a little bit cheaper. And if you don't require the Wi-Fi bridge it's almost the same price as the August lock just with Wi-Fi. Like I said so far it's been great and I've had it for less than a week. Not a single problem unlike my August.