Arylic - Whole home audio

I have wired my home with whole home audio using Arylic amplifiers and ceiling speakers.

I also have my entire home setup with IOT using Hubitat.

I saw that Arylic have now partnered with Fibaro for smart home control and I am wondering what it will take to like Arylic whole home audio to Hubitat?

I wrote an up2stream integration for Hubitat. up2stream is the API that the Arylic devices use for local communication: GitHub - tomwpublic/hubitat_up2stream

I have used it with a variety of devices - including several from Arylic as well as Dayton Audio and others. I don't have it in my Hubitat Package Manager (HPM) listing yet, but the installation and usage instructions are in the readme on GitHub.

4 Likes

Intriguing. I was playing with the API off-and-on (see failed effort to get Hubitat virtual audio controls exposed). I have a working set of controls on my SharpTools dashboard to play/pause and adjust volume. We never really change our master & slave configurations, so I just left that alone.

Taking a look at @tomw 's GitHub link, I ran into similar problems with URI links. Having a reliable path back to your music source is the only way to really implement TTS with these. Using the API for voicerss.org is straightforward, but then there is no way to get back to, say, my wife's Pandora mix. I may have to try your integration to see if I can find a reasonable compromise.

1 Like

You should be able to store away the trackData URI, do your TTS operation (my driver supports speak and playText), and then restore the URI via playTrack.

It gets you pretty close, but you'll likely get moved back to the beginning of the track (or worse, maybe the beginning of the whole playlist). I gave up at that point trying to make it any better.

Correct, I did play with that briefly and was able to get it to speak and then go back to an iHeart Radio station. Yes, it went back to the beginning of the track, as you mention. That is a manageable situation.

I will give the TTS a try later. It would be nice to remove another third party piece from this puzzle. My first swing at using playText seems to cutoff the last syllable.

There are a few other anomalies that I noticed:

• 1 of my 4 Arylic units was not discovered.
  • I fumbled around a bit with the master/slave controls. I had volume controls independent on my dashboard, but did not see an easy way to accomplish that. For now, I just kept my separate "dimmer" sliders that send the master-only or slave-only volume commands.

Overall, very cool.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

The discovery was a little bit flaky, especially if the Arylic devices had been booted up for a while. I guessed that they stopped responding to the discovery commands for some reason, but rebooting the device and then running discovery always made them show back up.

My recollection is a little bit hazy on volume controls. But I think I remember that the slaves stop responding to direct volume control once they are grouped, which is why I added the slave volume adjustments to the group driver.

@tomw - I am curious as to why the driver code refreshes once per minute?

With multiple devices, this becomes quite chatty. Over the past week, it accounted for >90% of my device busy time. I just changed the interval to 30 minutes on my local copy, but wanted to make sure that I was not missing anything.

That was totally arbitrary. I set it to a low number, because at the time I was using their mobile app(s) to set tracks and wanted the status to follow reasonably quickly in Hubitat (for album art, etc).

There shouldn't be any issue with having it refresh less frequently, especially if you primarily use Hubitat to control the devices (since each successful command also triggers a refresh).

Excellent ... thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this app. Works great- I am using the TTS for security notification for my whole house audio.

Only thing I can't figure out why is not working - I don't see "TrackData" or "TrackURI" in the attributes for either the group or the group master device .

Where or how do I get the trackURI of what's playing now so I can later restore or play it ?

1 Like

Great, I'm glad you like it!

You can get the trackURI from the 'up2stream player' child device that corresponds to the group master. Once you have it, you can use that trackURI directly with the parent device for the group.

Thank you Tomw for this great app. I was able to install and it found my two arylic streamers. But i don't see these when i create a virtual device. I am completely new to this and second day after getting the hub. In short answer has to be "answer for idiots". :slight_smile: Thank you again.

Thanks for your interest!

The main link in this post includes a readme with an "installation instructions" section.

Please have a look at that to make sure you have all of the drivers and apps required (better yet, just use Hubitat Package Manager to install and manage it). It gives a couple of suggestions on how to configure things based on how you intend to use it with your system: Arylic - Whole home audio - #2 by tomw

If you still have trouble getting things to show up, please post back here and I can give additional tips.

Thank you so much tomw for the quick reply. I am completely new to this with very little experience in coding. I searched using the HPM, but it did not find the app. I followed your documentation, which by the way is very useful, and used the group installation. I am attaching a screen shot and you can see it got installed. But i was not able to make a virtual switch. You do have that in your instruction, create virtual switch using the up2stream manager instance, but i am not able to do that. Again so much appreciation for you reply.

Ah, the screenshot helps. At this point, you should jump to the Devices section in Hubitat. You'll find the virtual devices there.

Thank you tomw. Unfortunately, that is where my problem is. I can't see it under devices. Do you think if i delete everything and reinstall it, it may work? Sorry for these very basic questions.

No problem. Don't delete it yet!

Let's try creating a new group. Before that, open the Logs window in Hubitat in a separate tab and leave it open.

Then create a new group instance, making sure that you enable logging. Does anything show up in the logs?

Please also show a screenshot of the Devices section in Hubitat after you do that. The device should be of the form "Whole Home Streamer-group"

Ok I did create a group with out any devices added. (Dummy in front of the PC situation) There was an error in the log. attaching all screen shots.

Interesting...if you click on that app:79 link, which app does it filter to?

Also, will you please verify that the two drivers are installed in the Drivers Code section of Hubitat?