Arm/Disarm Arlo using Node-RED

It won't work with 2FA. I've deliberately not implemented that for this reason. But time is running out before they enforce it. Boo Arlo.

I agree with @tray_e, Arlo have no regard for their client base whatsoever. I've been asking (along with many others) for the custom modes to be accessible via IFTTT, literally for years now and they don't give a damn. So sure, we can lobby but it's to deaf ears.

I will likely give this system away or sell it and chalk it up as a mistake.

2 Likes

I wasn't saying not to try. I was just saying do not get your hopes up and that maybe pursue a more proactive approach that doesn't rely on Arlo for support.

Specifically, This chain that has been going on since 2016 and has 24 pages of people commenting (Which this was the preferred method of requesting new features back in 2016)

2 Likes

Exactly correct.

2 Likes

We are both in that thread multiple times LOL

2 Likes

What are you guys thinking about transitioning to when they break the proverbial camel's back, probably with 2FA? The community driven Blink integration looks interesting.

I will probably add more Nest cameras. So far, the Nest integration is coming along nicely.

For me, I have the new version of Nest Aware (Transferred to Google account). So, the subscription covers all cameras in the same home. The benefits are that the Nest appear to be the only ones with zero lag (since they are recording 24/7 when armed). With other cameras, all I was ever catching was the images about 15 to 20 seconds AFTER the trigger of the even. Arlo may have gotten better, but I would not know as I now only use them inside and haven't had any triggers since I moved them.

Right now I have a couple of Webhooks firing off IFTTT (the only 2 applets I have left there) but am looking at how twrecked is doing his Python 2FA (GitHub - twrecked/hass-aarlo: Asynchronous Arlo Component for Home Assistant) for it. May have potential to be ported, but looks to be a little beyond my skillset at the moment - won't stop me from analyzing and seeing if I can break out the key elements though.

I will revert back to IFTTT (hopefully it will be quicker now they are taking 1.99 per month from me :rofl:). But longer term I want to use powered cameras so that I can put their video feeds on my dashboard.

I am running my Arlos as powered cameras. Took a plug out and the usb cord fits in. Some take off the battery door. I just leave it on.

I'm on a 4+ year-old Netgear community thread where we have been begging and pleading with them to give us mode-change, individual camera control, etc via IFTTT. No response at all.

As noted by others, don't get your hopes up unless you're a masochist.

I used to have only netgear stuff - ditched all of them years ago and replaced with UI and HP. If eufy was around when arlos came out I would have gone that direction also. I'm not so dependent on the arlos ever since I started rolling my own system using cheap wyze's/rasperry pi cams.

Yeah, I've done that also but worried the batteries would eventually overheat and blow up if left connected. You leave the batteries in, right? How long have you been running them like this?

No, I do not use the batteries at all. I have them running exclusively off the USB adapter. Since they have such a lag, I am only using them inside. So, theoretically, anyone breaking in is going to get captured on my outdoor nest cams (which are recording 24/7 and running off of UPS powered cords) I just couldn't make myself throw the Arlos away and added them in locations where the lag doesn't matter.

Okay, Coffin meet nail..... https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/No-AC-power-warning-arlo-pro-and-Arlo-pro-2/m-p/1796793

New Arlo Error with THEIR OWN APP

Between this, the new 2FA issue that will break the integration with node red, and the serious lag, Arlo has just become to cumbersome to deal with.

Anyone want an old base station and two old cameras? LOL

I've been getting the same error message. It's a minor annoyance as the cameras still work fine and live view/recordings are accessible after you hit ok on the error message.

It may be a minor annoyance for you. But for me and several others on the link I posted, it locks up or doesn't work after you click ok. So, I now have some expensive paperweights, unless you would like to take them off my hands. It's also a recurrence of a problem they supposedly fixed a few months ago. So, that alone is reason to say shame on them....

I wonder what's the difference between your setup and mine then. I run only on battery and have no zones setup, 2FA is on.

I don't know. I have the USB power plugged in. However, they are on battery backup. So, I KNOW they have not been disconnected from power. But, there are several others as well with the same problem who are only on battery power. 2FA doesn't seem to matter. It is the app version. Any phone that got the update on/after 10/15 has the error message. Some of us can't do anything. I CAN'T set up zones on my Arlo cameras. So :man_shrugging:.

At this point, I am not really caring anymore. Just like ST, I am tired of having to find workarounds to just make things work.

Weird. My arlo cameras have been pretty much 100% pain free. They are on solar panels, so no battery worries, they record when they are supposed to, and I can view the cameras when I need to from the app.

I have new base stations and Pro 3 cameras, so maybe the newer stuff works more reliably? Dunno.

That may be. I know I had to move my cameras into locations that people would have to be in the frame for an extended amount of time in order to capture any events. The lag on mine is horrible... .to the point that all I saw when packages were delivered is the delivery vehicles leaving the driveway. That experience, along with the geofencing being in "beta" for the first three years, and along with they way they removed access to ST users (no warning, we all found out when things just stopped working), and the fact that despite the fact that NUMEROUS users have been requesting access to their own custom modes (or at least the scheduled mode) through IFTTT...... I just did not see any point in investing in them anymore.

I did my best to keep them alive and useful only because I spent way too much money to have them turn into paper weights. That said, I think they and I are done.