Are there any actual smart rocker switches?

Without a neutral, where is this electromagnet going to get power from to activate?

3 Likes

Same way other devices that don't require a neutral do.

So make them bigger like the one I just posted.

So we are back to a dimmer that leaks juice from the bulbs?

2 Likes

Per national electrical code, you can't just put more stuff into a box. There are box fill requirements and these smart switches already are pushing the limits. To add more stuff you would only be able to put one switch in a double gang box.

2 Likes

If you mean something that protrudes forward from the workbox, I would find the aesthetics of that to be ugly. But again, that's a design concept to present to a manufacturer. Little point in debating it here.

Also, put a Switchmate on a 3-way switch, and you're back to being uncertain whether "up" is on, and "down" is off.

1 Like

They all "bounce back" but the 1st 3 the resting position is as you see them the the 3rd one rest position is in the middle.

Not if the OP always wants a latching switch to always top be on. There is no magic troll that puts a switch back to the position they want by mind reading.

I also have latching switch which is tied to a contact input. You can use that and do conditions just like a button press event.

Trigger switch "changed"

If (light ON)
Turn OFF
Else
Turn ON
End.

But in that setup is the same as a two way switch the up event " edge press" and "edge release" do both on and off.

O yeah this does exist with exactly as you say. Looked great but had massive limitations and never got off the ground. To my knowledge the company went down the pan. I'll try and remember it's name.

But this isn't electrical wiring it's having something ensure the wiring is correct. One if the issue though was two way because the switch would change to turn on the light or if you turned it on / off remotely it did the same thing a two way then didn't work.

2 Likes

While I know you use them as switches, because they bounce back to a pre-determined position, I view them more as "momentary buttons".

4 Likes

@paul4 - I think I have found your dream smart switch!

4 Likes

Yeah that is how in program they are used. There phisical term is retractable switch :grinning:

1 Like

Nope. There are on/off switches that don't require a neutral. All you need is separate circuitry inside and two wires for electricity to work. There's no reason it couldnt be a relay type design.

Example? It is possible to have a dimmer switch without a neutral but the load must be dimmable, and behave well when provided a trickle current.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZQZJ8J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_09YDFWACMX1EGMG933SJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And of course smart plugs don't require a neutral.

The Lutron Caseta PD-5WS does not require a neutral. It obviously does require a small amount of leakage current to power itā€™s internal ā€œsmartā€ circuitry/radio.

https://support.lutron.com/us/en/product/casetawireless/article/troubleshooting/CasƩta-Wireless-Switches

1 Like

What kind of outlet doesnā€™t have a neutral pole?

6 Likes

Single phase, 120VAC Smart Plugs do require a neutral. Every wall outlet, that you connect a smart plug to, does indeed have a neutral wire connected to it.

4 Likes

I'm talking about the plug in smart plugs. They don't require a neutral. They have positive negative and ground. Not neutral.

No, they don't. I have no neutrals in my own condo. I think people are confusing the ground with a neutral.

Off all the things youā€™ve posted, this is demonstrably false, and suggests a very limited understanding of the matter at hand.

Can you post an example of a single smart plug that works without a neutral?

4 Likes

:joy:

Thatā€™s not how AC works.

5 Likes