Are Hue Motion sensors fast?

Personal experience. Not saying I have hard data. I have the Hue Outdoor. Love that sensor. Solid and yes, fast. I also have a Hue indoor sensor. I found it slow on Hue and I found it slow on Hubitat. To me, it's just doesn't seem as fast as the outdoor and the IRIS, Centralite or Sylvania Lightify (also Centralite) are the best for speed. I put it back on Hue because for the particular way my bathroom lights work, it was just better suited there.

1 Like

Home Depot and Best Buy carry them in stores. BB just had the outdoor $10 off last week.

Just a short flight over ha ha.

I'm in Australia, but our JB Hifi stocks them and so do Bunnings. Outdoor ones are on special at 71 AUD... Which is cheaper than normal at least.

So the outside hue motion are definetly for outside appearance. And it seems the inside ones aren't any thing that special.. However most people seem to focus on speed rather than distance which is where my SmartThings motion lacked.. So hopefully someone can recommend a reasonably long range (more than 15 feet or 5m reliably) for internal use that they know are better than the SmartThings (I've yet to check my xiaomi motion so perhaps they are better (as my mesh is good for xiaomi).

I should note that my SmartThings motion work really fast and reliable... Except for range of detection is quite limited

1 Like

If you’re able to get the latest Samsung SmartThings, they are fast and have good detection. They seem to be very stable too. I just tested mine and it detects me 20 feet away. Are you talking about the older ones?

Xiaomi are very short range. Around 13 feet. If you’re looking for longer indoor range in Zigbee, the Samsung are good.

Yeh I have the latest SmartThings motion, v5 off memory. I find the range doesn't cover a 4m x 3m room when in the corner of the ceiling (2.7m ceiling) and I'm in the other other corner. That's more like 15 feet and really the detection is less than that.

They respond quickly, just I don't find I get anywhere near 20 feet reliably.

I just tested this out on one of my ST sensors. I'm mainly using it for temp monitoring at the moment, but it's mounted on the wall at one side of a large foyer. I walked along the other wall (about 9-10m away), and it detected me easily. I'm not sure why you would be having issues at just 15ft away.

One thing, in case you don't already know this: PIR motion sensors detect best when something moves across their field of view, rather than towards/away from the sensor. Could this be a factor in your sensor's performance?

1 Like

I have several Sylvania motion sensors and get at least 20 feet in range. They are much more sensitive than my Iris V2.
I have a couple ring V1 motion sensors that will pick up a rabbit at 30 feet (mounted under the eves), but they take about a second to wake up and register.

Wow. I don't get that from this one unfortunately.

I may look to see if they are all the same as I have 3x of them in the house but only rely on one which is the one in that room so haven't checked the others.

Yeah this really can affect response / detection times. [quote="jason-lane, post:42, topic:25890"]
PIR motion sensors detect best when something moves across their field of view, rather than towards/away from the sensor. Could this be a factor in your sensor's performance?
[/quote]

1 Like

I wonder if the orientation (which way up) matters for these sensors. They don't have such an obvious "up" when looking at them from the front but some sensors seem to be designed to look somewhat downwards, as they're usually mounted higher up on a wall. I have mine mounted so that the text on the label on the back is the right way up.

1 Like

I too put mine up with the text on the rear label up the right way. I'll check if all my sensors are the same detection range.

Curios, Honestly just powered up my Hubitat for the first time yesterday.. Added the Lutron Smart Pro Hub, multiple lights, and Homeseer door contacts. When I tried to pair the HS-MS100+ I'm not having any luck. When Pairing Secure Inclusion Mode, it shows up and gives me "8" sub items, but will not change current start on screen. If i remember correctly it pairs under "Ring Sensor" I ran exclusion, and tried with Non Secure Inclusion, shows up as Generic, but doesn't seem to do anything at all. Just wondering what Pair method you used, and if you could point me int he right direction.

I would try excluding it again and reset it. Include it normally as close to the hub as possible, and check to see if it is using the generic z-wave motion sensor driver. I don't use Hubitat for devices anymore so maybe someone who does can chime in.

Trying to cut to the chase here. Bottom line, what is the fastest motion sensor with long better life with market availability ?

In general, most users report that Zigbee motion sensors are faster than Z-Wave motion sensors. The SmartThings (2018 and the probably identical Aeon Zigbee model) sensors are pretty fast for me, so maybe you got a dud or are dealing with a hub or network issue.

Historically, I've been a fan of anything OEMed by Centralite, including the beloved Iris v2 sensors, but those are long out of production and the only thing I'm aware of that they have in stock now is their own Micro Motion Sensor. It's fast for me, but it uses a coin cell battery rather than one of the cylindrical sizes, so I'm not sure how life will compare (but even a bit less than multiple years on my Iris v2 sensors would be OK with me!). For some recent community favorites, you may wish to check out this thread:

3 Likes

As Robert says:

1. Zigbee will almost always (always in my experience) be faster than Z-Wave
  2. Iris V2 and V3 are my speed champs. You can still find the Iris V3 on eBay on and off, and they use cylindrical batteries and have long life. They are also small - V2 is very small, V3 a little larger but also reports humidity. Both report temperature.
  3. Centralite makes great gear, and the one Robert referred to does motion and temp. Also looks good and is relatively small.

There is also the SONOFF, but IMHO it's pretty darn ugly, and did not pass the WAF test in our home. :slight_smile: (Says Switch below in the link but the page it goes to has the motion sensor.)

The Hue sensors are probably a good as any other and better than most. Even "in production" models may be hard to come by right now... especially the more desirable ones like you are asking for.

I have several of the Hue outdoor. They respond very quickly, have great range, and the battery life is frankly unbelievable. According to Hubitat, I installed my first one over my garage door in November 2019. Last week it stopped reporting events, and despite the battery reporting 100%, I thought maybe it had finally died. I opened it up and tested the 2AA batteries, and they are still VERY strong. I re-paired it with the controller, and it is again working like a champ. This is the ONLY problem I've ever had with any of the 3 of them I have had for over 2 years now. The temp and lux reporting work well, and the lux comes in handy for turning morning and evening automations on and off. I have one over my front door, and one in the garage. I could have gotten a cheaper sensor for the garage, but then might have needed 2 to reachthe far side of the room. The range on the Hue outdoor easily covers the whole area.

I'm thinking I should replace an older zwave motion sensor which is slow, not entirely reliable, and requires more frequent battery changes. I just haven't bothered because that one is in a low priority area.