Are dedicated Z Wave repeaters overrated?

A very nice house and an excellent z-wave network​:muscle::muscle:

Full wave antennas help.

8 Likes

Could you please explain what are these antennas and How to use them?

Those would be considered a slight modification to the hub, but very nice.

1 Like

I don't see anything... Those are just stick-on ears...

5 Likes

One of the few complaints I have about the HE hardware, is that they need a much better (bigger) antenna. At least the option to purchase and plug-in a better antenna(s).

@lewis.heidrick Please PLEASE PLEASE tell us how to modify a C7 HE to add better antennas.

After attempting to use Aeotec Repeaters, and getting no value from them, I threw them in the unused Z-wave crap box. After reading this thread, I decided to submit a Trouble Ticket with Aeotec. Here is their response:

Typically Z-Wave will try to automatically form neighbors/routing as a part of its specification, it could be determined that another device may be a better route to communicate through.

So in this case i would recommend these steps if possible to do so:

1. Remove any other repeating type device (ie z-wave switches, dimmers or anything that powers from a wall) and have them temporarily unplugged but leaving devices you want to repeat through the repeater

2. Run a network repair if available to force your network to resync your nodes

Generally the best way to determine if they are working is to check the neighbor node IDs that are listed in each device which should tell you what kind of routes your devices can take back and forth from the hub.

1 Like

Right, but they look COOL as hell!. Here's another picture of Lewis doing a zwave inclusion...

(with thanks to the folks at W1AW)

5 Likes

Beats my 1/2 wave antennas... but my donuts looks prettier. :smile:

I'm about to upgrade the antennas and tcu on my truck. Painted it myself to match my truck.

I need to figure out a way to more tightly integrate it into my home automation stuff.

1 Like

More than one way to skin a cat!

1 Like

Did you just crack open the case and mount a female SMA and get an off the shelf 900 and 2.4 antenna? Is there enough coax inside or is it a PCB antenna?
I'm sure you've voided you warranty :wink:
My coverage sucks for my shed and the door locks are always woefully struggling even though I have repeaters next to them.

Here’s a long thread to learn more :joy:

Thanks for the great detail!
My great worry in doing these things is the connectors. They are so specific these days that if you get one wrong you're reording until the cows come home.
I just replaced my 45 year old Weller station with a Hakko so I need to break the seal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need a u.fl connector to solder to the board, and then the antenna you get depends on the pigtail that connects to the antenna. I prefer rp-sma antennas as the connector wears out on the antenna side and not the hub side but regular sma antennas are fine as well. Especially if you plan on reusing an antenna you already have since they are likely sma unless you fly drones.

Just need to make sure the connectors match. Either rp-sma to u.fl pigtail and rp-sma antenna, or sma to u.fl pigtail and sma antenna.

You can message me if you have any questions but pretty much everything you need to know is included in that thread.

1 Like