Are dedicated Z Wave repeaters overrated?

Do you just put the hub into inclusion mode and then plug in the Ring Gen2 and it will include into your zwave network?
Thanks again for the help.

If it is already excluded or never been paired to a hub...

Start pairing in Hubitat.

Then plug it in, wait a second or two, and then once the LED starts flashing hold the button on the front until it starts pairing with Hubitat - should only take 1-2s to start classic pairing.

By default it wants to pair via smart start, holding the button on the front while it is in pairing mode puts it back into classic pairing mode.

Or I guess if you pair it via smart start in hubitat then it should 'just work'. I think I did one of mine that way, but it is hard to remember.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

Is this Ring Gen. 2 Repeater that folks seem to like?

https://smile.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Range-Extender/dp/B07ZB2VP4K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ring+repeater&qid=1633655761&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTlE5MTZSMVJTNDVPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzU2ODE4MkYxMlVCUFU3MldMRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTU2OTE3M0I2R1ROT0s4N0w5QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

yes

Regarding Ring (and any repeater, really), YMMV...I found the Ring repeater to be a non-starter for me...just didn't repeat, tried two a couple locations and gave it several weeks. Just my mesh/luck, I suppose.

I do have a very ugly Hank Plug (that's its real name) that does repeat for me (currently helping 7 devices). I eventually gave up and sent the Ring to @lewis.heidrick for him to abuse in his Z-Wave Mesh of Terror. :wink:

I do find GE switches to be good repeaters...numerous ones in my house are providing that service.

Ok, for fun I purchased one of these. I'm going to replace one of the Aeotec Range Extender 7s in one of the locations that I really, realy think a range extender would help -- and see if the Ring gets used where the Aeotec does not. Will report back in a few days once it's in and the mesh has settled down.

3 Likes

Zwave really is a fickle beast. I checked the secondary hub again this morning, and now I've got 4 devices repeating through one, and only 2 devices repeating through the other. My post above was literally only 22 hours ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think having a repeater also gives the mesh flexibility to route through it as needed kind of like a "plan B" but having said that I haven't had much luck either.. I suspect the Hub routing table hangs on to the original routes maybe far longer than necessary and seems very resistant to change. Maybe that's by design though dunno.. good for stability if you have a strong mesh from the outset.

1 Like

The one universal truth: Every time I learn a little more about Zwave behavior and think I "get" it, I turn out to be wrong.

I still get the occasional multisecond delays and I just can't figure out why. Can't be coverage since I have a bajillion nodes. No ghost nodes, etc. I'm just learning to live with it because I can only invest so many hours in to trying to figure it out. Ultimately it's not the end of the world if an LED switch takes a few extra seconds to change color, or if the blinds take a few seconds to close at bedtime -- gotta pick my battles in life and home automation, I guess. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

THIS!!!!!! As @jwetzel1492 mentions.. dark magic..

Several things I've done to try and help mitigate issues:

• Offloading as much processes from my HE hub as possible - minimal apps etc. (use Node-RED for most of my control functions/rules)
  • Using button press events and optionally smart bulb mode instead of switch events where feasible. Seems button presses are faster as I suspect they don't wait for the relay.
  • Removing any older Z-Wave only devices.
  • Separate hubs for Zigbee & Z-Wave - have also done by location which works as well.
  • Standardizing on well known working devices (Zooz, Inovelli, and/or newer GE).
  • Zigbee for a lot of things..

etc...

My experience is similar. These things tend to route much more often than my aeotec repeaters. Not sure why...

Hmmm, really? I have not done this. I have a C7 with both radios on and then a C5 with all the lan/cloud stuff. This is recommended just to offload further?

In my case my Zigbee stuff is on my C-5 because the ZB radio is the same as on the C-7. I have 3 hubs: C-7 for Z-Wave, C-5 for Zigbee, and an additional C-5 for cloud/network. I did this because I had the hubs on hand. It seems to work great for my situation. Not sure if it really necessary but it does prevent a busy ZW Hub from shutting down ZB processes.

1 Like

Direct connect everything ftw!

7 Likes

Of course, that is in your tent with no concrete or brick or mirrors, right?

3 Likes

"Yurt"... that's what all the cool kids are doing these days... :rofl: :circus_tent:

1 Like

I have the same - one C7 and two C5s, but one of my C5s is just my sandbox for screwing around. At least twice I have used it just to restore and old backup and retrieve a lost rule. Kinda nice to have a spare.

1 Like

Rather, I believe that's in his tent/yurt totally surrounded by concrete, bricks, and mirrors. Nothing unexpected gets in, and nothing needed gets out. :wink:

2 Likes

That's in my brick home with some very large mirrors, fireplace, and all the other usual obstructions around 3200 sq/ft.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13118-Hawkins-Bnd-Houston-TX-77044/126259414_zpid/?view=public