Arduino Nano Matter based device won't add to Hubitat

Was playing around with an Arduino Nano Matter device. And I've found that it will not add to Hubitat.

I think the current Arduino matter examples/libraries made the device show up as a hub/bridge, which may be why. It's kind of funny, in Amazon you can't even see the sensor value (likely getting tripped up by device type too), but you can see the sensor ion Google.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Get Arduino Nano Matter
  2. Load the example Matter_Humidity_Sensor.ino to the device
  3. Add device to Amazon or Google thread network
  4. Share from Amazon or Google to Hubitat
  5. Try to add to Hubitat as a Matter device by entering the numeric pairing number.

I think @ogiewon may have seen the same thing on his device/test.

Note, it will share from Amazon/Google to Home Assistant correctly (although notice that the device type is "bridge"), and I'll share the screenshot of that below just as a reference:

How it looks in Amazon:

How it looks in Home Assistant:

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Does it pair to Hubitat?
What is the fingerprint (use the Devicendriver ‘Get Info)?

I’ll try too. I was pairing to HA, which worked but I had no sensor value device. I then realised that HA had no sharing feature implemented in their Matter integration (yet). I don’t think HE have it either… do they? So going to try via Apple instead.

I wonder if Arduino might implement a Thread border router eventually.

Yes, I forgot to outline this - you must first pair the device to another system that works as a Matter Comissioner - Apple Home, Google, Alexa.

Then share the device from one of these systems, using the new QR code generated there.

I recently received an Arduino "Nano Matter" microcontroller and was able to load up the example RGBW light sketch. This sketch uses the Nano Matter's onboard color LED.

After loading the sketch, I was able to easily pair it to me Apple Home, which uses my AppleTV 4K as a Thread Border Router. I am able to control the color, level, and on/off status of that little LED from within Apple Home with no issues.

When the Arduino Nano Matter paired with Apple Home, it created two entities. The first one was a bridge device. The second device was the Color Bulb.

I then tried to 'Share' the color bulb with Hubitat, but there was no option to do so. I then tried sharing the bridge device. That device has the option to share it, however Hubitat was never able to successfully add the bridge device whatsoever.

I then tried sharing it from Apple Home to Home Assistant, and that worked immediately. I can now control the Nano Matter's little color LED from both Apple Home and Home Assistant without any issues. It was also been stable and reliable over the past few days.

I have not experimented with any of the other example sketches at this point.

I am just starting to play with Matter devices, and thus this is a learning experience for me. I was just impressed that the Arduino Nano Matter and associated example sketch that I tried worked so easily. I hope to have more free time to mess around with this little device in the coming days/weeks.

2 Likes

Try the community created Matter Advanced Bridge

1 Like

No. Stops at attestation. Likely because of the device type - hub/bridge.

I have not tried that.

Which Matter commissioner did you use tp pair the bridge (not the device) to HE?

I've tried the Arduino Nano Matter paired to both Amazon and Google's thread networks. At different times, obviously.

Neither would successfully share the device to Hubitat (but both will share it with Home Assistant).

Try sharing the bridge device from Apple Home to Hubitat. If pairing is successful, it will be assigned automatically the default 'Device' driver. Click on the 'Get Info' button, I will need to look at the fingerprints are shown in Hubitat.

Then, manually change the driver to the 'Advanced Matter Bridge' and click on the 'Discover All' button. When the discovery process finishes, refresh the page - the Arduino sensors should be exposed as child devices.

Unfortunately I don't have any Apple devices, so can't.

It isn't a big deal to me, I'll just have to wait until Hubitat and/or Amazon/Google Matter support progresses further. Even if it works on Apple, that isn't a real solution for the majority of users.

Need the main vendors (Amazon, Google, Apple) to step up their support of THEIR standard and get the hubs/coordinators working better... :wink:

1 Like

Amazon and Google hubs are also Matter Comissioners, and they can do the same - put the Arduino controller into Matter pairing mode, and generate a QR code to be used in Hubitat.
The specific here is that the Arduino controller is presented as a Matter Bridge, which makes sense, as I suppose you can have multiple and different sensors (temperature, humidity, contact, etc...) controlled by one and the same Arduino ?

Correct, which is why I assume it presents itself as a bridge (even on the code examples where there is only 1 sensor present).

Ah, I think I see what you are asking now. Sorry I didn't get it. Pair the device straight to Hubitat instead of going through amazon/Google 1st? I can try that tonight easily enough.

EDIT - never mind, that made no sense... It is a thread device, so can't pair straight to Hubitat.

No, you can not pair a Matter device directly to Hubitat. You always need to pair it to one of the Google Home, Alexa or Apple hubs first.

Then, from Google Home or from Alexa or from Apple home find the option for sharing the same Matter device to other systems. This is what is called ‘commissioning’ and what lacks in Hubitat Matter implementation yet.

1 Like

That is what I did, but from Amazon and Google (separate attempts). It will not pair to Hubitat, it fails during the pairing process.

Same result whether the device is paired to Amazon 1st and then shared, or paired to Google 1st and then shared.

Sorry I was being dense. I thought I explained that is what I did in the OP so assumed you were asking for something else.

And this is also what I did from Apple Home. I never got Hubitat to pair the Arduino Matter Bridge device. I don't recall the details off the top of my head, and I am away from home currently, but it never completed the Matter pairing process. HA paired it immediately after being shared from Apple Home.

Unfortunately, there are no detailed logs to see where the problem with the pairing to HE could be.

1 Like

Do you still have the error code?

1 Like

Just to clarify the original Matter pairing code provided to pair with eg Apple is not what you put into HE - you have to use the 'shared' code that Apple subsequently provides. The temperature sensor does not offer this but the bridge does so I can get that far.

But stupid question time... when you first load the Arduino sketch and run it then an 11 digit Matter pairing code is provided in the serial monitor and also a url to a QR code. However once paired that info never appears again. If I want to unpair it from Apple and repair it with say Google I need that code. How can I get it back as serial monitor goes straight to

Matter temperature sensor
Waiting for Thread network...
Connected to Thread network
Waiting for Matter device discovery...
Matter device is now online
.. and reports temp repeatedly
Current CPU temperature: 32.35 C
Current CPU temperature: 32.85 C
Current CPU temperature: 32.35 C
Current CPU temperature: 32.85 C

This shows correctly in Apple Home and HA if you paired to that
But no setup/pairing code listed - do I have to somehow factory reset the Nano Matter ?

PS This note in the Arduino docs may explain why sensors are not shareable directly - maybe the coloured light bulb works... that is why I want to re-pair with say Google or even Apple again... but can't see a way to do it...

"The matter_lightbulb example is the only officially Matter-certified profile for the Nano Matter Community Preview. Consequently, while running any of the other available profile examples, it is expected to get an Uncertified device message in the different Matter-compatible apps. This does not prevent the user from prototyping a solution with different configurations.
"