Aqara FP2 released

Iā€™m finding it as fast as my other sensors, but am not very picky.

Also note that I have two of these and have found that one will quickly notice when someone left, but the other wonā€™t. Not sure the differenceā€¦ This second one will sometimes register presence for several minutes after a room is emptyā€¦ so these are unfortunately not yet perfect.

1 Like

That's odd. I'm using Home Assistant with their HomeKit emulator, and the lux values come across as sensors there. I also remember seeing them in my Apple Home app before deleting them from that so I could add them to Home Assistant.

Nice! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: First unit failed after just 6 hours. Showed a red error light from the start which I was unable to clear with resets. Now completely dead.

Second unit is installed in its place, but Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s the firmware update that killed the first one. It was working for a few hours after the update, but completely dead when we came home this evening.

At least you can return/exchange it to Amazon easily!

(I have two FP1s I got on Aliexpress that failed after 3 weeks and am SOL on getting anything back from the seller or Aliexpress.)

1 Like

Yikes! These are way too expensive to make that acceptable. Iā€™ve read other reports of short lived and DOA units, and frankly if this second unit also dies on me, then Iā€™m not likely to try again.

[Edit] Just checked on the second unit and it too is now dead after just 3 hours! Same thing. No status light and no response to reset.

2 Likes

Ouch! I also have two, and although my latest one doesnā€™t work as well as the first, they both do work. Very sorry to hear both of yours went belly-up!

2 Likes

I've searched and I'm not finding very many reports of dead devices like this. It's possibly a bad batch that both of these just happened to be part of.

What I did see in the short time they were working was the ghost effects that I've read about and heard several reviewers comment on. I also noticed quick response on presence, and then suddenly slow response.

All this to say, I truly am disappointed that once I finally changed my mind and decided to try mmW devices, this is the experience I had.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not fun when the first experience with a new technology is not goodā€¦ The one problematic device I have has ghost presences. Iā€™ve contacted them and will see what we can do to resolve.

I also have to FP1ā€™s, the first one which works perfectly in our bathroom, the second I have in place, but not started using yetā€¦ will see!

2 Likes

Based on your experience I figured I better get mine connected and functional before the return window expires. I was finally able to get mine to connect to an older 2.4 ghz router and using a different device (not my phone) to configure the settings. Worked first time on the second device. Not sure why my phone wasn't able to complete the configuration. Now that its online, my phone does look like it will work to configure the zones.

1 Like

Edited my previous posts, as I've now taken a closer look at what went wrong. This failure must have been caused by a faulty 5v power supply, which I've now permanently retired from service. All the more reason that Aqara shouldn't have skimped on providing one with a device at this price point.

Based on my findings, I'll be reordering to give them another try when they're back in stock. At the very least, I'd like to be able to test longer than 6 hours! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Somewhat ironically, I'm using the 5V supplies from my non-functioning FP1s with the FP2s.

2 Likes

You may want to consider a change unless you are certain the power supply didn't contribute the premature failure of your FP1.

I wonder if, since they donā€™t provide their own power supply, should the unit not have the capacity to handle over current issues? Especially at the current price pointā€¦?

1 Like

Iā€™m just guessing, but it looked to me like there may have been an over voltage in this case. One unit appears to have a blown capacitor and the other appears to have a blown bridge rectifier.

Supplying a power supply with the device would cost more and be regional, but :man_facepalming: Every cheap security camera Iā€™ve seen includes the 5v adapter. If they can make the pricing model work for devices that are often $50 or less, than Aqara should be able to do the same at this price point.

2 Likes

I only used one of them; the other FP1 was connected to a powerstrip with a USB port. But my devices didn't die like yours -- they just stopped responding (and now won't properly reset). I did open them up but didn't find anything obvious blown like you did.

1 Like

Need a powerful loupe to see these. I have one that is lighted which makes it easier to spot issues. Without that, it would have been almost impossible to see, but that telltale smell was present.

1 Like

I have just got the aqara fp2..
So far it works great...
From what I have read, there is no habitat driver..
Please tell me it's not true

There is no hubitat driver but it can be brought in by Homekit, Echo, and Google as well as HA I believe.

1 Like

Yup - that is how I am doing it, with a virtual switch/presence sensor an it works great.

2 Likes