Aqara FP2 released

Thanks! Despite not being discounted and $10 CAD more per device, itā€™s actually $10 USD less in total than I paid for two from Amazon.com
Plus they claim Iā€™ll get it faster.

In light of this, I ordered two from Amazon.ca Keep your eyes peeled if youā€™re in the US, because Iā€™m about to cancel my order and two will be briefly available soon after :wink:

1 Like

Tried to order one again, but OOS.

Ended up ordering Lewis' Everything Presence One kit.

1 Like

^^^ What he said ^^^

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXWZMQJ3
Price is now $83.

1 Like

And in stock as of 9:40 CDT! Mine is on its way!

^^^ what he said ^^^

Lasted almost 2 hours.

2 Likes

Back in stock again at FP2 Amazon Canada

Yay! Thanks! Ordered myself a second unit. :blush:

1 Like

And I just received my second unit today.

Oddly, the first unit was extremely difficult to setup in HomeKit. Not sure whyā€¦. For the second unit, setup was a breeze! Took seconds.

But the setup of zones within the Aqara app was a pain! It just wouldnā€™t show me my position on the floor layout. I finally found that if I left to the ā€œmainā€ screen and came back, It would show where I was standing. But it wouldnā€™t show movement. Made it much more difficult to setup my zones, but it did end-up working.

The zone presence seems to be a bit glitchy with this second unit. It will sometimes retain presence for a bit when the zone is empty, but up to now, seems to eventually correct itself. This only means that lights will remain on a bit longer than they should, but isnā€™t that much of an issueā€¦

Overall, I really, really like this new presence sensor!

3 Likes

I got two of these. I was really surprised that the MAC addresses have different OUIs. One is 68:ab:bc and the other is dc:ed:83. Both are registered to Beijing Xiaomi Mobile.

2 Likes

Still waiting

2YRex5

Got mine today but struggling to set it up. Fails to send the wifi configuration. First I changed the SSID for my 5ghz wifi because the app wouldn't let me select the 2.4 unless they used different SSIDs. Then I was able to select the right network and enter the password. Next the app connects to the temp wifi of the sensor and attempts to configure the FP2 wifi settings. Each time i get this error...

I've tried changing my encryption settings from WPA2-Personal [AES] to WPA2-Personal [TKIP] + WPA2-Personal [AES] with no change. Not sure what else to try...

Also, this little thing seems to get pretty warm... anyone else notice that?

Try disabling mobile data. I know some devices will check WiFi for internet connectivity and, if there is none, will continue to just use the mobile connection.

2 Likes

That didn't help, but I appreciate the tip.

Also tried with no security on the wifi with no effect. Might have to dig up an old 2.4 gHz router and see if that makes any difference.

If the error is to be taken at face value, that looks like the app is saying it failed to get the WiFi settings sent to the FP2.

Could be poor error handling though.

This is exactly how Iā€™m doing it!

I got mine (5, with apparently perfect timing) a few weeks ago from Amazon, and I ended up deleting my original time based light rules in favor of these amazing sensors.

I was having a hard time following the Aqara zone setup wizard until I found a post somewhere saying to completely ignore that and set the zones manually.

I was happy to see the additional zones being shared to HomeKit, but slightly disappointed the lux values are not. I was able to workaround this by creating an additional virtual switch per device and using it as a ā€œlow lightā€ switch, then with HomeKit automations I turn these devices on when lux value is below 10.

I got 1 sensor in the kitchen/dining room, 1 in the bathroom, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in my basement home office, and 1 in the laundry.

I love to see the lights turn on and off as I move around the house. The bathroom one even detects if Iā€™m in the shower behind the curtain! And the bedroom sensor only turns on the lights if thereā€™s no one on the bed.

2 Likes

What is a ā€œvirtual presence sensors with switchā€? Is that a virtual switch or virtual presence or something else? Can a switch set a presence (device)?

It's a built in virtual sensor type. Create a new device and under "type" select "Virtual Presence with Switch."

As the name says, it is a virtual device (software only) that reports and can be used to set presence, either via presence states (present/absent) or switch states (on/off).

It is pretty useful for integrations that donā€™t support setting presence states.

1 Like

Ah. Ok. Didnā€™t know there was such a device type. Nice.

How good are these FP2's for motion with regard to speed? I think I read on the forum somewhere that they were better for keeping lights on when a room was occupied but were slower to respond than standard motion sensors.