Aqara FP1 and P1 motion sensors

Thanks for the tip, Krassimir! I'll do it.

@kahn-hubitat, that is exactly the question: Rule Machine - at least the 5.1 version, that I'm using - don't see presence as one of the device attributes. The answer was given above by Krassimir.

no it wasnt custom attributes are a different thing than normal atrributes.. ie

It's a lot faster than I thought it was supposed to be - but to be fair have not really been tracking all that much.

I've only had 2 issues with my powder room setup - once light went on for no particular reason I could discern and the other it turned off once while I was, ahem, occupied and relatively still... just like the regular motion sensor behaved. Has not done either thing since then so :man_shrugging: - Also as previously mentioned did have one unit fail on me but the rest are okay. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The logic implemented for simulating the 'motion' attribute in this driver is described in this post.
In other words:

• motion is set to active when any of these FP1 events is received:
    • presence : 'present',
    • presence_type: enter', 'left_enter, 'right_enter' are received
  • motion is set to inactive when any of the FP1 events is received:
    • presence :'not present',
    • presence_type: 'leave, 'left_leave', 'right_leave'

'presence_type' events 'approach' and 'away' do not change the motion attribute state (it should be 'motion active' already).

The 'presence' and 'presence_type' are physical events sent by FP1 to HE.
The 'motion' event is simulated based on the logic above.
The 'presence' attribute event is sent as it is received from the device. It comes several seconds later than the 'enter' type events, so I don't see much use for it in the automations... The simulated 'motion' event is better to be used for lights control in my opinion.

3 Likes

From what I’ve researched the ‘presence’ is the main feature to be able to detect if someone is still present in the room whether they are perfectly still, sleeping, etc and would be used to prevent light automations from shutting off like a typical motion sensor would. However I’m not seeing those results as presence would shut off repeatedly overnight as I just checked my logs and events from last night for my bedroom FP1.

I hope this is coming off as constructive and not a complaint as I really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this driver and it’s the only driver available for the FP1 on Hubitat allowing me to actually put my FP1’s into service. I’m just trying to understand how it works as I start to integrate and hopefully be able to provide some helpful feedback.

1 Like

the consensus is use motion active instead of presence.. but i agree with you

That’s what I’m gathering, however if that is the case then there is no reason to use an FP1 presence sensor. You would simply just use a regular P1 motion sensor.

I think the FP1 would work great paired with a motion sensor where you’re not worried about the instant speed of detecting motion to turn on lights, for example (the motion sensor would take care of that). What the most important function of the FP1 is to be able to detect human presence in a room and hold that state so that unlike motion sensors, you’re not battling with the dreaded timeout feature where lights or automations are shutting off on you while not active, sleeping, etc. If the presence was staying active with actual human presence you could continue to build on home automations for things like showing a floor plan of your house and highlighting what rooms people are detected in, sending an alert if your mode is set to away and the sensor picks up on human presence, along with the obvious benefits of highly accurate lighting automation.

Again, I appreciate the efforts by all those developing the driver and who are supplying useful feedback and testing to keep it moving in the right direction. I think the FP1 is a really powerful tool for home automation that we’ve been waiting for and might need a little more unique functionality to really separate it from common motion sensors.

Thanks so much for the hard work. I've been wanting to get this sensor since the first video came out for Home Assistant. I have HA also but it is so much easier using HE.

I just received mine yesterday and I just did a basic setup for testing on Rule Machine. I'm using my kitchen counter as desk. I'm in / out, seems to be working well. It doesn't turn off when in the kitchen and I am surprised how fast it turns my light on when I come back in. I have the turn off time 45 sec after no motion. The turn off time varies but does turn off the light.

I will still use my original motion as a 2nd motion at a different location in the kitchen and for the illuminance. If I don't get any false triggers, I'll also use the FP1 for my Alarm motion.

1 Like

I pulled the trigger and ordered an FP1 from Aliexpress. Tried to pair it on one of my hubs and it just wasn't having any of it but the next day I tried on another hub and it paired immediately (had to pair twice as has been noted to get it to work) and wanted to say this driver works great!

I have it in my living room under the TV (had to make sure it wasn't too close to other electronics as it would get stuck in the present mode) but once I moved it a little further away it is VERY responsive. I have it hooked to the Room Lighting App and it just works, when I enter they turn on quickly (within a second), sitting quietly the lights stay on and when I leave they turn off within 10 seconds. Now I'm thinking of adding some more to the house.

Thanks for all the work done to get this driver working so well with the FP1.

3 Likes

Your wrong .. even though you use the motion attribute instead of presence that does not mean it works like a standard motion or the pf1 in fact the motion attribute is instantaneous just as fast as my nyce sensors and it STAYs active while anyone is in range and in the room moving or not. This is something a std motion sensor does not do.

2 Likes

Good to know nyce sensors works in a similar way. I'll research them. I would imagine they need to be plugged in all the time??

I think the FP1 detects body heat? I have a small electric heater that swings. When I leave the room from the side I came in (left), the lights turn off but the light does not turn back on when I come back in the room. If I turn off the heater everything is back to normal.

Also normally when I leave the room on the right, the opposite side of which I came in, the lights turn off but if the heater is on, the light does not turn off.

Note: My heater swing mode was turned on and the heater was on the right side of the room.

no normal motion senses body heat. the fp1 uses radar fr a sort i believe and also regular motion

1 Like

I think we’re having a little miscommunication here in regards to the multiple parts of this conversation.

I’m agreeing with you and others and was surprised actually of the speed of the motion detection capabilities of the FP1 as I’ve heard other early adopters noticed a lag in the motion detection from the device which some chalked up as the heavy processing from the chip to properly detect motion and sense presence so that was a bonus.

What I’ve found in my testing and can prove with logs and events is that even while still being in my room well within the active field of the FP1, it eventually switches over to “not present” after prolonged inactivity (incorrect) and motion switches back to “inactive” (correct). This could be me on my laptop working and not moving much, sleeping or just reading. But it does incorrectly change the presence attribute to not present while still being present in the room. That was the piece I was trying to describe above in previous comments. Unless I’m mistaken you’ve paired the motion and presence attributes together. What I’m not clear on is if the FP1 is doing somewhat of a timing out and incorrectly sending out a not present response or not.

mine doesnt do that.. i've sat for over an hour there and it stays active.. weired

here tonight we were sitting there and it was active for about 45 minutes

1 Like

I've got 6 of these in a variety of different room shapes. What I've noticed is that the max range of 5m is pretty much exact in terms of detecting presence without a lot of movement. So in a room that's 4x4m if I put the sensor in one corner it does miss me if I sit in the opposite corner.

1 Like

ya mine is on side of wide fridge in center ad room aimed at the 1/2 of the dinning room table we sit at.. a about 10' away. so in certain circumstances i can see needed two.

Hi, I need a bit of help with setting the P1 with my kitchen lights.

Here are screenshots of my RL app and the P1 device.

I'm trying to get the P1 to keep the lights on as long as it's activated, and when it's not, to turn off the lights after 5 seconds.

this would be much easier down in built in motion lighting app..

With an ordinary PIR sensor like Aqara P1, my experience is that you should have at least one-minute timeout configured in the Room Lighting :