Aqara contact sensor P2

Trying to connect my first matter devices. I have them configured and working with google home. When I try using the 15 digit code obtained from the google home app the device is never detected by hubitat. my hub is connected to ethernet 10.10.0.X , wifi 10.10.10.X and my google hubs that are acting as the matter bridge are on 10.10.10.X.

Q1) Am I doing the steps correctly?
Q2) is my funky network setup causing the problem?
Q3) should i disable the ethernet interface?

1 Like

No, it should work. What likely happens is that Google isn't putting the device in paring mode. Once you obtain the code from Google, take out the battery on your Aqara sensor for 10 seconds, then put it back in. Also, you may want to observe the codes that are displayed on the "Add Device" page while the hub is trying to add the device.

I tried adding the step of removing the battery, still not finding the device. when i plug in the battery the status light blinks but does not breath like it is in pairing mode. I noticed that the matter detail page that only ipv6 addresses are listed. I cannot find anything in logs

Doesn't that depend on how the subnets are configured and if routing is involved?

Hub = 10.10.0.X
Google = 10.10.10.X

?

1 Like

hubitat hub has access to both networks 10.10.0.x is ethernet 10.10.10.x is wifi

But is the Hubitat hub and Google home on the same subnet, or is access between those two ip ranges routed?

If routed, is your router (or other bridge like avahi) reflecting mdns and is IPv6 routed between those lan segments, too?

It is important as Matter is IPv6 based not IPv4.

None of that may be the issue, but those are the 1st thoughts off the top of my head.

1 Like

yes the google max hub is on 10.10.10.x as is the hubitats wifi interface. I do not have IPV6 setup on my outgoing wan. if i remember correctly there is a default mapping from current ipv4 into ipv6 address. IDK much about ipv6.

1 Like

You should not need to have IPv6 setup on your home network at all, I think the Matter mesh will make its own IPv6 network on the LAN. This was discussed a little bit during beta but I did not really dig too deep into it.

Correct - except when there are multiple subnets/lan segments at work.

That said, as they clarified his hubitat and google home are on the same subnet - so I agree they shouldn't have to do anything in terms of IPv6 or routing in their case.

Sorry for the confusion. I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the hub was on 10.10.0.x, which would be an issue if that is the interface Matter was using to try and find the device/Google Home.

If then hub is actually using the wifi interface it should all work (unless there is some guest isolation setting setup on the wireless access point - there wouldn't be unless it was explicitly setup that way).

I disabled the ethernet to make sure hubitat and google homes are on the same network. still cannot add device to hubitat. they are very slow to respond in the google app on open/close. oh ya I also have rebooted all google in my home. MS fix!! ROFLOL

1 Like

On sale @ Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Requires-Contact-Automation-Supports/dp/B0BTL8B72D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

2 Likes

I had reset one of my Aqara sensors that were commissioned with Apple originally and commissioned it with Google Home last night. The reset and/or initial commissioning with Google was difficult, but once I've paired the device in Google Home and generated a new Matter key from Google Home app, adding to Hubitat was a breeze. Interesting fact is that the sensor on Google Home was extremely slow to report change of status, however Hubitat was changing the status almost instantly. So the latency for the sensor is within Google app not Matter.

Strange enough, the sensor dropped off Google overnight making it unavailable via Matter. Not the same experience I had with these sensors running on Apple. They have been rock solid for 3+ months on Apple. The sensors I still have commissioned with Apple are still going strong.

To get the sensor back online again, I had to take out the batteries for 30 seconds, then hit Configure in Hubitat. The sensor is still showing "offline" on Google Home but it reports the status in Hubitat.

Update: it took 10 minutes for Google to report the sensor as online

3 Likes

The more I've read, the more I'm convinced that I shouldn't go for a lower cost TBR when I'm ready to add Matter and introduce Thread devices to my home. I should spend the extra for an Apple TBR.

I am sure things will be patched for the big 3 big companies. But so far, Apple TBRs have been solid comparing to the other 3 (Google, Samsung, Amazon) and have tested them all. The other 3 TBRs dropped the device offline at some point and it required power cycling the sensor to get it back online.

2 Likes

Hmm. I tried installing them again this morning and BAM! they were discovered.

1 Like

well they did add this morning. I could never get them to show change of the contact sensor. in the matter screen they turned from a check to an X for availability. disabling reenabling matter got the check back but the contact sensor never worked. I removed from hubitat and google. then attempted to add them back to hubitat. now they are not detected again. I've placed them near my WAP so they have great wifi signal.

guess I wait until tomorrow and see if they add again :>

I'm thinking google matter is not yet stable/usable!!

Well this morning the sensors had dropped out of googles control and went into setup mode and drained the batteries. I completely removed from google and reinstalled. enabled the smartthings hub in my fridge and attempted to join the contacts to smart things from google which also FAILED!

:dart:

is there a suggested boarder router? guessing your going to say apple! :>

I don't have any Matter devices, but what I'm getting from following the posts of those that do, Apple has been the most reliable.

If you're not into owning either an Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen or an Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen with WiFi and Ethernet (3rd Gen WiFi only doesn't have a Thread radio), then the lower cost option for an Apple TBR is HomePod Mini.

However, if you're not the owner of a Mac that can run Mac OS Sonoma or an Apple device that can run the latest iOS, then you will not be wanting an Apple TBR :smile: