Anyone used Trådfri Remote or Dimmer?

It's impossible, the problem is directly related to the hub firmware, it connects but will not talk together because of the way the buttons are setup. Either Ikea needs to make there buttons talk directly to the hub or Hubitat implements a less than standard way of communicating with the buttons.

So nothing we can do will make it work, this needs to happen at a higher level. Sorry for the work you've done on this for nothing.

@nclark, thank you for your quick response. I didnt reed the hole thread but I found another driver for the IKEA Puck remote so I though it would be possible :wink:

Thank you again, I leave it and hopefully they fix it. I have alot of these that is not in use since I moved over to HE.

Hi @zimba,

@nclark is right, not something we can solve in code, but if you have a raspberry pi there are a couple of options for purchasing additional zigbee receivers for the rpi that can then allow you to use these IKEA remotes with HE. I went the slightly more expensive route with a conbee2 usb receiver, but there are cheaper alternatives.

EDIT: Actually, I believe I should correct that, i"'m pretty sure the Conbee2 can also work on a PC, so if you have one that is on all the time that would also be an option.

Understand the hesitation, but have to say the Lutron stuff is great and rock solid.

1 Like

I heard form a Slack group that could be possible to pair wit an echo dot or more powerfull echo device from Amazon

So,,, IKEA is member of Zigbee organization ( Members - Zigbee Alliance ) but are not following the Zigbee standard ?

Should't that disclasify them from membership ?

Or ... is HE missing parts of the standard ?

As a consumer,,, I feel "betrayed" :thinking:

The Ikea stuff passes the Zigbee certification every time they update firmware. If you look through the certification database Ikea is always showing up. That being said they implement most of their buttons with touchlink and group messaging which means they are meant to control a bulb directly without going through the hub. Some buttons will switch into a mode is compatible with hubitat during setup but Ikea didn't implement that (probably because they don't need it, although they did on the remote dimmer and volume control).

Smartthings, Deconz, Zigbee2mqtt, and Home assistant all support these Ikea buttons, however. They allow the hub to be added to a group and pass the inbound messages.

I'm not sure the Hubitat ever went through certification for the whole hub with the Zigbee people. But I'm not sure that support for buttons that use group messages is required to pass since buttons are meant for direct control. I don't think you can certify a new device unless it is Zigbee 3.0 (you can recertify an existing device if there are firmware changes, I think, that is ZLL or ZHA). I think Hubitat uses a Sillcone Labs transceiver which probably as an IC and it's related Zigbee stack was certified to ZHA.

I'm more into Zigbee so I wish Hubitat would give it some love (support for these buttons, firmware updates, and green power) but I think Z wave is getting upgraded right now (C7 with 700 series transceiver and firmware update).

Here is the certification database

2 Likes

Also, certification isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Some of the early Zigbee transceivers caused all sorts of repeating problems on the mesh which is why you will see a lot of threads with people who had problems when they added zigbee bulbs to their network. Although, I read somewhere that they improved their certification for Zigbee 3.0. I think most people have good luck with Zigbee 3.0 device on Hubitat.

On another note Ikea is the only company that I'm aware of that upgraded their existing Zigbee devices from ZLL to Zigbee 3.0 with a firmware update

Glad I found this thread. I was about to pull the trigger and buy the Hubitat, but I have way to much Ikea stuff in my Smartthings setup to do that. I have these on/off switches in just about every room.

If you are only using the switches to control bulbs (ie, not using the button presses for anything else) then the buttons can be added and still control the lights. (Note: You have to associate the lights directly to the remotes, so it likely only works with other ikea lights)

The only functionality missing is having HE detect the button presses and do something else. I have several of them and am using them beside HE to turn on lights. I have a few Hue button remotes for things that I want the button presses to trigger something other than lights.

I have done that with multiple buttons that aren't supported by Hubitat. Anything that is touch link should work with each other if all the devices are joined to the Hubitat network. You can actually add any Zigbee device to a group so even non touch link devices can be controlled by Ikea buttons directly but you have to write the right attributes and I don't think any code exists that reads the buttons group and then puts other devices in that group. The group app when Zigbee group messaging is enabled, I think, adds devices to a group so I think it would be possible. I used a Conbee and deConz to do in manually.

The only issue with that is that the buttons can get out of sync with the bulbs as far as knowing if the bulb is on or off. I do not have the issue with the tradfri switches and bulbs. But it is 100% repeatable with the Ecosmart bulb/switch combo. If I turn ON a light with the button, and then HE cuts it off on a timer, I have to double press to turn the light on. If I turn on with HE (or using google), then I have to double tap to turn off. 100% of the time. If I use the button for both on and off, or HE(or google) for both on and off, it stays in sync.

Yeah, I have some Ecosmart remotes and they have their own internal state machine so you have to tap the buttons a couple of times sometimes so the states match.

One of these days I need to get a reliable second Zigbee network going.

1 Like

Actually, I mispoke. Mine is Ecosmart too.....(fixed now also)

Problem is I'm not using smart bulbs with most of these but little relays in the fixtures. (No neutrals at the switches.)

As for hue or Casetta, I have a hard time spending money on a second hub just to add basic functionality.

I have a few of those 4 button Ecosmart remotes from Home Depot too. Actually one on my nightstand to control my bedroom light/fan, and an automation to turn off any other house lights I forgot when I'm going to bed.

What is the most inexpensive button anyone knows of that will pair directly to the C7?

The Smartthings button, if it becomes available again.

Also, keep an eye on this thread. The Linkind button doesn’t work now, but it sounds like it may soon.

Hue Dimmers aren't super cheap, but they're another solid option.

All that said, I will be another voice encouraging you to think about investing in a Lutron Pro Bridge. I spent years trying other solutions, first with Smarthings and then with Hubitat. I finally broke down and made the switch a few months ago, and I have no regrets. Pico Remotes are so much better than everything else it's ridiculous. The button layout is great, they always work, and they are blindingly fast. Putting in Picos was what finally got me a decent WAF for all my home automation crap.

1 Like

I have looked at them before, also for switches. But the cloud to cloud stuff bothers me. They do look nice.

Thats part of why I like the tradfri buttons so much. The mounting plate will mount with one of the faceplate screws for a decora switch while blocking anyone from turning the physical switch off. It sticks to the mounting plate by magnet so it's easily moved to the night table if desired.

Most of the Ikea stuff is IP66/IP67 rated too. I've had one of those motion sensors under my deck in the elements for well over a year.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Lutron isn’t really a cloud integration - it’s a local Telnet integration, so it is not internet dependent at all.

I do like the design of the tradfri buttons quite a bit.