Anyone used Trådfri Remote or Dimmer?

I built my such a negative attitude based on the statement that "The device operates using Zigbee group broadcasts only".
I saw that as some "feature" or "extension" of the protocol that HE does not support.

On top of that - they are supported by Samsung Smartthings and others so why not by HE?

This is not a priority at this time.

2 Likes

So, you assumed something that was not true.

Smarthings did not support them for several years. Would love to know who else as a general hub fully supports them. There was a lot of grumbling there as well. But, I suppose that is why they (Ikea) said that "some manufacturers may have made proprietary solutions in order to control IKEA smart lighting products hubs without IKEA support". They intended their product to be a closed system.

Look at the old Iris stuff for an example of this non-standard Zigbee. Aquara/Xiaomi stuff also is like this. It is Zigbee, but it isn't.

That is the trouble with Zigbee and one difference compared to Zwave. Zwave stuff must work together or it can't be Zwave. It gets certified as such before it is sold.

With Zigbee, they can make this faux-Zigbee that is sorta-kinda Zigbee, but the whole thing is more of "here you go with the protocol, do whatever you want with it". That doesn't even take into account the various "flavors" of Zigbee like ZHA, ZLL, 1.2, 3.0, Green Zigbee, Energy Zigbee, and more. It is a mess to be frank.

Okay, thank you very much guys for clearing my misunderstanding.

Just one last question then please - is this limitation is the hardware or software only?

If a cheap reflashed ZigBee dongle could work with all ZigBee devices (is that correct??), I hope that HE would be able to do that too (one day probably) . Or it is built into hardware and only a new version (C8 may be) could potentially do that?

From my understanding, both.

I won't say no it will never happen with the dongle thing, but I doubt it. Some of this stuff apparently just isn't compatible with other forms of Zigbee. I am not sure what is or isn't compatible forwards and backwards, but not all of it is.

Who knows what Hubitat (or anyone for that matter) plans on doing with Zigbee. I would be hesitant to do much if I was in their shoes, there have been lots of Zigbee changes and additions in the last couple years (Green Power Zigbee for one). Once that settles down, then maybe spend some time reworking it.

And then you run into the whole issue of "is it worth it to spend hours upon hours of coding for this one (essentially) throwaway Ikea remote" problem. Especially when there are newer, more popular, and more standardized devices coming out all the time that need attention too.

My opinion, you should stick with standard Zigbee devices that are more widely compatible. Stay away from the closed ecosystem stuff like Ikea. Or use Zwave which is inherently compatible between versions.

Actually I do like this button because it has on/off send capability as opposed to just toggle.

As I already use a pi for node red, MQTT etc etc, adding a $5 zigbee stick to get this going was too much cheap fun to pass up :smiley:

1 Like

It's the cheapest, nicest looking, and most widely available zigbee button. It sucks that IKEA implemented it incorrectly, but customers want it. And many people started with IKEA and are looking to jump ship.

100% with you with this one, very disappointing that they will not implement it even if it's not 100% Zigbee because of the way they talk directly to the lights or whatever, they did say it was possible, just not a priority. As already said, they are cheap, readily available and look good.

1 Like

I have to disagree. Ikea doesn't follow the standards making a non-compliant device so Hubitat should invest their resources to make a cheap device work???

I think Ikea should invest their resources to make a fully compliant device.

3 Likes

I think everyone would agree that, as the bigger fish in the pond, IKEA is unlikely to fix this.

As a software developer, I've found that almost everything has quirks and non-compliance problems. Hubitat would not exist if it's developers threw in the towel when they found the first quirk in the radio chipsets they are using. Admittedly IKEA's quirk has got to be one of the worst.

I hate to keep grumbling on this thread, but I want to counter those who dismiss our frustrations. It's not fair that Hubitat are at the receiving end of these frustrations, but then again, they put themselves in the middle of this home automation mess. :crazy_face:

As far as I know, there is only one platform where the Tradfri remotes are completely functional (Besides the Ikea hub). I just left that platform for a whole host of reasons and am VERY happy that I did.

I have a ton of their bulbs which work just fine on my system in HE. I use the five button remotes as well to turn on/off the lights they are paired to and do not need HE to do anything with them. So, they work fine for my use case For those situations where I need more out of the remotes, I purchase Hue 4 button remotes. I just took that as a limitation because I did my research before hand and knew that they were not supported.

Would I like more functionality? Sure I would. Am I mad at HE for failing to offer support for a nonstandard zigbee implementation for a device that has AMPLE discussion in here saying that they don't work with HE? Abosolutely Not.

I am not dismissing anyone's frustration. I am merely stating that if you are frustrated with HE over it, then I think you are looking at the wrong offender.

1 Like

If your running node-red this may be an option for you.

1 Like

This will still require the installation of zigbee2mqtt (like for the dimmer button) that I mentioned in a number of posts already.

I found a workoround to use them. Do as follow:

1. Add Ikea button to HE via regular pairing process for the button as on ST
  2. Add ikea bulb to HE
  3. Pair the button directly with the bulb pressing 10 seconds the pair button until bulb flashed

Voila! Now you have the bulb paired and on HE at the same time. The only thowback is when you turn on the bulb with the control, the status on HE is not changing.

Yep, I posted the same about 2 months ago
https://community.hubitat.com/t/ikea-color-temperature-bulbs-with-remote-update-solved-it

However, this workaround doesn't have the remote actually doing anything in HE. I am pretty sure that most mean they want to be able to use the remote in HE to do stuff. For me, as I said originally, it serves MY purpose

how do you manage the issue with the blackouts or when a light's power flick occurs? I mean, so far is the same as whe we use to turn on a light using the control, for HE the light never turned on until you refresh it.

I don't think it can be said that Ikea isn't compliant to the Zigbee spec. They are one of the few manufactures that shows up in the certification database for all their firmware updates.

https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/?product_type=certified_product&se=Ikea

They only implement group messaging on their buttons so they work when they are directly paired with devices.

Smartthings, Zigbee2mqtt, and Deconz allows the hub to be added to the group of the button and then pass the button presses into the device drivers. I wish Hubitat would also do that as there some nice buttons that could be used. But it seems Zwave has been their focus lately. It's about the only complaint I have about Hubitat which is way better than the bad old days of Smartthings.

I hope they really implement that on the HUB. This is the ONLY thing i miss from smartthing because using the long press attribute I had webcore routines and automations and I had my house with those controls everywhere. Even an experiment to use one of them as a house key using a sequence of different button push to open my front door.

1 Like

I'm not a developer, but I have tried to convert smarthings driver for these remotes.

I'm have the round 5 button and the orginal blind switch in ST today - works like charm.

Replacing physicalgraph.zigbee.zcl.DataType with hubitat.zigbee.zcl.DataType and some other small things. It saves fine now but cant get it to work though..

Maybe someone else have some more quick fixes :wink: