Anyone used Trådfri Remote or Dimmer?

The only issue with that is that the buttons can get out of sync with the bulbs as far as knowing if the bulb is on or off. I do not have the issue with the tradfri switches and bulbs. But it is 100% repeatable with the Ecosmart bulb/switch combo. If I turn ON a light with the button, and then HE cuts it off on a timer, I have to double press to turn the light on. If I turn on with HE (or using google), then I have to double tap to turn off. 100% of the time. If I use the button for both on and off, or HE(or google) for both on and off, it stays in sync.

Yeah, I have some Ecosmart remotes and they have their own internal state machine so you have to tap the buttons a couple of times sometimes so the states match.

One of these days I need to get a reliable second Zigbee network going.

1 Like

Actually, I mispoke. Mine is Ecosmart too.....(fixed now also)

Problem is I'm not using smart bulbs with most of these but little relays in the fixtures. (No neutrals at the switches.)

As for hue or Casetta, I have a hard time spending money on a second hub just to add basic functionality.

I have a few of those 4 button Ecosmart remotes from Home Depot too. Actually one on my nightstand to control my bedroom light/fan, and an automation to turn off any other house lights I forgot when I'm going to bed.

What is the most inexpensive button anyone knows of that will pair directly to the C7?

The Smartthings button, if it becomes available again.

Also, keep an eye on this thread. The Linkind button doesn’t work now, but it sounds like it may soon.

Hue Dimmers aren't super cheap, but they're another solid option.

All that said, I will be another voice encouraging you to think about investing in a Lutron Pro Bridge. I spent years trying other solutions, first with Smarthings and then with Hubitat. I finally broke down and made the switch a few months ago, and I have no regrets. Pico Remotes are so much better than everything else it's ridiculous. The button layout is great, they always work, and they are blindingly fast. Putting in Picos was what finally got me a decent WAF for all my home automation crap.

1 Like

I have looked at them before, also for switches. But the cloud to cloud stuff bothers me. They do look nice.

Thats part of why I like the tradfri buttons so much. The mounting plate will mount with one of the faceplate screws for a decora switch while blocking anyone from turning the physical switch off. It sticks to the mounting plate by magnet so it's easily moved to the night table if desired.

Most of the Ikea stuff is IP66/IP67 rated too. I've had one of those motion sensors under my deck in the elements for well over a year.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Lutron isn’t really a cloud integration - it’s a local Telnet integration, so it is not internet dependent at all.

I do like the design of the tradfri buttons quite a bit.

I actually didn't know that. Gonna have to give those a second look then.

Cheers! Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Noob here. I get that the simple button won't work with Hubitat as it won't pair. My problem is that if I get the bulbs into pairing mode the button doesn't work. I'd like the button to work locally and the hubitat to integrate with google. Has anyone gotten that to work?

Also the Ikea sound remote that does work, can it be re-purposed for lights and work as a dimmer? I like the design of it and would get them.

My end goal is to use these with the Google Home app as I still find the Hubitat interface clunky. My opinion may change but for now the simpler interface is better.

edit- it's really a shame that the Ikea simple dimmer doesn't work. I've ordered a Linkind that I fear may be the same. I hope not but if it is at least I know. I'll follow up when it arrives. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FDD99VD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I get confused with the descriptions here. Puck versus wheel etc. Perhaps the line has changed. If I read correctly this remote should pair to a hub TRÅDFRI Remote control - IKEA

You still have to pair the button to Hubitat before you touch link it to the bulb. It will show as a device under Hubitat.

I don't think I can pair the button. The button isn't real zigbee according to people above.

I only goes into pair mode when a bulb is also in pair mode. The hub scanning doesn't trigger it.

Once the bulb is paired to either is seems to forget the other. I'll play more later and see.

If you are referring to this:

The paring instructions are there.

You can pair it with Hubitat, you just can't do anything with it in Hubitat. I don't have any of these, so I haven't tested it myself, but with touchlink devices, you can usually pair them with the hub, then follow the touchlink instructions to connect them to the bulbs you want to control. Since the button doesn't actually communicate directly with the hub, using it will make the bulb states out of sync with Hubitat. (Hubitat will not know the bulbs have been turned on or off by the button, and will still show the previous state.) That isn't a show-stopper, though.

Here's a link to an earlier thread where people talk about doing this:

If the bulb is properly configured by Hubitat it should send a message to the hub when you change the bulb state. I just checked some bulbs where I have a button that was touchlinked to some bulbs because Hubitat doesn't support the remote. The logs show the changes to the bulbs state.

Cool. I don't have any switches set up with Touchlink these days, so I'm just going off of what I've read.

I apreciate all the assistance but I still can't get them to work.

1- the button will not pair to both a bulb and the HE. After pairing it to the he then it loses the ability to pair to bulbs.

2- resetting the bulbs to get them to ask for button unpairs them from he. They are still in the device list but stop being controllable.

Also, do I need a driver for the on / off version. I assumed as it doesn't really do anything no to bother. I set it as a generic zigbee dimmer and left it alone. I'm not even sure how to install drivers yet.

Can someone confirm that the Ikea dimmer can work with bulbs that are also controlled by Hubitat? I've been fiddling with them on and off for a week now and can't get the bulbs to pair with both. If it's on the HE then the button can't find it. If I reset it to put it on the button then the HE can't find it, so I have to reset it for the button.

I've tried different drivers for the dimmer but I still suspect that's a red herring. Until HE updates to accept these and the Linkind style signal the button doesn't matter to the HE.

1 Like

I don't know about the bulb / dimmer linkages and that setup working with HE, but I do know I have been able to get my On/Off switches working through a Conbee2 dondgle on my raspberry pi, if you are interested in setting something like that up (I believe you can also do it on Windows).