Anyone Seen Increased DB Size Recently?

I have 3-4 C-7 hubs and a single C-8 hub running 2.3.8.139.

Since upgrading to .139 I have seen a marked increase in the database size on my hubs. On my main hub ~15Mb to 50Mb.

I have not checked any details specifically on lining up platform updates or any other changes, nor have I checked whether there are any adverse impacts as a result of this change in DB size (none that I can determine). This is more a general question about whether this is expected or something I even need to worry about.

IIRC, I believe @gopher.ny mentioned that this is normal due to the changes in how the updated database engine handles things.

6 Likes

Ok, cool, was hoping that was all it was. As long as it's expected, and not a bad thing. At the moment all it means is a bigger number on my Grafana dashboard.... Which I can live with. I could make a more inappropriate comment, but will refrain and leave that for other topics... :wink:

1 Like

@sburke781 it's a little confusing to find in the forum, but https://community.hubitat.com/t/2-3-8-135-updated-database-engine-just-a-little-bit-more-on-this-please/136078/193 has other users with their experiences on the DB engine and sizes.

4 Likes

Just noting that the topic linked to is in the Beta forum so only members of the Beta group will be able to see it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All good.... If I was at work I'd ask a few more questions re why, but am happy to leave that mode for another ~8 hours or so.... :slight_smile:

If people want the good info, they need to join.....:wink:

3 Likes

As @ogiewon said, db changes (significant size increases and lots of jumpting up and down in terms of db size) is typical of the new database engine. The new normal, as they say. (Like me?) :wink:

1 Like

Space is cheaper nowadays....

1 Like

TONS of room in my head, almost nothing in there. :wink:

It was pretty scary at first, getting used to the new db behavior. :slight_smile: Lots of "Oh Noes!" from us intially, but in spite of the increases and size jumpiness everything works fine, just as Victor said it would. :smiley:

3 Likes

Technically, it is now public as of .138, so we could probably move the thread to main (if the powers that be agree).

1 Like

Except for all the references there to our secret organization that actually runs the world through mind control (and gets to choose the Flavor of the Month at all the ice cream shops). But yeah, aside from that it'd be OK to share. :wink:

4 Likes

We'll let anyone in nowadays....

GIF by Star Wars

2 Likes

Yes, in my case this is happening (C-5), but now I read that I shouldn´t worry about it.

We´ll see . . .

1 Like

I was getting an elevated load warning every time my main C7 hub was rebooted and then it would go away after about a minute. I just put a longer delay on my rule that runs after a power up and it is resolved. Something in the boot up definitely stays busy longer or maybe rules now start earlier in the boot sequence. Dunno.

All those alerts I would worry about. Might want to do a reboot with a database rebuild.

2 Likes