Anyone, problems with hue switches at the moment?

Hi,

Something happened today and caused half of my 10 hue switches to not work constantly. I'm pressing buttons (1 and 4 = on and off) and some of my hue switches do not even flash that small light in upper corner. Mostly they flash red and sometimes orange and green. Sometimes bulbs turn on but it may take 2-3 seconds which is way more that what it normally is.

I'm able to control my hue lights (hue bridge integration CoCoHue) from Hubitat UI and turn hue switch on and off from there. Lights turn on and off immediately. Hue application acts fast and works normal so problem occurs only when I control lights with hue switches and half of my switches are working normally though.

Hue switches are paired with hubitat and this has been working great over a year. If somebody else is having similar issues I would ne happy to hear about it. If this concerns only me.. then I'm guessing that something has changed at my home and it is causing interference.

I have updated Hubitat to latest firmware and.. well... this started after that but can't say if that has nothing to do with my problem.

It might be useful to do a downgrade on the HE firmware and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you know it's likely related to the upgrade. If not, then we need to look elsewhere.

But can you confirm... if you turn the switches on and off from the devices tab do they work normally?

Yep, they work normally and fast when controlled from devices tab. That's why I'm thinking about zigbee issues if I'm only one with the problem.

Though if it were zigbee issues I would think you'd have the same problem from the devices tab.

So they are only having issues if physically pressed at the device? Automations and all are working OK otherwise?

1 Like

Oh yes.. did not think this completely. Problems occurs only when they are controlled by physically pressing button. All my automations and everything else works normally. :frowning:

EDIT: all switch controls are done with webcore. !!!
EDIT: I did not think it completely..once again. It still goes through webcore when it is controlled from device tab or physically pressing button. So webcore has nothing to do with it.

I have experienced this intermittently in the past. They just aren’t great at staying connected. A hub reboot (or firmware update) would usually precede them falling off the mesh. I now have most of mine connected to the Hue bridge for this reason. FWIW, I have seen them lose connection to the Hue bridge as well, but there is apparently some magic sauce in the Hue driver that immediately gets them reconnected.
If you absolutely need them on HE, just reset the switch and rejoin it, HE will recognize what switch it was and won’t create a new one.

Weirdest thing was that one of my switches was not working. I thought that battery was bad so changed it. That did not help. Swtch was flashing red or orange when it was pressed. Then I tried to reset it..by pressing all four buttons and keep them pressed couple of seconds. That usually resets switch if there is issues. For some reason pressing those four buttons did not do ..well anything... nothing happened. No lights were flashing in upper corner and it just went completely off. I had to took battery off and let it rest 30min after I got it back. Original issue was not fixed but that was really weird that refresh was not doing anything and made switch useless.

I’ve also had that happen. You just need to pull the battery cover off and hold the reset down with a paper clip or other pointy thing that won’t break until the switch starts flashing orange and green. Then go to “add device “, hit the “Zigbee” tab, and then “start Zigbee pairing”

oh â– â– â– â– . That is not nice. I'm wondering if something needs to be done for the device driver to make it stay connected. I did not have any problems before so that's why this came out of nowhere. I really love to use them in Hubitat because I can control hue light and window blinds from those buttons.

Can you do the same thing if they are on the Hue hub and use one of the available integrations?

None of the currently available integrations support button devices, as the documented Hue API does not have a way to "push" events in real time from the Hue Bridge to Hubitat (or any other third-party system, except the closed HomeKit integration), so you can't get any meaningful events out of them. Recent Bridge firmware has an undocumented interface that can push these events out, and Hubitat firmware 2.2.9 made some changes that allows this to connect, so I plan to look into this for CoCoHue at some point. Right now, I'm focusing on the lights, groups, and (motion/temp/lux) sensors it already supports, but if meaningful button data comes out of this, I'll add those at some point, too.

But for now, the "tl;dr" is "no." :smiley:

4 Likes

Then you should just rejoin them for now. For me, they seem to only drop when they switch routes, and I have only seen this happen during firmware updates, hub shutdowns, and power outages (or if you have Zigbee bulbs on the mesh that are repeaters).

This would be... unfortunate. Unless they're all 3.0 bulbs, in which case you may be ok!

I should say that it depends on the bulb.

1 Like

[quote="Jani, post:7, topic:81303, full:true"] Swtch was flashing red or orange when it was pressed.
[/quote]

That indicates poor Zigbee connection.

Have you changed your repeating Zigbee devices lately? Or turned off / unplugged any of them?

No nothing like that. It's same as always..nothing has changed..

Had a time to record a video how some of my switches work at the moment.

Still looks as a Zigbee connection issue to me. If you take it out of its place and try, same behavior?

Any new obstacle at home?

Any new wifi enabled device at home?

Is it possible you have a zigbee mains powered device acting as a repeater that has gone south on you? That would interrupt your mesh even though nothing obvious has changed.

No, nothing has changed. Everything is exactly the same as it has been several months. Unifi AP's uses locked channels so they are also same as always. No new devices.

I do not have any other zigbee devices than these hue switches. Everything else is z wave. I do not also have zigbee repeaters. :frowning:

Now that I have tested this more it seems like button press 1 has more problems than other buttons. That feels weird too.