Any way to pull in Home Assistent devices for HE usage, too?

I have a few devices integrated in HA which I'd like HE to be able to understand, control, etc. I see lots of ways to push from HE -> HA (I've used MakerAPI and a native integration), but I don't see any of the reverse... how can I get HA device (a Cover that represents a door) to be exposed to HE?

The closest I found is an old topic with no real answer: Options for including Home Assistant devices in HE - #3 by zarthan

Search for Home Assistant Device Bridge -- works well for me.

4 Likes

That's apparently what I wanted, awesome!

For me: install via HACS, then in HE "apps" do the "add user app" to instantiate the now-installed-code, go over to HA for a bit to create a Long Lived Token, then go back to the HE HADB app and enter the relevant IP address, token, etc, then click "discover devices" and wait a few minutes while everything syncs up (it took 139 seconds and caused a warning for taking so long, but it worked just fine).

It's not immediately clear to me where and when "imported devices" will show up, but I'm guessing "soon/after a few minutes" and then everything will be fine. Thanks!

I believe that the devices in HA have to change in some way or report a state before showing up in HE.

2 Likes

I was figuring the same thing

So it's been a few hours and no more of the expected devices have shown up, which now makes me worried. I went back into HACS and installed all the optional sub-components just in case, despite the fact that they have relatively straight-forward names that clearly do not apply to me.

As an example of something broken that should probably have worked right away: I have a switch entity that's not showing up!

I presume when you say HACS you mean HPM. I suggest you post in the HADB integration topic to get best support.

Make sure your switch change state. It won't show up before that happens.

No. HACS is not HPM. HACS is the community store for Home Assistant. https://hacs.xyz/

Yes, we know. However HADB does not require or use HACS in any way. HADB does not require anything to be installed on the HA side of things.

Thus, if the OP is installing any code, it must be on the Hubitat side of things. Thus, the clarification that they must be using HPM, not HACS.

3 Likes

You are using the wrong integration. The one in hacs is for bringing device from Hubitat to Home Assistant.

If this was meant for me, I'm not using an HA integration with Hubitat.

Yeah, sorry, tagged the wrong person. It was meant for @mexpsdw

1 Like

oh man... whoops! I was bouncing back and forth between my HE and HA systems so much I quoted the wrong thing. YES YES, I meant Hubitat Package Manager which is here I installed what it displays as HE-HA-control (v2.0 yesterday).

I see that that as of today there's an update for v2.1.

Yeah, I did that yesterday when I installed things. I'm sure that's true that switches must change state, but I have a new theory: is there some sort of bug such that some devices don't show up until "the next day"? I'm asking because I checked things now and everything is showing and a bunch of the devices oddly show a "last activity" (which in this case is probably an instantiation time) of "almost exactly midnight". Adding one more fact: none of those devices actually triggered at that exact time (I have a security camera on the door and checked the footage).

Something is definitely afoot...

I'll go post over in the HADB topic, clearly the right place.

No.

So you say you did trigger the "Power_pet_door_sensor" switch manually (either physicaly or through HA dashboard) and the child device was not created?

Both through HA and through it's physical switch and yes, child device not created... until suspiciously at the next midnight crossing, of course...

The last activity is just that. It is not really relevant in this case. You can check the creation date for each device though. Also the history graph for this device in HA will tell you when the device was triggered.

Anyway, the devices were created at some point... have fun.

good point - and yes, overall, "it's now working, yey!"

Just to put some more details out here while I have it fresh, the devices that show "approx midnight" as their last activity all show a creation date of precisely 8 seconds before that (so "also approximately midnight, just slightly before")

Basically HADB only respond to what HA is sending. If nothing was sent, then you should look at your HA setup or the pet door integration itself.

Did you look at your entity history to confirm HA registered a state change when you manually triggered it?

yeah, inspecting the Logbook in HA shows some events that never made it through to HE... also the thing I really want from the pet door in question is a "cover" entity in HA and that still doesn't show in HE. All I can see are some "switch" and "sensor" and "number" entities... but not all of them.

Yellow is what's missing:
Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 16.27.11

I don't know how to get HA to show events from lots of entities in the past, so here's just the Cover (which is the thing I care about most, anyway, since it's the single thing that elegantly represents "a door"). This shows lots of events the afternoon and evening of Jan 30th (which is the odd time in question when it should have showed up via HADB).

Final point here: when I look at the entity called "auto" (which did, eventually, show up via HADB) I can see that the timing doesn't line up. The only events in HA were 14:09:34 PT but over in HE through HADB it was 'created' at 23:59:02.

HE device:

HA logbook:

I can see your device reported an unknown state. This cause HADB to completely ignore the event, thus forgo the creation of child device.

The entity type button and automation are not supported by HADB. Therefore, they will not even be selectable.

As for the cover and the 2 switches, they should come through. I would need to see some logs to troubleshoot further.

1 Like