Any presence sensor? (z-wave preferred)

Yes, CR-2032 have always used lithium

I haven't had this issue with the arrival sensor (however, I'm using it with AA batteries that last about 8-12 months). But you could consider re-pairing the arrival sensor to Hubitat (without unpairing it).

I thought it was using a CR2 not the watch battery style

Ive had few issues with zigbee (had one issue with an iris v2 motion sensor kept dropping but I finally trashed it) I have a few mains repeaters in the house though including one by the back and one by the front door) so my arrival sensor works really well. That with my phone will auto unlock my front door (which in turn turns up the lights) If both my phone and my fob leave it will lock my door after 5 mins and send a message to my phone calling me a dumbass for leaving the house unlocked.

1 Like

Also I wonder if ip presence sensor will work for you. It simply checks if your phone is on the network. You simply reserve an ip in your dhcp for it and it will check it at set intervals (I use this with the sensor) That way as soon as you're approaching your house and your phone catches the network, that will trigger what you need.

2 Likes

I see... will keep smartthings arrival sensor on top of the list then. thank you!

Thanks for that and yes i've done IP based detection (i used Almond router with built in actions for IP/Devices) .. but I want to enable presence awareness on other things like my bag , my car, even the dog. Working with the IP detection of Almond, we put together a small arduino presence tags and this worked alright.. But it's still quite bulky and this time around i want to try a non wifi/IP based approach.

Yeah, then the only thing I can reccomend is the ST presence sensor

If you want longer range use a couple Xbee3.
One as router and one as a presence sensor.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but it fits what im trying to figure out so before I make a new post.

I don't have any ZigBee devices but have a nice zwave mesh. 7 GE/HONEYWELL switches.

I installed a z wave deadbolt. It's working pretty good. Hubitat presence sensing is a little spotty and I did create a virtual switch with google home.

If I used the smart thing presence sensor, could I make that turn on a virtual switch when I get home, that virtual switch will open my zwave lock.

It would be much easier to have a keychain for my wife and guests.

My zwave lock doesn't have codes or anything (Kwikset Convert Z-Wave Plus Smart Lock Kit - Satin Nickel (99140-102)) to give guests.

You don't even need to do that. You can use it to directly lock or unlock the lock

2 Likes

A ZigBee presence sensor will work with a zwave lock?

I guess it's more ZigBee sensor tells hubitat "I'm home" and then hubitat unlocks the lock now that I think about it.

And I don't need a smart things hub for it?

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I think he was referring to you wanting to use a virtual switch. That isn't necessary, you can just have whatever device trigger a rule that unlocks a lock.

No, these Smarrthings sensors are just generic Zigbee devices.

1 Like

First thank you for taking the time of your day to help me.

I think I get it.

ZigBee sensor will say I'm home for presence, then hubitat will unlock the z wave lock.

Will the smart things sensor work without a smart things hub?

Yes, this isn't any different than any other Zigbee device.

Now changing subjects a tiny bit, I am not sure if you really want a something like that Smartthings device. There are a couple things to be aware of with this type device, and security in general.

If you did set up a rule for this, any time it became "present" it would trigger a rule. So if it lost signal, and you are sitting in the living room, it could unlock the door. There are no manual buttons like a car remote to push, this is just a sensor. They work well enough, but I am not sure I would put all my faith into something like this to work as a security device.

If you want an actual pushbutton, they are available, but there aren't many choices. The FIBARO FGKF-601, the Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Key Fob (maybe only available used?) and maybe another random brand or two. I don't have any experience with these, so I cannot make a specific recommendation, (or if they even work with Hubitat) but it seems like this would be a better option for your requirement of " a keychain for my wife and guests."

1 Like

Yes, and the fob fits on a key chain. I actually used combined presence. My phone and my keys must be home for auto unlock/lock. For shutting down the house a minimum of 2 phones and a fob must have left (if either one of us drives the other leaves their keys in the house) I have other stuff going on with them too

1 Like