Any good OUTDOOR motion sensors (Zigbee) cheaper than Hue?

Thanks guys.
I'll look at sourcing a Zooz as I have power through the old mounting hole into my garage.
I'm trying to replace the old PIR.
A $20 problem with a $150 solution :rofl:

Not sure what you don't like about the Hue outdoor motion sensor. Maybe you just don't like Zigbee. For Z-Wave, there's also the Homeseer wired outdoor motion sensor if that works better than the Zooz ZSE29 for your use case.

The price. US$50!

LOL. Well that quesiton was directed to @dnickel.

However, Hue motion sensors are not always full price. I always look for the renewed or warehouse deals. Never had an issue with any Philips Hue product, new or used.

The Zooz ZSE29 is indeed on sale right now, but normally it $40 plus shipping. So unless you intend to spend $99 or more on devices, it's $46.83 at regular price in Oregon as an example. I personally prefer the mounting options of the Hue outdoor motion sensor and it's more stealth appearance under my eves.

But, since we're doing some hair splitting, there's a used Zooz ZSE29 on Amazon.com right now for $42 or a new one for $45, both with free Prime shipping. :v: :smiley:

Sadly I'm in a 3rd world shipping country, Amazon.ca :rofl:
40 USD becomes 55 CDN and shipping becomes 100. :wink:

1 Like

I'm in Canada too. I guess you don't have Amazon Prime? Hue outdoor motion are $57 full price right now, but I just saw a used one for $55 last night (gone now) which is the same price I paid for it the last time I bought. Used ones come up fairly often. I've no idea why people are returning them, because they're great sensors. Very fast and report lux constantly without needing a motion trigger first like many other sensors do. Battery life is very good.

$57 CAD for a new Hue outdoor motion sensor is actually not a bad price at all if you have Prime for free shipping. The second time I bought one used, it was that price. Zooz is just kind of an expensive option if you live in Canada.

If you intend to use lux for anything, go Hue. The ZSE29 is either day or night.

1 Like

If you're mounting under the eves, these Aqara P1 work just fine and there's a community driver for it. I have one in my garage, and while it doesn't get much below 5˚ C in there, it's batteries have lasted since purchasing in April last year.

If you just need motion, then it's fast and the reset time can be set as low as 5 seconds. The downsides are that like all other Aqara motion sensors, it needs a motion event before it reports LUX if that's important to you, and it uses two CR2430 batteries. If you don't already have other devices that use those batteries, then you'll pay more when it's time to replace them, vs the two AA batteries needed for the Hue outdoor motion sensor. According to Aqara, you will get 5 years battery life if the motion sensor is set to a 30 second reset time. That's at room temperature I'm sure, so you would get less if it's subjected to really cold temperatures.

These probably wouldn't hold up with direct exposure to the elements like the Hue outdoor motion sensor can, but I had one of the original Aqara motion sensors mounted under our eves when I lived in Toronto and it held up just fine (I'm still using the same motion sensor today). I have another one of the original Aqara motion sensors mounted in the corner of our shower stall and while it doesn't get splashed at all, it's regulararly exposed to very high steam levels and it's still chugging away.

If you're decent at soldering, you can convert an Aqara to USB power fairly easilly. You'll just need to order a 5v to 3v buck converter. These will work fine, but you can get multiple for less from Ebay or Aliexpress.

The highest illuminance one of my ZSE29s has ever reported is 900, the other 479.
Meanwhile for the hue sensors: 64504 and 45142

How adjustable is the sensitivity? Can it be set to not get triggered by pets?

Sorry, I don't own either. Was just referencing it as an available option, but maybe somone who does own either the Zooz ZSE29 or the Homeseer HS-FLS100+ can comment.

However, the title of the this thread references Zigbee specifically, so you might want to create a new post if you have questions about those two Z-Wave outdoor motion sensors, otherwise they might get ignored by the Z-Wave enthusiasts here.

Yes I got Prime for the free Xmas 30 day run :wink:
I set up IFTTT so I have a switch that says "Motion" now when the front door Blink cam is triggered.
@velvetfoot I have a master Lux sensor (Aeon 6) for the house which runs all the automations based on outdoor light levels.
I think I'll take one more crack at replacing the old PIR and them move on to a smart switch whioch runs all 3 outdoor lights. Maybe create another IFTTT switch for the driveway cam so the lights come on with driveway motion as well as front door.
This will be handy for my wife! Without the lights coming on automatically right now she keeps trying to back into my level 2 charger in the dark! She has come soooo cm's close.

1 Like

IFTTT is a NONO for me. I used to use it, but it's slow and cloud dependent. Unreliability is not something we allow around here anymore (except for Alexa).

1 Like

I have a couple Hue sensors, but get a ton of false triggers on them on sunny days. I'm not sure if it's the sun shining on the sensor housing, or just the sun shining on the ground that it's picking up.

I'm also sort of excited to see the new ikea sensors when they become available. They're said to be IP44 rated. So okay outdoor, but maybe not in directly heavy rain.

Comment received.
I'll reasses if I can't get the old fashioned PIR replacement working properly.
Outdoor Zooz and a smart switch most likely solution.
Maybe a hybrid Zooz and IFTTT virtual motion switch.

1 Like

Did you end up doing this? Just embarking on a build and want to get a UK outdoor sensor wired in but doesn't look as though there is any wired outdoor UK ZigBee or zwave sensors available (unless I've missed one??)

So the only option looks like your idea to buy cheap P In R sensor and pair this with a ZigBee / zwave switch. Which devices did you go for?

Yeah so a pir sensor creates problems with the smart relays. You need a contactor from the pir then into the smart relay. Will drop a link on for the one i found that works. Tbh a beam sensor would be better as there’s no false positives. Would like to try that but haven’t had chance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RBYS9BA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Me either. I use all Aqara motion sensors paired with radar sensors outside and I've had no problems with them surviving last years 120 degree days..

Putting the motion sensors paired with a radar in groups solved all my false alarms.

The PIRs would false fire when cars drove by and the radars would false fire when the plants blew in the wind, but when you put them in a group that doesn't register motion unless both fire, solved all my issues.

3 Likes

I have some under eves and two out in direct sunlight. I have no issues with false triggers. Try Raising the Lux trigger and lowering the motion sensitivity. How much area/distance are you trying to cover per sensor.

I have tried others but I feel the Hue ones are best PIR sensors available and worth the price.

LJ