Another Hubitat Convert (Recovering Vera user)

Having migrated my first home easily/quickly to Hubitat in January, I just got around to migrating my second home (much larger network than my first home) from Vera Plus to Hubitat and, all things considered, it went perfectly. It took almost a full day, but all of my stumbles and delays were with my devices, not with Hubitat (for example, my Somfy shades didn't offer a way to factory reset only the Z-wave - the factory resets also wiped the shade set points. After learning this the hard way on one shade, I figured out I had to bring the Vera back up and exclude each shade first).

In any event, Hubitat is now up & running my home as flawlessly as Vera was, with much snappier performance and, most importantly, without the constant state of angst in which I was living, expecting my Vera to fail and be left hanging by Ezlo without a suitable replacement (yet).

Super happy with Hubitat.

My only gripe is with the dashboards. Vera, with all its faults, had a relatively decent out-of-the-box app/dashboard that didn't require me to build anything to control my devices. They were simply laid out, and could be grouped by rooms or device type, and just showed up when they were added. The Hubitat dashboard builder is simple enough to use, but it's extra work, especially whenever a device is added/removed/changed, and the end result is unimpressive. That said, 90% of my home automation is controlled either with voice commands, wall controls or automation. So, my need to use the dashboards on my phone is limited/rare and I can live with them being somewhat primitive.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you're having fun! :smiley:

Have you tried the Hubitat Elevation Mobile App for basic phone control of rooms/devices? It auto populates without building any dashboards.

WELCOME @SF_Sig !!

Yes, thank you. I do have the Mobile App installed and I do realize there is a screen with all the devices on it. While it would save me the trouble of building a dashboard, because that screen is not editable, I end up with every device on that screen, including virtual switches, sub-devices (like power strips with individual on-off channels), etc. So, it's a lot of clutter from my perspective. The Vera dashboard allowed me to quickly flag "favorites" which would result in a clean dashboard for regular use, that didn't require me to build anything.

1 Like

Can't say I disagree. :wink:

Personally don't use it much since I prefer the functionality of @jpage4500 HD+ Android App. Especially for setting up Widgets for door locks.

2 Likes

Just as a future note. You didn't need to do that. Hubitat could have done the exclusion for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am another recovering Vera convert. It got to the point with Ezlo that one had to be a masochist to keep hanging on waiting for a "ready for prime time" solution. Like you I have completed one conversion with one more, more complex, to go. I used Reactor on Vera and decided to migrate my "reactions" to Multi System Reactor. rigpapa provides a Reactor conversion tool that handled most of the migration work. I have also been looking at dashboards. I can't believe that Hubitat has not figured out drag and drop, this is 2023. You might want to check out "Home Remote". While not pretty, it is very functional and the pages are easy to organize. If you most have pretty Home Remote does offer a development tool so you can customize as much as you want.

You should take a look at Hubivue (www.hubivue.com) much nicer.

I agree that Hubivue is nicer, but Home Remote is quick and dirty if one does not need customs. It took me about 30 minutes to set up a tabbed dashboard on my phone on Home Remote.

Same thing in Hubivue. Just run the wizard. Bonus animated icons

Thanks for the recommendations. I did just try to download and run Hubivue for Mac and it will not run, stating the app cannot be checked by Apple for malicious software and that it needs to be updated. :neutral_face: Somewhat disappointing as I liked what I saw on their website.

Perhaps I'll give Home Remote a try. Although, at this point, the rather simple Hubitat dashboards are getting the job done for me.

@gslender

Yes, the download binary isn’t a certificate signed app and it will do that for both Windows and MacOS if you download from the website.

The same app is available via the AppStore for Mac so find it there if you’re unwilling to trust the download and install it.

2 Likes

Thank you - found it there and have it installed! Will spend some time with it this weekend.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.