Another Hub - Or Replace Non-Plus Switches?

As I'm monitoring both my z-wave and zigbee meshes, I find that my OCD has started to get the better of me. Watching the speeds of the z-wave communication is starting to drive me nuts. I currently have 3 non-plus GE dimmers, 5 non-plus GE switches, and a Zooz 4-1 that have peaked my interest. The GE devices are all repeating at 40. (No surprise there...) The Zooz is the only device that I'm seeing come in at 9.6...that one surprised me.

So, do I pick up another hub and move all of the non-plus devices? Do I just replace them with newer switches? Will Timmy ever get out of the well? Would love some thoughts and opinions from the community. (In the end, I may end up doing both to be honest.)

On a tangent.......I ended up finding an Iris IL03 on my Zigbee mesh that seemed to be causing a bit of grief. Replacing that unit with one of the V2 units helped my hub speed issues significantly. I have another that is further from the hub that will eventually be pulled for the same reason.

1 Like

You will not regret going all plus

2 Likes

Curiosity.. What was your IL03 causing?

The main reason was I have 5 sensors that were chewing through batteries at an alarming rate, and they were routing through this thing, then would bounce elsewhere, only to return. I was seeing very erratic LQI's in the low 100's on connections to the device. Oddly, it seemed as though far too many of my devices were routing through the thing as well. I've been monitoring hub response time for many moons now, and prior to removal of this device my "good" times were 1.2-2.0s for my test. These numbers are now in the 750ms range and seeing much more consistency. Time will tell.

1 Like

I have a couple of those on my mesh.. Haven't noticed anything .. But I'll keep my eye out..

Just had a thought on my response time, I added an Xbee to my mesh. May have had nothing to do with the IL03.

Looking at the routing on my only IL03 still connected. (I had two...)

This one is maybe 20 feet from the hub.

1 Like

I have a Yale T1L lock, zwave non-plus I think, I dont think it can act like a repeater but does it force my entire network to zwave only mode ? all my other devices 113 at the moment are all zwave plus

1 Like

Not at all.. But the times it is talking is at the slower rate and this consumes air time.. But plus to plus devices can talk to each other at the faster rates..

Look for 0x5E in ZWave Details. That would indicate plus:

The Yale ZWave modules come in ZWave Plus:

https://www.ebay.com/p/4023284073?iid=153645406989&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153645406989&targetid=884563310088&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031507&poi=&campaignid=9426324955&mkgroupid=95235862226&rlsatarget=pla-884563310088&abcId=1141016&merchantid=101699627&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj6nk-euu6AIVksBkCh2QXABAEAQYASABEgLvUfD_BwE

1 Like

Thanks @bcopeland and @csteele

I dont have the 0x5E so its not ZW+ but thanks for the info I was getting worried , I will check if I have other devices that are not ZW+. I don't have as many slowdowns ever since I did the last update but my network does slowdown after 2-3 days. So I'm still looking for a solution

1 Like

I can hear my wallet screaming now. I'm going to end up getting another hub for "testing purposes", at least that's what I'm telling the wife. Will end up replacing the non-plus devices as well.

Regarding the IL03, I ended up putting one on my ST hub and just used HubConnect. Removed the last one on my network. Now the lowest LQI I am seeing is between two devices that are on opposite corners of my property, and that was at about 170. There may be something funky with these. They always worked, just looked very odd when monitoring the connections.

1 Like

While you are waiting for all the feedback to congeal, you could go around and make sure all the light and outlet screws were aligned. :wink:

3 Likes

That's just cruel. So, should I align vertically or horizontally?

4 Likes

I use a compass to set mine. Since north will be slightly different in each room, it takes a little time to get it just right. To add to that, north migrates the tiniest part of a degree each year so I need to set a schedule for readjustment. I usually only do that every second year.

6 Likes

OMG.. :rofl: You guys are nutz.. I love it

1 Like

I had to come back and "like" this reply. As I snickered to myself and clicked away the first time I started wondering how one would align a screw to "north", and started laughing again. Definitely a great reply!
S.

3 Likes

Get the hub first. I just moved my Aeon v1 HEMs to a second hub. Should have done that a long time ago. I no longer have slowdowns on the main hub, and at the database maintenance time I get just under a 1 second delay until about 2:30 or so. After that, normal speed. Now on the other hub, which only has the HEMs (which admittedly are polling very frequently), I do get a slowdown after two days. No problem though, I'll just set that hub to auto reboot daily. Problem solved.

I want to urge anyone that is considering a hub, a second or third, etc hub, to buy the hub before you purchase other devices. First, it is most often the easiest and most cost effective way to solve the problem of old Z-Wave devices that are bringing everything else down, and secondly please don't forget that Hubitat is a small business. In times like these, they need our support more than big companies like GE and Samsung do. They only sell hubs, so please support them by adding hubs when you need them.

For those of you considering Hubitat, please know that you are firstly making and excellent choice. It doesn't take long on the community forum to know that it's a very helpful community, and you will get lots of support from the company and the forum members (just be calm and polite please). Second, please consider that not only are you making a good choice, but you're supporting a small company, rather than just increasing the already enormous cash flow of major corporations. :v:

3 Likes

Well put...just placed my order.

4 Likes