Android - Geofence not working

Just to report I'm having issues with presence on my Android 10 GS9 (v. 1.6.7 build 126) - battery optimisation is off and location is allowed all the time etc.

As others have reported, when I open up the app, the geofence tab clearly sees me as out of the geofence, but it does not update until I touch the radius slider device, then it updates immediately. Same for when I return (see image below).

What version are you on?
I can only see 1.6.8 beta version that I'm on

Sorry forgot to add, it's 1.6.7 - edited to update

@bobbyD might have, an idea when the beta will be released. Seems to be working ok for the people on it.

I'm on the 1.6.8 build 128 on Android phone on Verizon. It seems ever since they introduce Hub subscriptions(which I don't subscribe to), enter/exit events debug shows unable to resolve host 'service.cloud.hubitat.com':no address associated w host. Prior to latest fixes, only exit events gave this error. When on my lan, the enter events went thru but with a major delay...

I've been fighting this for a few weeks and finally thought to check here. Same issue with all those above. My phone has always been set not to optimize battery for the app. Uninstall/reinstall didn't help either.

I have noticed though if I manually hit send geo event, it seems to update the presence for me. (I have a notification for when one of us leaves or arrives).

Does anyone know when build 128 will be available in the play store? I am running build 126 and have optimisation off as well as location services on and its broken. I.e. presence not updated..

When will 128 be released or do we all need to subscribe to beta??

@bobbyD

1 Like

If you join the beta, update to build 128, then leave the beta, you will get build 128 and no more beta versions. That's what I ended up doing on all my devices.

It's still not perfect, but now it's no worse than it was before. Maybe slightly better.

I am running the Beta version 1.6.7.128. I am not sure why it is not release yet. The Developer must know that there are problems.

Similar issues here, version 1.6.7 build 126, battery optimization turned off, Samsung Note 10+ on Android 12. Was working flawlessly on all 3 phones in the house until recent update. Now broken on my phone as well as my son's (iPhone 10 XS Max). Still working on my daughter's phone (Samsung Galaxy S20).

App is reporting "out of geofence" even though I'm very clearly in it. Moving the slider will update it, but then it won't pick up the next event again until you move the slider again.

Not willing to install beta software as 2 of the 3 phones in my house are for my kids.

From what I have seen posted, I don't think there is much you can do with build 126 as it is just broken. The fix is in build 128 but I am not sure why it is taking so long to be pushed to production. Especially since it was apparent that build 126 was broken in Beta before it was pushed to production. Since I found the battery optimization was on after the re-install and turned it off in build 128, it has been working great. I have since upgraded to Android 12 and it continues to work great.

2 Likes

I'm hoping the devs are watching this and on top of it.

I'm hesitant to join the beta channel because I know I'll forget to leave it once it's fixed. :slight_smile:

My wife's phone was doing this but she got 1.6.8 build 128 from the play store without joining the beta, and hers has been fine.

Is there something where the new version only got pushed for certain devices?

I'm on a oneplus, and she's on a samsung. Both Android 11 though.

I tried what someone else suggested and it worked for me. Go the app store, join the beta program. Give it a few minutes and then check for updates. It should download the beta software. Open the app and you should see the 'New Version' splash screen. Go back to the app store and 'leave' the beta program. You now have the upgraded version (which reportedly works) and no longer on the beta program. Do this right away and you shouldn't forget. As someone else said, I don't mind challenges with a 'beta' program, but my wife doesn't have the patience. This fixed it for both of us without dealing with future beta software.

2 Likes

I gave in and installed the beta version. I didn't want to be a beta tester, but it seems we're all beta testers anyway so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I'm just surprised that no comms have come out on build 128 being productionised. Are we waiting for days, weeks, months? This is a critical bug and would have thought more communication to be given..
This is a home automation application.. presence detection is paramount to a number of automation scenes.. This isn't a remote control app.. why the silence??

5 Likes

I'm trying to do the same, but not having any luck. I've been seeing "beta signup in progress" but nothing happening..

It still doesn't work reliably in 128 either. It has not marked me away for a few weeks now. The map shows me out of network,but that's not getting sent to the hub. I strongly reccomend against relying on the app for presence.

1 Like

My device has version 1.6.8 build: 128 installed, and the geofence is broken. I tried uninstalled the app entirely, reinstalling from the play store and logging back in and I have the same issue.

The knows where I am, and lets me set my radius with the slider, but the actual geofence center location is: 0,0 (middle of the ocean off of Africa). I can't locate the actual pin on the map to try to move it, so I'm just stuck.

Is that geofence center stored on the hub or in the app? Is there any way to set it directly, besides relying on trying to drag and drop a pin on a map?

The pin comes from your location set on you hub ,

Actually, it doesn't. The map on the hub and the one in the mobile app are independent.

@calcman unfortunately, there is no easy way currently to position the pin to your location other than minimizing the map, and dragging the pin to your preferred location.

1 Like