[Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

Thanks,

all the devices from the "Google Home Community" app , are offline on "Google home" app, and i cant control them.

any idea what can i do ?

problem solved.. (opened TCP port 443 in the modem)

Hello

I'm trying to figure out how to correctly add Fans to it so they show up correctly in Google home currently I have a fan speed and an on/off trait. And in Google home it always shows as off. Even when I ask for it to set a speed it does that correctly but still shows as off in the GH apps.

Does your fan present the Switch interface (has "on" and "off" commands and a "switch" attribute listed in the state on its device page)? If so then all of the defaults for the On/Off trait should work fine. If not, you'll need to use the fan control interface:

• On/Off Attribute: speed
  • On Value: leave blank
  • Off Value: off
  • Control Type: Single On/Off command with parameter
  • On/Off Command: setSpeed
  • On Parameter: on
  • Off Parameter: off
1 Like

Thank you I had to use the default settings on the on off but remove the On variable.

I am using a mhcozy for my garage door and gate, with a separate sensor for each via Konnected. I can only get them to function as switches in google home, with separate door sensors showing in google home. I can change it to garage door, but then it shows offline. I tried to do a virtual garage door and then have it control my switch but it didnt work either. My ideal situation would be to have a virtual garage door sensor that changed its state in hubitat based on the hubitat sensor, then have to where I only had the garage door controller in google home show up in that app. Like have hubitat do the brain work, but just use google home as the controller and also be able to monitor the door state. Is this even possible?

There are apps to do exactly what you want. Here's one example: [Release] Virtual Garage Door App/Driver (ST Port). Hook up your sensors and switches to something like that and then connect the virtual garage door device that it creates to Google Home and you should be able to get everything working.

1 Like

Thank you - I found one shortly after I posted that and took a minute, but it appears its all syncing now. I do get an error for formatting on occasion for the pin when using voice on speakers, but the app lets me type it in and works. Not sure if my pin settings are incorrect. How do I set it up so that I can just use googles pin for it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "googles pin". Google Home sends the PIN code you provide back to the Hubitat app for verification. If it works when you type it in in the Google Home app then it should be set up correctly; I can't think of any reason it would work then but not when you use voice control.

Before I set this up in hubitat, google home had previously recognized garage door openers and requested for me to set up a pin through its app setup. Your app has a pin section and I set up the pin through it, although it looked like there was an option to use googles pin? I dont remember and I am at work and cant access my hubitat right now.

When I hey google my phone it prompts for a pin and I can type it in and it works. When I hey google a speaker in the house it prompts, and I can say 1,2,3,4 or 12,34, or 1 thousand 2 hundred 34 and it will tell me the pin is the wrong format. Maybe its just some syntax I havent said right?

btw - this app literally saved my smarthouse because my SO cannot handle the hubitat app and being able to get things to work by google is critical - so thank you!

I see. It sounds like your garage door controller's manufacturer has a direct integration with Google Home. You should probably pick either this app via Hubitat or the manufacturer's integration, since they will function completely independently and having a duplicate device may get Google Home confused.

When I set up a test virtual garage door with a pin in this app I'm able to control it using just voice control. I.e. "hey google, open the virtual garage door", "OK, can I have your pin?", "one two three four".

1 Like

I just keep getting an error "Cannot reach Test [Hubitat], please try again later" when I try to add the Made For Google app. Some times it works and gets all the way to authorizing it but I get the error again right at the end before it seems like its about to add all the devices with the exact same error.

Turn on debug logging in the Hubitat app and watch the log when you try to connect it to Google Home. You should see a line with {"inputs":[{"intent":"action.devices.SYNC"}],"requestId":"<bunch of numbers>"} followed by a line that starts with {"requestId":"<same bunch of numbers>","payload": with information about all of the devices you've configured. If you don't see that, then post any errors you do see. If you do see that then post the whole SYNC response and I'll take a look and see if there's something misconfigured.

Thanks for the reply!! So when I turn on All logging in Hubitat I only get this

So it looks like its read my config and it shows up on the Google Home screen to select what devices I want to include, then I click next and a spinning wheel is in the top left corner for like 3 seconds and it looks like it's about to finish but then I am returned to the screen to select an app and I get the before posted error. Sometimes this error happens as soon as I click on my test app some times it happens after I have made it right to the end.

This same error also happens on the official Hubitat app and I can no longer add it back to my Google Home account. I'm not sure if this is an error on Habitat's end with the OAUTH servers or why both the test app and the official app are giving this error. I have tried rebooting my phone to ensure it's not the app.

Also just as an FYI I did have the test app working once but it would not update new devices shared with it so I tried to remove the app then add it again and now I am not able to install either.

Can you confirm that your hub has access to a DNS server (and the internet)?

Yep, I have the connections :slight_smile:

How are your devices configured in the community app? It looks like you have something not setup correctly for those devices.

Yeah I saw those warnings, It was because I set up switches and lights and some of my devices existed in both groups so they were being ignored in the other group, it a warning and it says that it was just ignoring them in the other group not a fault error. It has also been corrected since then

If you're not seeing the SYNC request/response in the logs then Google is never pulling your list of devices. That usually means something wrong in the OAuth config of your Google Action. Check the client ID, client secret, fulfillment URL, and scopes.
Note that the list of devices that appears as part of the account linking process is pulled by Hubitat, not Google, and that happens before Google has completed the OAuth handshake.

Okay so here is what's storage. I finally got it to work by going into the Google home community app and only allowing 1 device in the lists of devices then when I used the Google home app to add my test app to it I selected only that one bulb. and it worked.. it's like it cannot handle me selecting all the devices in my lists that I created! So far it seems to be working and I am adding one device at a time and it seems to be exposing them properly to Google Home.

I do have an issue with my Garage Door that I set up as a garage door in both Hubitat and in Google home and I add an open/close trait to it it asks for a open/close attributes but I have no idea what that means? I also have a tilt sensor that goes with it. How do I set this up?

Also should I set up each kind of device separately? Like lifts that are simple on/of lights with on/off and brightness change?

This section is confusing when I look at the documentation it says

it's very confusing as this is an open/close only door and even the wording about that says "Is this device and open/close only device or can it be partially opened" then the next button says Discrete Only/Open Close. it's very confusing option. you should reword this to answer the question above like

If this device can only be open or closed set "Discrete Open/Close" to ON.
If the device has the ability to be partially opened like a blind or curtains set "Discrete Open/Close" to OFF.

This would be clearer but that's just feedback that it's hard to read and understand.

So what does this Open/Close attribute mean when it's an open/close only door?