[Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

This section is confusing when I look at the documentation it says

it's very confusing as this is an open/close only door and even the wording about that says "Is this device and open/close only device or can it be partially opened" then the next button says Discrete Only/Open Close. it's very confusing option. you should reword this to answer the question above like

If this device can only be open or closed set "Discrete Open/Close" to ON.
If the device has the ability to be partially opened like a blind or curtains set "Discrete Open/Close" to OFF.

This would be clearer but that's just feedback that it's hard to read and understand.

So what does this Open/Close attribute mean when it's an open/close only door?

I think I figured it out. I didn't see there was a set and unset section and because its set it was still not very intuitive as to what value goes here. I looked at my garage door device and saw it has a contact and door status. I am assuming you app calls that an attribute so that Google home knows the current state it reads that attribute from the device. It seems to work but again might be good to update the wording if that is right to be more clear

So one thing I have noticed with this is there are a lot of offline devices that are added for some reason. Is there a way to remove these?

Were these added through this app or through the native integration?

The only App I have installed in Google Home is my [Test] Hubitat one but because of the issues before I feel like I only had 2 devices checked off when I approved the app but all the other devices got added as online devices.

When you authenticate and allow this app you get brought to a page that shows all the devices you want to add to google home. I selected only 2 of them and it seems like the 2 that I checked got added but all the ones I didn't check off got added but were marked as offline.

I might just start from ground zero again and rip out the app and config and redo the project. My devices are working fine but there are all these offline ones also

OK, so you added all those "offline" devices to the GHI app?

Enable debug logging in the Hubitat app and say "hey google, sync my devices" or pull down to refresh at the top of the devices page in the Google Home app while watching the log. Post the SYNC response here. There is no reason that this app would add offline devices to Google Home.

Note: it is best not to touch the list of devices presented while linking with Google Home. That list is intended to work with the built-in Google Home integration and doesn't work super well with this app. You should manage your selected devices from within the Google Home Community app.

Please copy and paste that log as text.

1 Like

I think you guys are right I think this is left over form using the Google Home app and not the community app. I am going to just wipe and start from new.

This seems to have fixed it. I think my system was in a limbo of being there then being removed from the old app. I now only have the Community Devices.

So Question how do I share a virtual switch? I created a device group called Switches without dimmers and gave it an on/off attribute only. But its not shared to google home even though its checked in the list

A virtual switch will show up as a regular switch.

Create VS in Hubitat
Create Switch device in GHI and assign VS to it
Should Populate in GH.

@curtman3 Thanks I found it. It got added to a room called "Misc." that had all my virtual devices in it. Google Home likes to group things like all lights into one group. I got it now.

@mbudnek Do you have a buy me a beer link?

Also this uses the Google Cloud and Hubitat's Cloud API. Is there any way to publish this app to talk directly to the IP address of the habitat instead of the cloud? this way faster responses. Does anything execute locally on the Google Home Speakers? I am assuming they are executed on the Google Cloud so you would have to use Habitat's Cloud API But trying to find different way to get it more local and faster! I don't know if it is a placebo effect or not but this Community app seems to run faster then the Hubitat Google Home App. Should it be faster?

Is there a way to expose sensor values to Google Home. IE Humidity, Temperature? I can't seem to find a Google Home trait that will just show the values.

Use the various "X Setting" traits (i.e. "Temperature Setting", "Humidity Setting") and enable the "Query Only" toggles to tell Google they're read-only.

Ahh perfect thanks. Is there a Google Home device that I should choose to have both Humidity and Temp show? Or would they have to be seperate devices in Google Home

Sadly no. You can add all the traits you want to a single device and voice control will respond about any of them, but the app is pretty limited in the sets of controls it will show.
Also the way the Hubitat app currently works you can only select a device as a single device type. If you select the same device as multiple types all but one of them will be ignored.

1 Like

Yeh i used a sensor for Google Home and Hubitat and it shows the setpoint is 23c and the actual is 56% humidity.. Kind of gives you two but if i ask it says the Sensor is set to 23c im okay with that. good enough. And yes I was hoping i could make a thermostat and humidifier in Google Home but realized it can only live in one or the other. Is that a habitat limitation? As it would be cool to use it in more than one place. Like some of my sensors are 5 in 1

No, its a limitation of the fact I set the device IDs sent to Google directly from the Hubitat device ID and now I'm kind of stuck with it. If I change it it will cause everyone's devices to get new IDs and Google will see them all as new devices and break things like automations and room assignments.

It's not even clear what choosing the same device as multiple types should mean. Should it be represented as multiple devices or should the traits of the different device types get merged together into one device?

These are problems that could probably be solved, I just haven't had the time or motivation to solve them.

1 Like

NP thanks for your effort on this!

Do you have a donate page or buy me a bear