[Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

You're a rockstar. I (and my parents) thank you. But if you're able to accomplish it, I'm thank you more because it will save my sanity. Lol

Yeah this is what I have tried, but when I try the re connect account it just fails to connect to it. I'll try again later.

I've had some trouble with the google connection last week or so. I suspect my pihole may have been blocking something but the failures have been intermittent so very difficult to nail down.

I had the same issue I think. I was trying to reconnect it in the Google home app and wouldn't work until I disconnected from my wifi.

Hi, can anyone confirm that this version of google snuggling implementation is capable of talking to and understanding sensors.. Specifically

Smartlife (zigbee)

Temp/humidity (battery)
Temp/humidity/lux (powered)
Water (battery)
Motion/Temp/humidity/lux (powered)
Motion (battery).

In other news. 18 mourning+ gecko eggs. 14 cornsnake hatchlings. 20 cornsnake eggs (het palmetto). Their days, temperatures and humidities all controlled by the hub.

• Mourning geckos have no males. The Victorian herpetologists called them that because they thought they missed their husbands and were in mourning :flushed::joy:. Turns out they're habitually parthenogenetic.

Im tempted to change to this over the app I'm running because that version doesn't think sensors exist, so I'm having to use brodging tricks to get things to work. But I need a confirmation before I make all this effort. :worried:

PS Is there a function in the zigbee protocol to make sure that spamming devices can't be repeaters? I have a tuya mmRadar sensor that has taken on repeater duty, but it goes nuts with lux readings - sending them every 5 seconds or when the motion side is triggered..

This integration should work for all of those capabilities besides motion and illuminance. It can control or report on any device that's connected to Hubitat, but the commands it can execute and the data it can report on depend on what device traits Google Home supports on their side.

• Google recently added an "OccupancySensing" trait for motion/occupancy reporting, but I haven't added support to this app yet. I'll try to get that in soon now that I realize it exists.
    • Until then, you could use the "On/Off" trait with some dummy commands (I also now realize Google has added a "Query Only" config to that trait that this app doesn't support, I could add that pretty easily if needed). EDIT: I just added support for the "Occupancy Sensing" trait.
  • Google just hasn't gotten around to adding support for illuminance sensors to Google Home.
    • You could use the "Sensor State" trait and pretend its some other type of sensor that reports an absolute numeric value like Particulate Matter or Carbon Dioxide. Google will tell you the wrong units, but at least you could probably get the number.

For the sensors that are curranty supported:

• Temperature sensor: Use the "Temperature Setting" trait with the "Query Only" toggle enabled
  • Humidity sensor: Use the "Humidity Setting" trait with the "Query Only" toggle enabled
  • Battery level: Use the "Energy Storage" trait
  • Water sensor: Use the "Sensor State" trait with a "Water Leak" or "Rain Detection" sensor type as appropriate
  • Motion sensor: Use the "Occupancy Sensing" trait
1 Like

New Release 0.36.3

This release adds support for the Occupancy Sensing trait for motion/occupancy sensors.

2 Likes

How come when I select "Device Type" as button when I create a new device type, nothing populates in the list of devices to select? I am trying to take a "virtual button" from Hubitat and share it with Google Home as a "Switch" for fan control. It lets me create the new device type just fine, but when I go to try and select my button device to share, the list is empty.

Use one of the more specific button capabilities: "Double Tapable Button", "Holdable Button", "Pushable Button" or "Releasable Button". The generic "Button" capability is deprecated and the virtual button driver doesn't implement it.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks!

I have made progress, but still getting an error when trying to control my button device via Google Home. Here's the error I get in the log. It seems to be processing the "push" command, but I'm guessing the "null" is due to it not knowing which button to "push", ie push button 1. What is the proper way for me to format the command for "push button 1"?

Are you trying to use the On/Off trait? If so, you'll probably need to set the "Control Type" to "Single On/Off command with parameter". Then you could set the "On/Off Command" to "push", the "On Parameter" to "1" and the "Off Parameter" to "2". You'll also probably want to change the "On/Off Attribute" to "pushed", the "On Value" to "1", and the "Off Value" to "2" so that you can query the state of the "switch".

That all seems overly complex though. Why not just use a virtual switch instead of a virtual button? That way all of the default settings in the On/Off trait will work just fine.

Yes, I am trying to use the On/Off trait. The reason I am using a button device within Hubitat is because this device being controlled is an IR blaster and each "command" is controlled by a virtual button. The same command does both On and Off functions for the fan being controlled by IR commands.

So in this case, I assume I could do single command with parameter, and just have both On and Off commands be "Push" with parameter value of "1", and that would accomplish what I'm trying to do, I think. I'll give this a shot now.

Yup, this has the desired effect. Thanks for your help.

However, now that I'm playing around with it a bit, I was thinking maybe the "Scene" trait would work better for a "activation" button than an "on/off" trait? I was gonna try it, but the command section lacks the "parameter" to identify which button to "push". Is there a way of indicating "push:1" or something similar to get this effect?

No, not currently. I would avoid the scene trait for most things though; It's treated very differently by the Google Home app (for instance, it doesn't show up as a device on the devices page).

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah Google doesn't seem get the simple things right sometimes. It kinda blows my mind that there is a trait for Sous Vide and Yogurt Maker but not for a simple button commands yet.

It may be obvious, but I am still unsure whether the original integration with Google Home needs to be removed or pruned for the device you use this integration tool. For example, my primary objective is that fans are recognized as fans, not lights in google home. They are already loaded into Google Home via the original Google Home integration as lights. What should I do?

Both apps have been around a very long time now and I have always had both running. Basics stay in the built in app (lamps etc) anything else is all handled by this app.

The two are totally independent. You don't have to remove the built-in integration or even remove any devices from it, but any device that you configure in both integrations will appear twice in Google Home.

2 Likes

does the google cloud services are free ?
of should i pay for them in order to use this app ?

Thanks,

oMRi