Almost all Zwave devices not working anymore

So I have been using Hubitat for several years now and I migrated from C7 to C8 when it was released some time ago and I never had this problem before. Not was bad I believe, I would say the automations would work 95% of the time. I have between 30 and 40 zwave devices and in the last 3 days my house is a mess and nothing is working.

One month ago I bought a Zwave Yale Assure Lock 2 and it worked flowless in the first week. Second week it was working 80% of the time and third week it was 50%. So I had some hardwired devices that I was not using anymore (completely disconnected for some months) but they were still registered to hubitat (some motion detectors and a garage opener - all of them replaced by newer devices). So I removed them from hubitat, excluded and included again the Yale Lock and now 95% of the zwave devices are not working anymore.

I'm on the latest firmware. I tried to shutdown Hubitat for 30 minutes and restart it and it didn't fix the problem. I tried to repair z-wave and it didn't work either. Yesterday I tried a soft reset and this morning I still have the same problem. I believe I don't have any ghost devices.

I really don't want to do a hard reset, too many devices to re-include. Before most of my devices would connect directly to the hub, now most of them do several hops to the hub. The hub is on the center of the house. So do you have any advice on how to fix all this problem? Maybe @gopher.ny ?

So, you are saying you un-powered devices that were connected to hubitat without excluding them first? If that is the case, then that is where I would start. You need to leave connected devices powered if they are still connected to hubitat. Otherwise, they act like ghosts and screw up your mesh. If you are going to power them down, then you need to exclude them.

1 Like

Were those screenshots right after a fresh reboot? A lot of device do not have routes, which can happen sometimes but they should recover and lock in a route.

I would like to see the zwave details after the hub has been running for 12+ hours (please state how long hub was running).

I also see you have a Zooz double plug of some sort and two Zooz sensor devices. What models are they? The ZEN25 and ZSE40 are often misconfigured which will cause problems.

@tray_e I re-powered the devices so I could exclude them. In general everything was working fine even with these devices off but not excluded from the hub. Now they are off and completely excluded from the hub.

@jtp10181 Those screenshots were taken after 11..12 hours after the last reboot when I soft-reseted the hub. I have one ZEN25 that has been working fine for around 2 years. I don't have the ZSE40 but I do have some ZSE18 motion detectors that are hardwired/battery powered and others dimmers from zooz such as ZEN72, water detector ZSE42 and the garage door opener ZEN17. Please let me know if you need any other info..

Do you use the power info from the ZEN25 at all? Did you set the parameter (not exposed by the driver) to shut off the power reporting? If not or you are not sure, you may want to unplug that device temporarily as a test. The rest of the Zooz devices you have are not trouble makers.

Also, the fact that was taken 12 hours after reboot is sort of concerning actually, many devices with no routes and 0 route changes.

I think next order of business is to do a proper shutdown, pull power for 10+ seconds then reboot. This restarts the internal zwave radio. Give it a few minutes after reboot and check the zwave details again, and again in an hour or two. Hopefully there will be some more activity.

1 Like

I use the power meter to turn the leds attached to a TV when the tv is on. It has been working great for the longest time.

I tried to completely shut down the hub and disconnect from power twice before. Do you think I should still try that?

Thanks for trying to help me!

Since it sounds non-critical, unplug the ZEN25 and then try the shut down / reboot once more. It is possible something has changed and the ZEN25 is now causing issues. Leaving it unplugged for now without excluding as test should not cause any horrible problems.

Oh also, may want to power off the Lock as well if possible, since that was the other major variable. Just in case it is the lock causing the issues.

So I disconnected the zen25 and the battery for the lock but I didn't excluded them from hubitat. I turned the main breaker off and hubitat after a shutdown of the hub. Turned the main breaker and hubitat on again and I still have issues. Half of my devices don't have a routing. Even for devices that have a routing when I tried to turn a Dimmer on/off, it takes almost a minute to make the action happen. I'm out of ideas and really sad right now. @support_team could you please help me?

Not sure why you turned off the main breaker. Was not needed.
You may just need to wait around 24hrs for things to settle down and devices to discover routes.

I saw in another thread that a person had problems with devices disconnecting from the zwave radio and that helps. I was wondering if it could help me as well. I will play the wait game as you said and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks!

Did your issue resolve? Facing something similar perhaps so would be helpful to know what, if anything, worked for you.

I just had a similar issue. It all seemed to start with a single switch that died and was force-removed from Hubitat without exclusion (because the device was dead). Problems started slowly, with one device lagging or occasionally behaving weird. Over a few weeks, problems slowly spread over my whole home. Every ZWave device was wigging out, hub was lagging massively, all sorts of things were broken.

My wife was very unimpressed.

I spent two weeks getting a ZWave stick and going through all the ghost removal tutorials using PC Controller. Excluding and reincluding devices, repairing, etc. Everything to no avail real avail.

Then last week, when I was reincluding motion sensor, about at my wits end, I noticed somehow it added to the network WITHOUT adding to Hubitat. The device said it was included to a ZWave network. PC Controller could see it too, but no trace of it existed in Hubitat. So I put Hubitat in exclusion mode, excluded the device. Hubitat confirmed that an unknown device had been excluded. So, then I immediately excluded the ZWave stick and unplugged it, after which the motion sensor easily included back into Hubitat with no issues.

The same day, it was also suggested that I disable any recently added network integrations. I had two which I disabled and have subsequently removed. Those were Homekit Integration and Rachio Integration (built-in).

Since then, my problems have since entirely resolved. I still have no explanation for the month-long ZWave nightmare I just experienced. Maybe the bad route for that one dead ZWave switch just had to pass around my whole ZWave network before it eventually disappeared. Maybe my ZWave stick was doing something and making it all worse. Maybe Rachio or Homekit was to blame. I have no idea, but it's all working perfectly again now.

My wife is still not impressed though :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I moved my reply to your other thread

1 Like

I moved my hubitat to outside of a drawer to a open space and everything went back to normal. It was there for several years so I don't know what happened. One week later I moved it again to where it was before and things were still working. So I don't what happened :sweat_smile:

It always amazes me how fragile these meshes can be.
Also:

1 Like