Almond routers to update the firmware on Securifi Peanut plugs

@jim1 just ported the SmartThings DTH for the Securifi Peanut plug to Hubitat. The driver is available from GitHub and works for power monitoring as long as the plug's firmware has been updated.

The driver requires the Peanut's firmware to be updated, which can only be done using an Almond router.

I've a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. Which specific Almond models support the Peanut plug and can be used to update its firmware?
  2. Does this process require a subscription or something of the nature from Securifi, or just a compatible Almond router?

Thanks.

Anyone out there with an almond router that would be willing to update the plugs for other users? :joy:

3 Likes

Actually, I could update plugs for people if needed.

The Almond +, Almond 3, and Almond 3S will all update the plugs. The Almond 2015 should also (but I do not have personal experience on that).

2 Likes

There's always the Amazon "loaner program" :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh Jesus!

3 Likes

I take it you're against borrowing from a company that has billions?

1 Like

Not at all .... just didn't expect to find that advice on a Saturday morning!

2 Likes

Thanks! I found an Almond 3 on eBay for $35 including shipping. Going to update a bunch of plugs and put it back on eBay ....

1 Like

Loaner program??? Huh?

Oh wait, I get it. That's horrible! :wink:

On the other hand, the ebay loaner program is a good idea. In fact, you might make a profit!

2 Likes

Sunday's your preferred day? :wink::joy:

2 Likes

Is it? Why? Have they not, and continue to profit immensely on our purchases and private data? Companies like Costco and Amazon factor things in like this. They are shrewd business operators and don't lose in the end. You're "trying" the product to see if it meets your needs :wink: and when it's returned in good condition, you're helping a fellow Amazon shopper with an Amazon Warehouse Deal.

Amazon profits, you profit, the package carrier profits, the purchaser of the warehouse deal profits, and everyone along the line has a job. Where's the negative?

1 Like

No, I'm better prepared shenanigans later in the day - after a couple doses of tonic :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Just helping out my fellow man :grin:

2 Likes

You obviously missed the smiley face... :wink:
But it is a bit underhanded.
And, its OK that they make a profit. They do it by selling me what I want at a very good price and ALWAYS treating me fairly and honestly.
I'm saying this just after getting ripped off by a FlyByNight selling Peanut Plugs. Hopefully Paypal will help. :frowning:

1 Like

Not missed. Responding to the words which are louder than emojis. :wink:

I don't disagree that their policies are why you and I like them. It's good business and they've figured out that formula. Don't confuse a business practice with any loyalty to you though. They don't have any.

I'm never dishonest with them. In Canada, we have a choice when making a return that you do not have in the US. It is "Incompatible or not useful". That is never a lie to say that something I don't want to keep is not useful to me.

In the US, you must pay the return postage if you don't claim that the item is defective. This is unnecessary, and they know very well that it is not the case most of the time. They are going to check (or should anyway) the items that are returned. Some people just don't know how to properly configure or use products, or they have expectations that are beyond what the product was designed or intended to do. They then pronounce it defective and return it. Whether they believe that is the truth, or not, just cannot be known. My point here is, this is a fault in their business practice and to my view, an unnecessary inefficiency. Worse, I see people writing all the time that they "threw out the item". What a terrible waste and an additional blight on our already over polluted world. Amazon US policy is just encouraging waste for profit. No, sorry, I'm not convinced that the way Amazon makes me feel is a sign that they care about more than the bottom line.

2 Likes

Actually, no. The smiley means I was not being serious.
I was being facetious.
But this might be getting a bit off topic so I'll stop here.

1 Like

Quick question, if I buy one today will it have the proper firmware and how do I tell? (the peanut switch)

@rich.princeau

I bought mine off Amazon 2 months ago, and they don't have firmware that permits power monitoring. Based on Google searches, it would appear that the firmware that does power monitoring was released at least 17 months ago.

The firmware came out a long time ago but I am not sure if any Peanut Plugs actually came with it from the factory. So far they have performed very well for me and been very reliable. I have not worried about the power monitoring that much. Once in a while I might be curious about something but overall I have not had to worry about making sure each one was updated.

2 Likes

Hahaha this is the same program I use every time I host a party ... my house is usually completely bare, and every time my friends come over the decorations are completely different... :wink:

Edit: much less expensive...

3 Likes