Alloy SmartHome / SmartRent

I viewed two appartments today that include Alloy SmartHome technology:

https://smartrent.com/product/

The Alloy hub is installed in the cabinet above the microwave in each unit. Each unit has a Yale keypad lock and a Honneywell thermostat. Does anyone know anything about this system? Can it be integrated with HE in any way? If not, can I add my existing Z-Wave devices to the hub?

It looks like Alloy is a smart home hub that supports z-wave. So your z-wave devices may work with it, but it doesn’t seem like a good option for integrating with hubitat.

1 Like

Why do you say it doesn't seem like a good option for integrating?

I think its because there's no open API indicated on their website. Also, doesn't look like it can function as a secondary controller or that it supports secondary controllers.

Make sense. Unfortunately I have found very little technical information on the system at all.

It appears to be a hub made by another company that wants to create its own ecosystem with mobile app, rules/automations, cloud-based integrations with virtual assistants, etc.

It might be possible to integrate with other z-wave hubs as a secondary controller as @aaiyar mentions, although I agree the info they have on their website is pretty scant so there’s no way to say one way or the other.

But if I’m not mistaken, Hubitat doesn’t function all that well either as a secondary controller itself, or with another hub as secondary controller added to Hubitat’s z-wave mesh. I could be wrong about that, since I have never had a reason to look into it that much, but that’s what I’ve gathered from reading threads here in the forum over the years.

Until now I've not had a reason to do it, either, but don't many users integrate Hubitat with SmartThings? Reading about that is what gave me the idea (and the hope!) that this might be possible.

But I do understand now that the lack of API and very little technical documentation means that it probably isn't.

Sad day. I just switched to Hubitat about a month ago. Now I get to toss it in a box for a year. (If we move into one of those places.)

Some yes, it’s hard to say how many though.

That’s partially because Hubitat was mostly born out of SmartThings, and also the community-developed app HubConnect added a pretty robust option for syncing SmartThings devices with Hubitat.

I think most Hubitat users do not directly link their ST and HE hubs.

In any case, without something from Alloy’s side confirming they even make it possible to integrate (however that’s defined), prospects don’t look good.

If the home comes with devices in place, could you exclude them from Alloy and then just use them with Hubitat as the z-wave controller?

1 Like

I don't think residents are allowed to exclude the lock from Alloy because that is the property management's access control system. Chances are I will continue to run the rest of my devices on HE, but it will be a bummer to lose automations that rely on door lock status. (Lights come on when we come home at night, etc.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.