Alfred lock RM issue

Hello,

I didn't want to post this to sound stupid, but where and how did you add "set detected" or set door trigger, I've been searching each action and I see nothing to add "set detected or set door trigger. This is my 1st time seeing that

Can you share the steps to set this up.

No I should have given more details.

Detected.lock.code is a RM global variable set up as a String.

And then I Set the variable like this

Then that variable can be referenced in any other RM by using %Detected.lock.code%

Thank you, your setup is pretty complex, and I appreciate your help, but I was looking for more details in the steps and why you would say Detected.lock.code, as in what's the reason, could it have been called anything or you had to list it like that. If there's a place here where you learned how to do this, I don't mind reading the thread to learn. I would just like to know the reason why I'm doing something in RM so if I run into something similar in the future or someone with the same issue, I could explain the setup.

I also wonder if the issue is with the lock or HE because what HE is reporting back with my Alfred lock. for example, this is what I see in the log for the lock,

If you went into the events of your lock, do you see this even when you unlock via the code? I'm not sure if it should say physically unlocked when it's unlocked via a code, but can you confirm if yours say the same?

1 Like

The variable name can be anything. It is not a predefined name that you have to use or anything.

I believe it just lists physical in my logs but good question. I will try to check later this evening.

1 Like

Sorry didnā€™t get to this until now.

So it logs ā€œSteve[physical]ā€

1 Like

Thanks for checking at least now I know that's reporting as it should.

1 Like

@support

Thank you guys so much for the post on FB about the ticket issue. I submitted this issue via a ticket since those who tried to help me here and on FB had no answers to the Lock code issue.

Someone here tried to help me as well. the ticket I submitted was on 1/16. I checked my spam but no one replied back.

Tagging @bobbyD

1 Like

@support @bobbyD

Anyone has any thoughts or even looked at this yet?

So are vs..., vl..., Door.triggered.id, and y... also variables you created?

1 Like

I use vs. and vl. as prefixes for virtual switch and virtual lock, so they are both virtual devices.

I put a virtual lock between my lock and any rules that access its state just in case I ever change my lock so I donā€™t have to edit a bunch of rules. I just did this in October when I replaced my Schlage with an Alfred and got pissed about the # of rules I had to edit.

For instance the change in mode will turn off certain lights based on the status of the front door lock. If itā€™s open it still means we are up and I donā€™t want lights turned off.

I donā€™t see y. in my logs, but that is a prefix I use for my contact switches to trigger Alexa routines. I have less of those now since I am using Echo Speaks, but I still have some in use.

I created a virtual device for that exact same reason. So I certainly get that part of it.

In the screenshot the was very large you had:
On: y.Presence.becky.announce

Iā€™ve been sitting on the fence about a door lock and havenā€™t tried anything sophisticated with RM yet, so please excuse these newbie questions.

Is vs.lock.code a method of a lock object?

Is there any autocomplete so when yo type ā€œvs.ā€ does a list pop up so you know what you can use? If not, where is this documented?

1 Like

Questions are never a problem. Thatā€™s what the forum is for. Itā€™s just been months since I posted on this thread so I have to remind myself what was being discussed. And I havenā€™t re-read the whole thing yet. A busy day and another meeting in a few mins

Not exactly sure what you are asking about vs.lock.code.detected but I use it as a flag that turns the on when the detect RM runs and gets cleared when another RM runs. Iā€™m not 109% sure why I did it this way. When I had my Schlage I remember the value of lock code only got updated when a new lock code was entered and not cleared if the door was physically opened or via Zwave.

Iā€™m not sure if my Alfred lock behaves the same way or not, but my previously set up RMs work so I didnā€™t try to optimize latter.

Re: the auto populating of variable names. In some cases. If you are setting a variable or testing a variable there is a drop down selection. But you have to type them in under other usages. When you type it in wrong it tells you but often I have to go back or pop ip another tab to view the variable list at the same time.

Note: in the next major release global variable are getting redone to make the truly global and not just limited to RM. For this reason I would suggest waiting to do anything beyond playing at this point.

Re:

I was wondering that if you had a switch (virtual or real) named ā€œvsā€ that ā€œdetectedā€ was a property/method of a switch.

For example, I work a lot with VBA and if Iā€™m in my Word editor window and type ā€œactive document.ā€ Iā€™ll get a pop up of choices that goes with that, such as ā€œselectionā€ or ā€œparagraphsā€, etc. So it might end up with some code that looked like activedocument.paragraphs(1).font.bold.

But from reading your response Iā€™m now getting the feeling that you might just have created a variable called ā€œvs.lock.code.detectedā€. I was confused as a lot of program samples Iā€™ve read would have typed it as ā€œvsLockCodeDetectedā€ or possibly ā€œvs_lock_code_detectedā€ as a period denotes a method or property. Not that there is anything wrong with using periods here, but it may have just thrown me off. A case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes if I was a real software guy I should have typed it this way in retrospect and now I understand how I confused you. Thank you for explaining it further.

For all my variables and virtual devices I am using periods as a word separator.

So now that we got all that straightened out :grinning:,, would you recommend the Alfred or something else? I like that the Alfred has the one touch unlock, but I think I would then need the wi-fi bridge as it gets notified when you are within 200 meters (feet?) via GPS and wi-fi. And, of course, Iā€™d want the Z-wave module too to work with Hubitat and a door sensor as it doesnā€™t have its own door sensor built in. That makes it really pricey.

The one-touch feature uses BT to detect the presence of your phone. I only have the zwave module in mine so I do not have the wifi bridge.

I use life360 for presence detect with a timeout so I do not have the one touch feature enabled.

The only thing is am not ecstatic about is the battery life. Itā€™s better than my Schlage but not what I hoped. The energizers that came with it lasted two months. I replaced with new energizers in December and I am currently at 69%. I guess thatā€™s six months so maybe I have nothing to complain about. With the original set of batteries the lock failed to actuate at 41% so I have my notification set for 45% now. I was hoping to get a year out of a set of batteries and I doubt I will make it to December.

Also if I had the one touch feature enabled it would be worse.

The Alfred app for iOS is very nice - probably the best AP I have. You can do a FW upgrade to the lock via the app although I have only had to do this once so far.

HE integration is flawless.

The Yale Assure was my runner up. I like the looks of the SL without the key but I think it looks pretty ugly with the keyed version.

My back door is a patio door and my garage does not have an interior door to the house (the door comes onto the front porch) so I felt I needed to pick a lock with a backup key in case of electronics failure.

Thanks for the info. I had signed up for a Shepherd lock when they were a Kickstart campaign well before I got Hubitat or did any smart home stuff because they were supposed to be out 1st 1/4 2020 and featured a touch feature without having to change the outside lock. (They say they worked for auto companies making the same touch type features for car doors.) I didn't get the lock until a few months ago, well over a year late.

There have been a bunch of updates, but the touch feature is still only hit or miss at best and is very slow to recognize the user, even when it works. And, with its price (comparable to the Alfred), frankly, that is the only reason I got it. They also say it works best if we take the phone out of our pocket. But to me, if I'm already doing that I might as well get an August, which from my experience with my son's August, works 99.99% of the time with the app, is much quieter, much faster, and much cheaper.

The Shepherd does have a feature to detect if the door is ajar and/or open, but that's been spotty too. But they have added a sensitivity slider that seems to have helped a lot.

BTW, their claimed experience with car door touch mechanics seemed believable as they are in Ann Arbor, which is just outside of Detroit. (I'm not saying it isn't true, I just don't know. But as car touch expert I don't know why the Shepard fails so many times to open by me touching the outside lock while car door's touch lock/unlock never, ever fails),

Likewise, the auto-lock has been spotty with the Shepherd, even without a door open or door ajar status. Since I had paid for it a year 1/2 ago I'm waiting to see if they get it working, but...

Finally, they are going to have a version 2 with Z-way (they say) but would not let me upgrade to that, even before I got my lock, and have not indicated if there will be any upgrade path to us original investors.

So, now that I have the Hubitat I've been looking for a replacement. I don't want to punch in a code. I want either a one-touch ala Alfred or a fingerprint unlock ala Lockly or the Ultraloq (but I wish the Ultraloq fingerprint came in stainless, and not just in black), but, of course, whatever I get has to also work with Hubitat.

Neat info about the Kickstarter. I hope they get it working properly. Cap touch isnā€™t rocket science these days. Geesh.

I had the weisser biometric door lock when my son was younger - got it so he didnā€™t have to carry a key to school. He had the touch and could make it work. For me it was always a PIA. But it was a sensor that you had to slide your finger over. Iā€™m sure they are better now.

I installed a konnected io about six months ago and replaced an outdated DCS 1500 panel so now HE will not lock the door when itā€™s ajar and uses Echo Speaks to tell me the door is open.

It it is closed far enough for the sensor to be engaged, but the lock doesnā€™t extend, the lock buzzes a few times and says lock failed or something like that. I have an RM that also has a timeout and if the lock doesnā€™t lock successfully it tells me through Echo speaks. This RM was written when I still had my Schlage and often had issues. Not really an issue now but just extra insurance.

Just an update on the current status of my Shepherd lock. There has been a whole bunch of app and firmware updates. None really had it working with any consistency. I had given up on the touch feature a while ago as you had to have your phone in your hand to get it work (why it is too weak to work through a pair of pants is unfathomable to me). In any event, if I had the app open and touched lock/unlock it mostly worked. However, with their latest firmware update it was constantly making me do a recalibrate on the door open/ajar/closed feature

That is until this past Wednesday, 8/4/21, when the lock got stuck in a calibration routine in the open position. I took off the inside cover but could not turn the lock by hand. I also could not get the bolt to move with the key. I had to physically disassemble it and remove it from the door. I notified Shepherd via their website, and they acknowledged getting it, but thatā€™s the last Iā€™ve heard from them. BTW, I still have not received the Wi-Fi bridge that was supposed to be out Q1 2020.

1 Like