Aladdin Connect (garage door) driver

Thanks @mikes. Did as you suggested (turned logging on in the Parent, and then pushed the button to try to close in the Child). Looks like you received 4 lines in the log, I only received 1, which looks like your #4

2022-11-21 02:21:09.569 PMdebughttpAccess(POST, [uri:https://pxdqkls7aj.execute-api.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Android/devices/713374/door/1/command, headers:[AppVersion:5.30, BundleName:com.geniecompany.AladdinConnect, User-Agent:okhttp/3.12.1, BuildVersion:2042, X-Api-Key:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Content-Type:application/json, Authorization:Bearer xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, requestContentType:application/json, body:{"command_key":"CloseDoor"}])

Hold on, stop the presses. Then about 30 seconds later I get an entry in the log that is 40-50 lines (wrapped) long. Let me parse through this, there is probably a clue in there. THANKS for reminding me to use the logs :wink: I'll post an update later.

ha-ha! Thanks again @mikes for suggesting logging. What do they say, "user error, the most common of all errors". I had a problem with my UID/PSWD. Solved, now. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

@tomw - This morning I received an "excessive events" alert for Aladdin Connect System. Although I have refresh set to 5 minutes (which was previously working as expected), the driver started throwing an initialize every couple of seconds. After a bit of fussing around, I realized that my Aladdin Connect app on my phone wouldn't connect either, and I finally received a message in the app that there is an issue they are working to fix. I was able to slow its roll by increasing the runIn time to 20 where shown below, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to handle Aladdin system being offline (asking because identifying and updating the runIn is about the extent of my abilities). Just not sure if increasing this value is going to cause an issue for normal operation.

Thanks!

If you are still able to reproduce this, will you please enable logging on the parent device and then send Logs output? I have a theory on what may be going wrong, but I need the logs to confirm.

Amateur move. Below are the logs. This is now that I've increased the aforementioned parameter to 60 (instead of 20). Note that my Aladdin Connect app is still unable to connect. I'd be interested to know if it's down for other users all day, or this is an issue with my Aladdin Connect account at Genie.

This is earlier in the day before I was receiving the failures shown in the logs above:

Mine says offline for 38 hours in the Aladdin app so probably them.
Just got "Service Unavailable" at the top of the app and comm error in hubitat so it isn't just you.

I can't reproduce the issue on my end, but I did see something weird that I was doing in @brad's logs. I'm going to PM you some modified code to try out to see if we can improve the behavior.

Getting the same. Can still get it to work, but it's spotty.

Newb here with a single Genie opener and Aladdin. I installed the drivers and virtual device from Github and set Device user/password for Aladdin. But there is no child device shown and it shows commStatus:error. The log shows this every 5 minutes:

(re uploading...)

You may want to remove that screenshot, because your password can be decoded from it!

Do these same credentials work with the Aladdin Connect mobile app? Please try hitting Initialize on the virtual device page in Hubitat.

1 Like

Yes, the Aladdin app logs in fine. I had already hit initialize but I did it again now, same results.

(Thanks for the tip about the password!)

I'm a bit stumped since your login details worked for me.

Some people in the HA community said that the 403 error happened intermittently and then went away on its own without explanation. That makes it harder to debug. :wink:

I would try deleting the virtual device and trying again from scratch. Are you located in the US or some other country/region?

1 Like

I deleted then reinstalled the device & drivers: SUCCESS! Thanks for your help and great work.

1 Like

Hey, @tomw - Per the post linked below, it looks like Genie’s recent “update” to their app broke this app. Is there any fix in the works? If not, can you tell me if there’s logic in there that looks at the status of the door and doesn’t execute the action if the requested action reflect the current status? I’m thinking this is the case, because my garage door status is stuck on closed, and the open command still works, but the close command does not. If such logic exists, is it possible to remove it (or make it an option) and “force” the action regardless of the state? It seems like this would be a simpler temporary fix than trying to figure out what Genie did to break it. I’ll do some digging in the code myself as I have time, but this is a bit beyond my skill set. (I’m in IT management for a living :slight_smile:.)

Yup, it's broken. No status updates, and it responds to OPEN commands, but not CLOSE. Hoping it's fixable.

I found a temporary (hopefully) workaround that will solve the close issue if you use Echo Speaks. Posted over here:

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting the workaround, @brad. Please see my comment on this situation here: Warning: Aladdin Connect garage door - #7 by tomw

1 Like