After being a long time hold out to upgrading, I will say that the latest build seems to be very quick and, although it’s a little premature to say this, it does appear to be stable for me.
This wasn’t my initial experience, although I did not experience a freezing hub at any point, I had experienced some slowdowns. Working with Bobby, I identified that on my system anyway, the Chromecast Integration (beta) was causing an issue. And it seems an old Z-Wave home energy monitor was also a contributor. Both of these are on me really. I had been warned that there were potential issues with running that beta software. And I had been warned that using two Aeon Z-Wave home energy monitors on a single hub could cause problems.
So my point of all of this is, it’s quite easy to just say it’s not ready for prime time, but I think that the majority of the time it does turn out to be things that we have done to our own hubs, or a misbehaving device. In my case it seems to have been both. I’m not pointing fingers, but I am suggesting that we all lower ours and stop just deciding it’s “this one thing”. This hobby is about taking a mix of devices from different manufacturers, software from different sources, and very often software that we are warned may have issues and yet we proceed because it’s cool. With a mix like that alone, it’s a recipe for instability.
I like how @stephack described it in another thread.
And although I am replying to you, I am certainly not singling you out. You’ve got the right mindset about it being a hobby, and your wife is tolerant as you mentioned, which is always helpful. I think far too often wanting to find a single cause, blinds us to what the real problem and solution is. I am absolutely guilty of doing the exact same thing.