Reliability of "compatible" locks

My experience is the HE antenna is much less powerful than Wink to and the ST in terms of range. Wink gave me a ton of fits with my Locks, but I also never installed repeaters as they "sometimes worked" and I figured it was a Wink issue not a range thing.

If there's a a fix, it definitely isn't universal.

1 Like

I believe Mike has already stated that they reached out to Schlage and they had no interest in partnering with HE. You can read into that what you will but anything you come up with, will be an assumption (and probably one that only serves to soldify whatever POV you already hold).

As Mike as also stated, this has been discussed ad nauseam (love that term btw) and I personally don't believe any magic fix is coming.

The way I see it is, if you have a Schalge lock, you have 2 real options.

1. spend the time to learn, test and troubleshoot building your mesh to get these working reliably.
  2. get a different lock and move on. Your life and wife will have less strife. (Point is also valid if option 1 yield unsatisfactory results).

If these options don't work, and you REALLY need to keep this annoying device in your life...then maybe Hubitat is not for you.

All the energy spent speculating on why HE hasn't fixed this yet could be better spent on....anything else really.
This is my not so humble opinion. I think the horse was dead before this thread started beating it. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Yup... Time to accept that the XYZ doesn't work with HE. So.. replace XYZ or replace HE but the show is over the horse is now dog food!

4 Likes

If Schlage was truly willing to work with ST, Wink, Vera, and all these other platforms except for HE, whatever their reason may be, that should be a red flag to more users than just me.

"Build your mesh" when a user is coming from another platform with a fully functioning mesh already and suddenly has issues or "buy a new lock" aren't solutions they're dismissals. I could go out and buy 5 new zigbee locks at over $1,000 cost to me. But unfortunately it wouldn't stop there since my entire network is zwave. So then I need to get a hole bunch of zigbee repeating devices because there's no way I'm covering 5,000sq ft with 1 hub and 5 locks.

You talk about less strife, try explaining to the wife you need to go spend thousands to buy the exact same locks you already own that speak french instead of english and tell me how that conversation goes.

1 Like

I hear you. Not trying to convince you one way or the other. Just saying what I think is best...just an opinion. I've been here long enough and have seen these threads come and go...MANY times (ad nauseum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). The end result is the same.

Build mesh to support the lock (what I did initially and worked well on HE).
Buy different lock (zwave or zigbee or other).
Buy/use different hub that does not have this issue.

My locks are on Home Assistant now- guess what..they had problems with missed events and severe battery drain. I started with the process of trying to get them working...then realized I had already spent the time getting them going on HE...and decided it was just better to go with the zigbee version. BEST thing I could have done.
Not saying you should do the same but if this automation thing ever gets to a point of frustration that I can't buy my way out of....then I'm done with the whole endeavor. It's supposed to make life easier, not more stressful.

7 Likes

Loving it.

2 Likes

What worries me is people thinking they should be able to just rip and replace a hub for another hub and everything will work exactly as expected.
That has not been true for me with Wink 2, ST nor HE.

I'm a Smart Home novice, but I at least understood that each system has it's quirks and was willing to spend time to make each one work as I migrated and tried new things.

6 Likes

I've not talked to them, and right now dont really have the time to track this down with them.
If they contact us or me with the solution we'll implement it...

3 Likes

That's unfortunate. I was told by HE support that this was still being worked on but it really seems that at this point the best/most efficient solution is to work with Schlage directly to find out what they are doing with other hubs to make their locks work correctly. In my biased opinion locks should be a priority and time should be made to fix this issue but like I said, I'm biased and my biggest issue with Hubitat has been fighting with unreliable locks.

@mike.maxwell... My apologies for misquoting you. I thought I read in one of the recent posts that this was the case. Maybe someone else said something similar and I mistakenly attributed it to you. Again..apologies.

Schlage-Gate is schlaging my schlage. Can't seem to schlage right anymore. Schlage it!!

Edit:
After re-reading my post, I look forward to the responses to the last few sentences :rofl:. Schlage away folks.

4 Likes

The problem is that some of us did just that. I'm almost certain the BE468/469 was listed as supported in past (but now it is not?).

Anyways, I love the BE468 as a lock and have all matching hardware. Worked great with ST, hit or miss with HE. Don't want to swap it out with a Yale etc...

But i give up on HE fixing it. I'm switching over to the Zigbee version and hope for the best. You can get the Zigbee version used for under $100 with some cosmetic issues. I plan to just swap out the mainboard and call it a day.

Interesting, let us know how that goes (swapping the board and the reliability).
I've gotten my two Schlage's into a good state, but I also don't have a huge house.

I got the Zigbee version of the lock: BE468GBAK

First, you can easily just swap the in-house side of the lock in just a few seconds. Swapping the board was a silly idea. Everything mechanical is the same,.

However, I noticed that the outside keypad has been MUCH improved in the zigbee version. The keypads numbers are WHITE and much easier to see/use at night. So I went ahead and swapped out the outside part to. I got the zigbee lock for $100 from Amazon Warehouse.

Pairing was easy and it has worked GREAT so far. no issues at all setting lock codes and RM triggers.

I'll sell the Z-Wave version and hopefully recoup some of the cost. I have a strong Zigbee network and just a weaker Z-wave network. Never had problems with ST but whatever, the issues is solved and all i had to do was throw money at it.

2 Likes

That is awesome! Good to know if I have issues with mine going forward (they are in a happy place right now).

I too like the look and harware of these much better than the tale.

Woah, I never thought about searching Amazon Warehouse. That's insane!

MRobi, you should keep date and time in mind. Wink and Vera did this partnering over 5 years ago. At the time Schlage had the only lock worth two bits. 5 years later, any of the following could be true:

• Vera and Wink paid money up front that Hubitat doesn't see the value in as there's so much competition in the lock space now

• Maybe they didn't pay money, but Schlage wants money now

• Maybe Schlage has decided that they've finished their development phase and are just shipping the units as-is without partnerships/co-development

It wouldn't be the first time that one or both companies made decisions about where to put their time and money... and none of those would mean Schlage was making a value judgment about Hubitat. Partnering with Wink in 2014 when both companies were leaders in their space is a totally different choice than partnering with Hubitat when neither is a market leader in home automation space right now.

In fact, arguably the only difference might be that the last 5 years have shown us that "partnerships" don't have much meaning/value to a consumer in a standards-oriented market, whereas it was critical back when everything was bespoke.

Companies reposition themselves constantly. 5 years is a lifetime in marketing timelines.

1 Like

What did you search for to find the Zigbee version.

@endorphin_junkie actually in one of these 100's of Schlage threads here over the past month, the HE staff has said they hadn't even reached out to Schlage to attempt to fix it. So if the issue is really on the lock side (which I'm not convinced it is), the roadmap to success that everybody claims the other hubs took hasn't even been attempted. BUT, with that said, I've also more recently seen that some users are sending HE some Schlage locks with what's being dubbed as the "known bad firmware versions" so they can do some testing and hopefully find a fix.

So the Schlage locks are finally getting the attention they need and hopefully a fix will be out at some point in the next year :smiley: If that day ever comes, it will be the day I finally power down my ST hub.

Brian, read the part of post you quoted carefully... :laughing:

I did, but also see zwave models for that. My current style looks like the 2nd item here. Is the first model the one you got? Will it’s innards work on the 2nd style?