AerQ not updating temperature

I just got an Aeotec AerQ. All I want is something small to detect temperature changes when my fireplace is turned on, so I can set a rule to turn the A/C off in the house as the two conflict at certain times.

As you can see in the image below I have temperature reports set for anytime it changes 1 degree. I have made it change by as much as 30 degrees with no update. Unless I press the button on the sensor, then it updates.

What am I missing here? How do I get this sensor to update to Hubitat quickly.

If it matters the current firmware version is 2.03. Do I just need a different sensor? If so can someone recommend a small sensor like this that I can mount under my mantel to detect temperature changes please

What version of the device is it. They are known for reporting at limited intervals. Your screen shot shows 15 min intervals. Unfortunately this device is known to only report at most the frequency that it is set to. And Once you go above that interval it will then trigger based on the % change. Try setting the reporting interval to a lower level and see if that helps.

Is it a gas fireplace, or wood. I use a Zen17 that controls my gas fireplace. When I flip the switch it knows the fireplace is active and then it will tell my Ecobee thermostat to go into fireplace mode to prevent such conflicts.

It is a gas fireplace. Unfortunately the lowest refresh time allowed with the built in driver is 15 minutes. I am not smart enough to know how to rewrite the drivers to allow for it to be any quicker.

I thought with the temperature change part set to 1 degree it would update quickly, but I guess that is on the hubs side, not the sensors side. So the driver would need to ask for an update to know that it has changed, which won't happen but once every 15 minutes. I attached another screen shot so you can see the options

As for the fireplace. Yes it is a gas fireplace, and I am very unhappy about the purchase. Simply because it has a built in thermostat and no wiring options to install an external one. So I can't control it with my thermostat on the wall like I did my old one that wore out, so there is no wiring to connect to a Zen17 to tell it that the fireplace turned on.

So the next best thing I could think of was to have a temperature sensor and set a rule up that when the temperature rises above my other temperature sensors by a certain amount to turn my ecobee to heat only. But if it only refreshes every 15 minutes, that's a huge delay in changing modes.

That being said is there an option in the ecobee to specifically set it to fireplace mode? I just assummed I would have to make a rule to set the ecobee to heat only when the temp rises quickly, and then set it to auto when the temperature drops closer to outside temperature (since I monitor that too)

No that is just the parm in the Hub that tells the device how frequently to send updates to it. The hub doesn't reach out to the device. This is just one of those things that early on caused allot of headaches with these devices. There was a Firmware update at one point that addressed it though. So i would urge you to go to Aeotec's website and ensure you have the latest firmware. One thing though is i am not 100% sure it can take the heat though. Have you considered how hot the sensor will get when the fireplace is on for a time. Keep in mind it has a lithium io coin cell battery not sure how well that will deal with the heat.

The Zen17 also has the ability to use input devices like switches and such. You could get a temp sensor that is used for like the blower fans in the fireplaces and use that with a Zen17 to tell Hubitat the fireplace is on. There would be a little bit of overlap though since those temp sensors are generally just on/off and not a exact reading.

I use Ecobeee suite and created a Fireplace program in that suite. Then that program manages certain behaviors.

Can you scroll down to the bottom of the device page and provide a screenshot of the data section.

I plan on putting the sensor on the mantel above it, there is a decent amount of distance between the fireplace and the mantel ledge above it, so the heat is higher, but melt plastic high.

Here are the other two sections

That is the ZWA039 version, and it has the latest firmware, that should report quicker . I have the older ZWA009 version. I thought the newer hardware came with the ability to report more frequently already.

The new firmware for the ZWA009 calls out specifically changing the min reporting interval from from 15 to 4 min, but as i understood it that was already included in the new version of the product.

Here is the user guide for this device.

Based on that guide i think you need to get the device parm 3 to be updated to something below 15. Perhaps see if you can change it to something like 240 or something. It looks like parm 3 isn't even a option on mine. but that is how frequently it checks the temp/humidity to see if it has anything to send to the hub and if it does it will report then.

I believe there is a community driver or setting values zwave parms on devices. You will just need to change the device to that driver. Update the parm and then change it back to the built in driver.

There is info on the way to get and assign zwave parms

Any chance you could guide me on one more thing. I have been able to make the rule to set the thermostat to heat mode when the temperature sensor rises.

I am struggling with the rule for when the furnace is off.

What I want is to make a rule that when the fireplace sensor is within 5 degrees of the living room sensor it sets my thermostat mode back to auto mode.

I am struggling to figure out how to make the rule machine compare the two temperature sensors and give it a 5 degree plus or minus range from each other. Since the sensors are on opposite ends of the room they will never be EXACTLY the same. So I can't use the = option.

Any ideas?

What do you have for the rule already.

You can create conditions that do the comparison with against a device with offsets.

{"deviceReplacements":{"896":{"deviceName":"Virtual Temp","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Virtual Temperature Sensor","deviceTypeNamespace":"hubitat"},"900":{"deviceName":"Virtual Terhmostat","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Virtual Thermostat","deviceTypeNamespace":"hubitat"}},"appReplacements":{"983":{"appTypeName":"Rule-5.1","appTypeNamespace":"hubitat","appType":"sys","appName":"Rule-5.1","appLabel":"compare temp","parentAppInstalledAppId":"912","parentAppTypeName":"Rule Machine","parentAppTypeNamespace":"hubitat","parentAppName":"Rule Machine","parentAppLabel":"Rule Machine","childApps":{},"singleInstance":false}},"appData":{"983":{"state":{"parens":{"0":0,"1":0},"actionDone":true,"p.PB":true,"ndx":8,"dateFormat":"yyyy-MM-dd","clonedName":"compare temp","oldConst2":null,"tCustomAttrType.1":"NUMBER","selectActionsParams":{"label":"compare temp"},"editCondIf":null,"waitDone":{},"stopOnST":false,"usesTime":false,"inIf":null,"trigCustoms":["temperature"],"inUseTrigConds":[],"setDisabledActs":true,"capabDone":true,"predCapabs":[6],"locationBlocked":[],"pbFixed":true,"inRepIf":null,"p.896:temperature":65,"ruleNdx":2,"notEqual":true,"actionList":["3","4","5"],"firstR":{"0":false,"1":false},"timeHandlersUpdated":true,"actLabelIndent":"","unUsed":[],"prevStateUpdated":true,"varSettingsUpdated":true,"certainTimes":[],"disabledActions":[],"oldConst":null,"eval":{"0":[6],"1":[2,"AND",3]},"capabstrue":{"1":"Temperature of Virtual Temp(<span style='color:black'>65</span>) *changed* "},"lastEvtDate":"2023-10-31","parenLev":0,"unusedConds":["6"],"nestedInIf":[],"actions":{"3":{"wait":null,"delay":"","modes":{},"method":"getIfThen","indent":"","rule":1,"cond":0},"4":{"wait":null,"delay":"","modes":{},"method":"getSetThermostat","indent":"\\t","rule":null,"cond":0},"5":{"wait":null,"delay":"","modes":{},"method":"getEndIf","indent":"\\t","rule":null,"label":"END-IF","cond":null}},"usesDate":false,"actNdx":6,"lastEvtValue":0,"installed":true,"waitEvents":[],"private":true,"waitNdx":{},"isPredicate":false,"copyL":[],"simpleCond":false,"changedValues":true,"nestedRepIf":[],"lastEvtTime":"09:06","condOper":"cond","nestedElse":[null],"hasPredicate":true,"varTriggersFixed":true,"setCopyActs":true,"needWaitCancel":false,"cutAction":[],"broken":false,"stopped":false,"rulesList":[],"hasPrev":["896:temperature"],"nestedLabel":[],"oldInputAct":true,"stateVarsUpdated":true,"waitCondNdx":1,"token":1,"capabsfalse":{"2":"Temperature of Virtual Temp(<span style='color:black'>65</span>) is > Virtual Terhmostat(<span style='color:black'>68.0</span>)-5.0","3":"Temperature of Virtual Temp(<span style='color:black'>65</span>) is < Virtual Terhmostat(<span style='color:black'>68.0</span>) +5.0","6":"<b>NOT</b> Thermostat mode of Virtual Terhmostat auto"},"stPrimed":true,"allLocalVars":{},"varSettingsOld":{},"timeFormat":"hh:mm","doActN":"N","olddValues":true,"inUseConds":["6","2","3"],"needWaitDone":false},"appSettings":[{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cut1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"uVar3.4","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoSetCool.4","type":"decimal","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"chkBox1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"I1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"chkBox2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"I2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"butEndIf","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"chkBox3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"I3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoSetHeat.4","type":"decimal","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"chkBox4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"I4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"varType","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"tstate1","type":"text","value":"*changed*"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actSubType.3","type":"enum","value":"getIfThen"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actSubType.4","type":"enum","value":"getSetThermostat"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"butElse","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cut4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cut2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cut3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"editToken","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"uVar.4","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"hbVar","type":"text","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.0.false","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"insertToken1","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"lvTable","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"xVar4.1","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoMode.4","type":"enum","value":"auto"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoAdjHeat.4","type":"decimal","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actType.3","type":"enum","value":"condActs"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"logging","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"editCond","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actType.4","type":"enum","value":"lockActs"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"delayAct.4","type":"enum","value":"none"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"updateRule","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"hasRule","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"896":"Virtual Temp"},"multiple":true,"name":"rDev_2","type":"capability.temperatureMeasurement","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancelGV","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"896":"Virtual Temp"},"multiple":true,"name":"rDev_3","type":"capability.temperatureMeasurement","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disableL","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"uVar2.4","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"3.0.true","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"900":"Virtual Terhmostat"},"multiple":true,"name":"rDev_6","type":"capability.thermostat","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"N","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancelDel","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoFan.4","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.0.false","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"pointless","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disable4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disable2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disable3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disable1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"moreVar","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cutX","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"xVar3.1","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"tCapab1","type":"enum","value":"Temperature"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"tCapab2","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actionDone","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"isVar_3","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"isVar_2","type":"bool","value":"false"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"valNumber.1","type":"number","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"not2","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"useST","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"editPV","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"dValues","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"hasAll","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancelCapab","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"RelrDev_3","type":"enum","value":"<"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"delConfirm","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"xVarR_2","type":"enum","value":"hvacMin"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"origLabel","type":"text","value":"compare temp"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"ReltDev1","type":"enum","value":"*changed*"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"valConst.1","type":"number","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"RelrDev_2","type":"enum","value":">"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"eraseRule","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"thermoAdjCool.4","type":"decimal","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"delete","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"uVar4.4","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"copyL","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"trashAll","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"896":"Virtual Temp"},"multiple":true,"name":"tDev1","type":"capability.temperatureMeasurement","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actionCancel","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"comments","type":"textarea","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"state_6","type":"enum","value":"auto"},{"deviceList":{"900":"Virtual Terhmostat"},"multiple":false,"name":"relDevice_3","type":"capability.temperatureMeasurement","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancelBtn","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"900":"Virtual Terhmostat"},"multiple":false,"name":"relDevice_2","type":"capability.temperatureMeasurement","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"isDev_3","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"isDev_2","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":{"900":"Virtual Terhmostat"},"multiple":true,"name":"thermo.4","type":"capability.thermostat","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"hvacMin","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"state_3","type":"decimal","value":"5"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"state_2","type":"decimal","value":"-5"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"doneToken","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"rCapab_3","type":"enum","value":"Temperature"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"not6","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"rCapab_2","type":"enum","value":"Temperature"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"not3","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"4.0.false","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"hvacMax","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"rCapab_6","type":"enum","value":"Thermostat mode"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"deleteToken1","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"stopOnST","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancelST","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"editST","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"doneST","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"evalOnBoot","type":"bool","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"actSubType.5","type":"enum","value":"getEndIf"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"I5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"chkBox5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cut5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"disable5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"5.0.false","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"runAction","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"pausRule","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"stopRule","type":"button","value":""}],"subscriptions":[{"handler":"stHandler","name":"thermostatMode","type":"DEVICE","typeId":900,"typeName":"Virtual Terhmostat","filter":"true"},{"handler":"allHandler","name":"temperature","type":"DEVICE","typeId":896,"typeName":"Virtual Temp","filter":"true"}]}}}

I made new rules last night based on the example you gave.

My concern was that if I put the conditions in one rule it would never be true and therefore never happen. So I made two separate rules. It seems to have worked so far.

That being said if you have any suggestions on how to make one rule that is simpler I would be open to that.

This is why I like being able to know the exact state of the fireplace vs trying to use a sensor to detect it.

Your Temps when you start the fireplace will likely always be within 10 degrees of your thermostat. That may cause you problems. What are you using to tell your thermostat to not be in Auto Mode. Is it just that sensor going up.

The way your Rules are that you created they will not be checking any conditions. Right now you have the condition configured but isn't used to validate the action. That is what the If Then statement in my example is. Right now they both will execute when the temp drops on that sensor.

If you add the conditions thinking about the logic by saying it out loud. R1 says: When the temp decreases and is less then 68 then turn the thermostat to Auto. R2 says : When the temp decreases and is greater then 68+5 set it to Auto. Based on those rules. I don't think that is anything like what you asked for. So i guess one question is do you want it to act when the temp is within a 5 degree variance from your thermostate, or do you want it to act when it is outside of that 5 degree variance.

I would suggested the required expression as well so you are not sending auto commands when it is already set that way.

Thank you again for being so helpful. I feel like I am struggling to understand the language of the rule machine. So really thank you!

What I am using (since I can't see the fireplace directly like you and I both want) is a stand alone temperature sensor on the mantle above the fireplace. Then I have another sensor on the opposite side of the room and I also have signed up to have the local weather information populated through openweatherapp

I have found anytime the fireplace is on there is no less than a 15 degree variance between the living room and fireplace sensor. Typically over 20 degrees difference. So I made a rule that anytime the fireplace sensor reads more than the living room sensor by at least 10 degrees and the outside temperature is less than 76 degrees then the rule will set the thermostat to heat mode. (I've attached a picture of that rule below)

My goal is to have a rule that when the fireplace and living room sensors are within 5 degrees of each other that the thermostat will get set back to auto mode. Regardless of outside temperature. The theory is that if the two sensors are that close together in temperature for sure the fireplace is off. Even when it cycles off and on that sensor never gets close to the living room temperature unless the fireplace is off for a little while

So really what I want is to find a way to make a rule that simply has the trigger as fireplace temperature is equal to or within 5 degrees of living room temperature. I am just struggling to figure out the best way to make that happen. Simply because I know the two sensors will never be exactly the same I can't use just = or the event will never trigger.

I was thinking that by using a trigger of fireplace temperature sensors has dropped and then a condition of the sensor being greater than or = to the living room sensors with a 5 degree offset would make the system see yes the temperature dropped, and then confirm that it has dropped enough to be within 5 degrees of the living room sensor.

Then I made a completely separate rule that is almost identical, except now the condition is that the fireplace temperature sensor is less than or equal to the living room sensor with a 5 degree offset.

If there is a better, simpler, smarter, or anything else for that matter way to achieve this I would like some clear guidance on how to do it. Again I feel like maybe I misunderstand the logic behind the rule machine.

forgot the screen shot I mentioned