Aeotec Recessed door sensor 7

Mine saw 1 event after I did yesterday’s update and replaced the battery. The door has been opened / closed 100 times, the sensor has been “woken up” manually many times to see if it’s magically corrected. What I do know is the door sensor keeps routing through a device the opposite end of the house vice the plugged in device 6 feet away. At 40k it seems to register, at 9.6K routed nada.

I blame zwave event de-dupe that id new in 2.2.4. Based on exactly no data whatsoever.

Updated to 2.2.4.141 upon selecting save device I received this error message:

On 2.2.4.143.

Using SmartStart or joining with S2 results in the sensor reporting a single Close event the first time it is closed and then nothing.

I did the exclude, factory reset, join with all security options unchecked. Now it works great.

1 Like

Ditto! With FW 2.2.4.143, smart start, or S2 , the sensor captures the first close event, then nothing after that... :sob: All I am getting are the normal battery readings... So I know it's talking.

Edit: If I reboot the hub, it will catch the first open or close event. Then nothing else. So it's almost there????

S0 worked for me! Runs perfect thank you

My understanding is that you should avoid S0 if you can as it's very "chatty" and therefore more resource intensive.. use unauthenticated if possible. That's what I'm doing - I just put in an A7 yesterday. Everyone's use-case is different though.

1 Like

Ah, I may go ahead and change that then. Anything to save on processing power and battery life even if it has an 700 chip.

Either S2 or unauthenticated. Some have been successfully running with whatever defaults pop up during inclusion. With the firmware growing pains and the new platform I decided to keep things as simple as possible so went with unauthenticated for most of my devices. I do have an Aeotec Extender 7 and a Ring G2 Security Extender that are paired S2 but thats it.

1 Like

I was thinking about picking some of these up. Are they still having problems?

I tried to install two new units yesterday with the latest Hubitat firmware installed, and I had the same issue others described above. I had to exclude them, factory reset, and add them back without S2 in order to get them to properly report open/close events.

Hoping for a firmware update from aeotec, but I just ordered two for my gates. Will pair them unsecured until something changes.

You know they released a firmware update for the recessed door sensor recently. There’s a thread for it.

device firmware? or hub firmware. Last i saw, the device firmware (on the Aeotec V7) was botched for S2 and no amount of code on hubitats side will fix that. I believe bryan was reaching out to Aeotec to notify them of the issue, so they can fix it.

1 Like

Sorry was on IPad so couldn’t find the link quick enough. See post from @JasonJoel

1 Like

Well thank you all! hard to keep track. there were so many threads on the topic.

They are fine now (I have 3 that are now working perfectly and that have updated firmware), but the firmware update process is a bit tricky. You can either read the entire thread that I started in frustration, or you can take the TL;DR approach and skip to my post here at the end where I explain all the nuances of getting it to work.

Note that the firmware file name at the upthread link posted by Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel) won’t be accepted by the device because it has spaces in the name. You will need to replace the spaces with underlines or hyphens after you download the firmware from Aeotec, before you upload it to the Device Firmware Updater app.

Oh, and, after the update, I had to exclude, reset, and re-include them before the driver reported the new firmware update version.

2 Likes

What is the general belief about these devices right now. I am replacing all of my ST/ADT Dual branded stuff right now and like the idea of replacing the ones on my doors with these. Do they appear to have stabilized and are working well now. With the latest firmwares on both sides?

It really comes down to should i just get 4 more ring Door/Window sensors or get these to complete my perimeter setup.

I have 8 of the Recessed 6's and really like them. I know your question is about the 7 and I'm curious about the answer too.. since I don't have a series 7 yet.

They've been great for me and although I have no more doors to monitor, if I had to do it again I'd pick a different installation spot. I chose the hinge side of the door, This is the least moving part of the door & frame and thus the magnet's strength makes more difference than I would like. In other words: the door has to open further and doesn't have to be fully closed to get open/closed Events.

The normal placement of non-recessed sensors tends to be on the side opposite the hinge and at the top. To indicate closed, the magnet has to be closer than the door's thickness... meaning the door has to be much closer to really, fully closed. I'd recommend that placement for the recessed too. :slight_smile:

Also, they are friction fit, but with changing temps month to month, it can sometimes be tricky to get them out to change batteries. I've been lucky with my poor 3/4" drilling skills such that the wobble creates a hole with just that extra room to allow me to remove the sensor and change the battery even when the wood frame is tightest. Had I installed the recessed sensor into the top of the door, letting gravity assist with the retention, I'd have been happier all around. I would have added a dab of glue to the magnet to more permanently fix it into the frame above the door, to fight gravity. :slight_smile: