Aeotec Recessed door sensor 7

I have 4 of them on my C-7, 2.2.5.131. They work fine, but I have them paired no security. Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) found a bug a couple of months ago that prevented S2 security from working, and Aeotec released a fix. While I did update all of mine with the firmware update, I don’t know if they work if paired S2.

I have 7 them installed now. I was able to get the firmware updated and get them all connected through S2 security. Besides one sensor that was draining batteries very fast (two weeks from new to dead) and was subsequently replaced by Aeotec (solid customer service), they've all been working great. The firmware update process was a little finicky to start, but once I got the process down, I was able to get the units updated without too much hassle. In a couple instances, I needed to sand down my doors a tiny bit to ensure the units did not interfere with closing the doors. All in all, I'm now very happy.

1 Like

this is very helpful information for me since i am still in the planning phase, especially regarding placement of the sensor. thanks.

Good to know. i have burned through batteries on 2 of them twice. I replaced monoprice ones that worked great, but wanted to get rid of s0.

By chance we you did the install did you use any kind of jig or something to create the hole in the door for the sensor and magnet. I have been looking for a Door jig but it looks like most I have found use a 1" hole saw instead of 3/4".

Milwaukee 3/4 in. x 4.5 in. Flat Boring Bit

See this on Homedepot.com

OMSID#: 305537285

I usually make a small starter hole with an awl.

yea, that Flat Bit is what I used. Which is why it wobbles, and gives me the perfect oversize LOL

or a Forstner bit... for a no wobble hole:

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-1966898-Drilling-Forstner/dp/B01JIK93PK

2 Likes

Now that Forstner bit is a nice drill bit. Wish I had seen that first.

I've been using this bit, and it's been working well for me:

IRWIN SPEEDBOR Drill Bit, Self Feeding, Spade, 3/4-Inch x 6-Inch (3041004)
by Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQCNZI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_AM8TYDFGY8QFAF2ANTW5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I just bought a couple of these and installed them last night, and am having the issue with hubitat not seeing events. I have tried updating the firmware to 1.05 using Hubitat's device firmware updater app, but after it gets done with the update the device page still shows that the device is running v1.04. Grr

Try saving the device.. that usually gets the correct fw to show up for me. Note: your device is probably updated the UI is just not showing it.

1 Like

And/or reboot the hub so that it has to get all the info again. I seem to recall this same issue when I updated the firmware on my Aeotec recessed door sensor 7 devices.

1 Like

I've saved, ran configure, rebooted hub, but no luck. It still shows v1.04 as the FW version on both of the 2 sensors I've updated.

That is very strange, maybe try clearing the cache on your browser (I know not likely) or try a different browser just to test.

If you go to update the firmware for that device again does it show the most recent or the old firmware? If it shows the old then the update never took.

Another thing to do is briefly cut power to the switch..

1 Like

I’m having a nightmare with this device. The firmware won’t update and the battery lasts only a month now :sob: for a gen7 device it’s pretty poor. Has anyone got any advice or tips?

I just checked one of mine - my battery level does not seem to be reporting - stuck on 100%... mmmmm... there does seem to be a firmware update to 1.05.

None of my 3 sensors are reporting battery levels - all of them at 100%. I have them paired with no security and using the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 series driver...

One of my sensors does have the latest firmware but that did not make a difference. I may try and pair with security for giggles.

Everything works except battery levels and I haven't had to replace mine in a little while but cannot say for sure what kind of drain there is.

I mean I guess it's possible that there is only a little drain but one door gets used very frequently so I would expect at least some battery usage...

The only events I see aside from open/closed events are battery reporting 100% ...

I too have had battery reporting issues with these door sensors. All 7 of my units report 100%, but they clearly can't be at 100% as they've been installed for months. I recently had two units stop reporting events without triggering a battery warning. When I used a multimeter to test the batteries, they were completely drained. Given that these units sometimes burn through batteries fast, I would really like to get an accurate battery level. All of my units are running firmware 1.05 and S2 security. Are anyone's units reporting correctly to Hubitat?

2 Likes

I’m also having this issue. Just noticed 2 of them died while reporting 100%. Also on 1.05 and S2.

I hate to revive a dead thread, but not sure it warrants creating a new one either. How are these devices working for folks now that there have been a few platform updates, and it looks like maybe a few Firmware updates from Aeotec? I'm thinking of getting one, but not crazy about it if it starts to cause major issues. I'm hoping maybe most of the bugs have been successfully squashed?