Aeotec Pairing Issues - What are some helpful tips?

Okay, guys. Time to slow down for the noob. :grinning:

Are you saying that if I can't get this WallMote paired that I should buy and use this stick?

Also, after the WallMote pairs to the stick, do I have to keep the stick plugged into a USB port on an internet-connected computer? ...or could I somehow use the stick to associate the WallMote with the Hubitat HUB?

Next question: You are mentioning the adjustment of security settings prior to inclusion. Are those settings found somewhere in the Hubitat software, or are you referring to security adjustments on the Aeotec hardware? Thank you for your patience with me.

Edit: Also, this is a screenshot of where the Inclusion process gets stuck.

If you have an S2 device then a security window will popup asking you what type of security you want. If you uncheck all the boxes it will pair with no security. You don't have popups blocked in your browser for the HE UI do you?

If you do not have an S2 device and it does not have S0 security capability then it should just pair normally with no security and no popup.

IF you have a non-S2 device that has S0 security then per the 700 series Z-Wave chipset spec it will force include as S0. Some devices like the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 5 don't like being told what to do and start to flake out. Also S0 security is extremely chatty so only recommended if you have to use it for things like locks.

In order to work around the forced S0 problem you have to use something called a secondary controller like the Aeotec Z-Stick+ OR UZB-7 (cheaper, no internal battery). You pair this device to your HE as normal - it will show up as a generic "device" and you are done on the HE side. Next run the PC Z-Wave Controller software on your Windows machine that has the USB stick in it (search the community for info on this!). From there you can do a lot of different things like include the problematic devices with no security / remove ghosts / update firmware etc. very handy.

Once done you can either leave it paired with HE but make sure the stick remains in a powered USB slot (no computer necessary) somewhere OR exclude it in the usual way - you'd hit remove in HE and put the device in exclude mode via the Controller app.

Note: you can only include devices with no security or S0 security NOT S2 due to the nature of how the S2 encryption is handled.

Hope this helps...

2 Likes

You're right of course. :grinning:

You can pair the WallMote without security by clicking the action button only one time.
Clicking two times will initiate S0 inclusion.
Maybe try the following:

• shutdown the hub
  • unplug power and wait about one minute before plugging in again
  • exclude the WallMote and do a factory reset
  • include without security, keeping the device about 30cm away from the hub

Also let the hub take some breath after each step. :wink:

1 Like

This wll not work on a C-7. It will always appear to include as S0 even if you only tap once..this is the issue unfortunately. At least thats what happens with my Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen 5s.

1 Like

Click to open, I have a C7. :wink:

Summary

I can tell it works with the WallMote, Multisensor6 and D/W Sensor 6.

2 Likes

Hmmmm thats good to know!! I'm trying to remember if I had to pair my MS6's via the secondary - I do not remember so probably not if you've the same experience.

My Aeotec Gen5 I absolutely did though. It would pair and then stop working.

Here is a good discussion on the subject:

Now I'm a little confused (my normal state) - I thought all Non-S2 devices with S0 capability would be forced paired as such. I guess it's only certain devices that do this?

So those devices are mostly S2 compatible devices so can be included with no security:

Not sure why the MS6's work unless they do not include S0 security.

Oh, wow.! I didn't realize that there was a second-generation Hubitat HUB (this S2 device you mentioned). I now wonder if I should back up my configuration and upgrade.

I'll check to see what version I have when I get home and then I'll check into the pop-up blocking.

Then I'll try the steps Mr. Olsen has laid out. If I cannot get that to work, I'll get the Aeotec USB stick on order. I have so much to learn and I feel that I have barely started!

1 Like

The Hubitat C-7 Hub has the latest Z-wave radio chipset - the 700 series which promises a bunch of new capabilities including lower power / longer range etc. I think it's one of the few hubs out (maybe the only one) with this newer tech. It can handle S2 authentication where the older hubs (C-3 through C-5) the option was not enabled.

The newest devices coming out also have this chip in it as well. Current devices with the 500 series can be S2 enabled or not. The older 300 series are "Z-Wave" not "Z-Wave+" and are not recommended.

1 Like

If a device has the option to include unsecurely, the hub won't even know about it's S0 capability.
I think the Silabs regulation says that you are not allowed to uncheck the S0 box when including to a ZW700 gateway.

Yep, found this very instructive, too.

I assume it's the manufacturer's choice which security command class would be sent during inclusion. Just guessing.

S2 is just the security level, read about here if you are curious:

Summary

Z-Wave - Wikipedia

S0 security is said to be chatty, so it should be avoided whenever possible.

1 Like

So if it responds with the maximum security allowed like S0 then the C-7 will include it as such regardless - no way to negotiate down from there unlike S2 authentication.

With my Aeotec door sensors I purposefully tapped once indicating a request for pairing with no security but S0 was set anyway.

Does not explain the MS6's behavior though unless something in the device firmware prevents S0 class from being sent for some reason. Wouldn't that be out of spec for that device? I have a spare MS6 and now want to test this..

Maybe it simply won't support unsecure inclusion?
Have some Fibaro Motion Sensors that can only included using S0.

Maybe there's a difference between the US and EU model?

Think so, too. Let me know about the results.

1 Like

The instructions specifically mention "one tap" for no security, "two taps" for S0 which seems to be a common Aeotec procedure with their older devices - the ones with security.

Yeah I was wondering about that..

Will do!!

It just occurred to me - are you using your MS6s with battery power or USB? Mine are all USB and the latest firmware.

Really strange. Mine are all USB-powered, too.
But when I included them, they had an older firmware version, I think it was 1.11, so maybe that could also be the point?

I just paired an MS6 and it worked exactly as you stated. Now I am trying to pair WITH security to see what happens.

I don't seem to be able to pair with S0 security on the MS6 which would explain why there is no issue. interesting. I may need to revisit the manual - "RTFM" - "Read The FINE Manual" as they say.

1 Like

So still having difficulty pairing as S0 with the MS6 - even tried to pair it secured on my C-5 and could not. I am following the instructions in the manual. It would appear that the MS6 operates out of spec with regards to security classes reporting I guess.

At any rate that means that the non-S2 MS6 can pair without causing the forced S0 security issue which is good to know. I've had other problems with poor repeating performance etc so have reduced my usage of them anyway.

I am running a C7 on 2.2.6.137.

I wanted to try this app, but can't seem to get it to run. I copied the url:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TonyFleisher/tonyfleisher-hubitat/beta/Apps/mesh-details/mesh-details.groovy

then went to the Apps Code in the Developer section. I then did an import and saved it. I can see it in the Apps Code section, but it isn't appearing in the "normal" apps section.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.