Aeotec Pairing Issues - What are some helpful tips?

Hello everyone,

I have been pairing several Aeotec devices and I have had a lot of mixed success. The devices will "seem to join" the Z-wave network, but then the Hubitat add device screen will not seem to update (I am not allowed to name or label the device that was "found"). The "paired" devices do not appear on the Devices screen in the long list of devices that are already on my network.

The Aeotec devices behave like they have been paired, so I have to go through the exclusion process before I try again. Are there some tips you can provide or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

What are your devices? Are they the newer "7" series or the older ones?

For older series likely it is force pairing with S0 security which can be a problem as more devices can slow down your network by being too chatty. The only way to really handle that is to use a secondary controller.

For newer 7 devices when you pair sometimes it won't complete right away. Did you check out the "Z-Wave Details Page"? Usually the device will show up down at the bottom but the entry will be blank. You can click "discover" then "refresh" and "repair" or some combination of those (I like to click repair a few times) and hopefully the device type will show up.

1 Like

Most of the trouble I am seeing is coming from the newer 7 Series devices. The problem causing devices have been the Aeotec NanoMote (I have three) and the Aeotec WallMote.

[Interestingly the Aeotec Range Extender 7 paired immediately and were very straightforward.]

I did not check the details page. Thanks for that info. I am going to give your ideas a try and see if I can get the device to finally populate its details.

Okay cool - one thing the NanoMote and WallMotes do not have the 700 series chip in them - they are S2 compatible though. Have you tried to pair them without security? I'm not entirely sure you can do that with those without using a secondary controller.

1 Like

I was finally able to get the NanoMotes paired (all three of them), but it took several dozen tries. Since I did not notice a pattern, so I was wondering what I may be doing wrong. I hoped that persistence would pay off with the WallMote, but it just never connected.

Last night, however, I tried to pair the WallMote about 20 times and couldn't do it. I went through a bunch of Inclusion and Exclusion cycles. The data just never populated.

Out of curiosity what security did you pair them as? S2? You can verify on the Z-Wave details page.

I have 2 WallMotes, both included fine at first try without security and work great using the HE drivers.

1 Like

I only had issues with my Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 5's which force paired to S0 until I re-paired using a secondary controller.

Today I paired a repeater 7 using the default S2 security and goofed on the pin - it paired as unsecured but only showed up on the Z-Wave details page until I did the /discover/repair/refresh thing. I ended up excluding and including again and that worked fine - device was recognized properly etc.

There seem to be many people having issues with this device. Think I can remember there's a firmware update for it?
My Repeater 7 included without any problems using S2_UNAUTHENTICATED security.
Only the D/W Sensor 7 was a little tricky to include, seems like distance to the hub matters a lot.
If too close or too far, inclusion failed. Found that one wavelength away from the hub succeeded mostly.
For my EU device it is about 30cm.

1 Like

With the 5 you can set the pairing mode to either be unsecured (one press of the internal button) or S0 secured (2 presses). No matter what you do however HE will force the device to be paired "S0" - this is per the 700 series chipset spec and not an HE bug. If forced to "S0" the device does not work properly or at all. The only way around this is to pair the devices with no security using a secondary controller like a UZB-7 or Aeotec Z-Stick and the Z-Wave PC Controller software from Silicon Labs.

1 Like

I often wondered if a device that was included with a secondary controller will work with HE.
Does it?

Yes absolutely in fact that's how you get around the S0 issue. The only thing you can't do is pair devices with S2 security. Something about the security not being able to transfer between the secondary and primary controllers.

1 Like

Which version of the Z-Stick do you use?

I have several because I am insane apparently..

• The Aeotec Z-Stick+ is nice because it has an internal battery and you can use it to exclude/include things remotely but it's a bit more expensive.
  • UZB-7 from Silicon Labs which is their reference stick for the 700 series. very inexpensive at least in the US.
  • UZB-3 which I've used for "zniffing" (search the forums about this, very interesting).

I understand there is also a Zooz 7 Series Stick which is probably very good as well.

1 Like

LOL!
One more question, do you have a Windows PC up and running all the time or will you deactivate the stick while not in use?
No Zooz devices available in Germany, but I really like the Aeotec stuff, so maybe I will get my hands on one of their sticks.
Will it be possible to include without security using the ZW700 Stick or do I need a ZW500?

I have my UZB-7 paired to my hub and connected to my Windows 10 laptop when I am home. When I am away I plug it into a powered USB port of my Linux Desktop. It stays connected to my hub that way. I take the Aeotec Z-Stick+ with me when working with my residential clients. I include and exclude the stick on their hubs as necessary.

Either stick will pair devices with no security.

1 Like

Thanks! So I will look out for a ZW700.
Have some S0 included devices I would like to get re-included without security.

I recently paired 3 Aeotec Range Extender 7s with security set to NONE , and they all paired ok with no problems....C7 with 2.2.4.158

Now if I can only get them to talk to my other devices. The other devices don't seem to like them :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, mine seems to be completely ignored by other devices too, no matter if included with S2 or unsecure and also wherever I place it.
The Heatit Extender seems to be more attractive to other nodes.

Okay, guys. Time to slow down for the noob. :grinning:

Are you saying that if I can't get this WallMote paired that I should buy and use this stick?

Also, after the WallMote pairs to the stick, do I have to keep the stick plugged into a USB port on an internet-connected computer? ...or could I somehow use the stick to associate the WallMote with the Hubitat HUB?

Next question: You are mentioning the adjustment of security settings prior to inclusion. Are those settings found somewhere in the Hubitat software, or are you referring to security adjustments on the Aeotec hardware? Thank you for your patience with me.

Edit: Also, this is a screenshot of where the Inclusion process gets stuck.