Aeotec Multisensor 6

hi there @csteele, you overestimate my desire to complicate something that was designed to reduce complexity (i.e. HPM) :laughing: ...nah didn't add it manually.
also, the @bcopeland driver does indeed seem to be different now that i installed his HPM packaged driver, not sure what his driver gives me that the built-in one doesn't?

EDIT: i think syepes' driver was the first reliable one i found, so i've just been using it all this time without giving it another thought. i might just stick with the built-in driver unless Bryan can share a benefit or two of his?

@csteele apologies if this is buried in this or other threads, but is there any way to leverage the same mechanism that reports firmware version in your DTH to also report the current settings from the device's perspective?

Example, I set motion timeout to 30 seconds. I click save... no dice. I try waking the device with push button. Nope, still resets after 60 seconds. Hit configure, push button in various combinations... nope. Pull batteries completely, hit configure, refresh, and refresh web page, then boom, I start seeing new settings in action.

Not sure how possible, but would be slick to see real-time settings instead of just what the DTH 'wants' them to be. Anyhow, great work everyone that has contributed to this one!

Hi @csteele, I'm not sure if you know (or if this matters), but there's a typo in the import URL:

The "S" in sensor needs to be capitalised, otherwise it throws a 404:

1 Like

I guess most are using HPM.

Source has been updated.

Wow okay I didn't even know it was on HPM. Just ran a match up lol

1 Like

Aeotec says older devices (that shipped with firmware <= 1.08) cannot be upgraded past 1.08.
Support told me:

V1.08 is the latest firmware version of the older MultiSensor 6. The manufacturing chip is changed in V1.09 and later which is why you cannot update the older sensor.

@csteele your driver has the warning if the firmware is < 1.10. But only 1 thing in the code references this ("Disable When Motion (Aeon v1.10 only)"). Otherwise, your driver seems to work. Should I not use it?

(I actually switched to it because the built-in driver didn't tell me the firmware version, and I wanted to know)

You can use it, :slight_smile: but refrain from selecting that option :slight_smile: We're stuck with LED on when motion.

1 Like

Anyone had the issue of it just falling off the network. I am having an absolute nightmare with it. It pairs, works fine for around 5 hours then just stops :sob:

Not me. I have 12 of them and none have ever just dropped off the network... even while their battery is dead. The moment I replace the battery, even after a month, they are functional on my mesh (network) almost instantly.

2 Likes

What's your firmware? Is it battery or usb powered?

I have had the same experience as @csteele - no dropoffs when I had a bunch of them. Now have only 2 left and they have still been good - even the one in my detached garage which is the farthest device in my network from my hub. Have had other issues in the past like poor routing though.

1 Like

I am running 1.15 on usb power, never had batteries in it. It finds the device but then under security has none? Does it route through other devices if it is usb power or does it route like any other device? It is less than 10 meters from the hub but does go though two brick walls?

Edit - There is a Fibaro input next to it which is supposed to repeat but the sensor just doesn’t want to route through it? Do wired Z-wave devices not repeat through other devices?

Same - mine are usb powered as well.

I've given up trying to figure out routing + EM propagation patterns of Z-Wave devices it is a mystery. Brick walls are probably not that great though.. Do you have any repeaters anywhere in between - in the ceiling or maybe between the 2 brick walls?

1 Like

Posted too soon - yes wired devices are supposed to route but maybe the Fibaro is trying to route through it.. do you have anything closer to the hub?

1 Like

Deleted my double reply sorry! Nothing between the Hub and Fibaro which is a clear line of sight less than 10 meters :man_shrugging:

The thing to try is unpair the MS6, reboot your hub by shutting down and pulling the plug for 20 secs or so then starting up. After that factory reset the MS6 by holding down the button in the back until it flashes rapid red then finally green and let go. After that you should get rainbow pattern.. temporarily bring the ms6 close to the hub to pair (single press of the button in the back) and once paired, put it back in the original position and see how it goes..

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, will give this a go tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully this will do the trick!

1 Like

Let us know what happens or if you need additional ideas etc..

1 Like

Amazing thank you :pray:

1 Like

If you pair the MS6 while on batteries, it'll retain those settings even if you continue to run it on USB power. They are reportedly poor repeaters, and pretty talkitive in USB mode. I've paired all three of mine on battery and I'm much happier with them operating that way.

1 Like

I was considering converting one of mine (its my last very device on SmartThings) from batteries to USB to turn it into a repeater, but based upon that comment, I guess I won't.