Aeotec Multisensor 6

Makes sense now - the sensor is in a fairly high traffic area and that would explain why the tamper is cleared after different (at what appeared to be random) intervals.

Hi all,
I'm having a few issues with my zwave mesh (every device stops responding about twice a day and they only start responding when I shutdown and restart HE), and today I noticed the below error in my Logs on my Aeotec MS6 which uses the built in driver at exactly the same time as all my zwave devices stopped responding. Does anybody know what the below error could imply (and how I could fix it)?

errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'null' with class 'null' to class 'short'. Try 'java.lang.Short' instead (parse)

Two thoughts...

1. The error will simply halt the program execution at that point. Effectively ignoring the fact it got a message.

2. It will not crash the hub. These errors occur in Development every day, and don't impact the hub. The hub just moves on to the next message/Event.

The built-in drivers are all supported by Hubitat and I'd suggest entering a Ticket at support@hubitat.com There's no enough detail to troubleshoot from one line, but the ticket process should allow you to give plenty. And really, there seems to be TWO problems, the Cast exception and the "stops responding" -- the 2nd is much much more critical. :slight_smile:

I'm having an issue with the Aeotec M6. It is reporting a consistent crazy value for temperature (-3276.8) and humidity (-1).

See screenshot below.

This happens several times a day and something several times an hour. When this happens, it triggers my heater to come which is expensive and troublesome in South Florida.

Any thoughts on what is happening?

I'm using v2.0.0 of Csteele's driver.

@csteele Do you think it is possible to filter out these crazy values at the driver level? Maybe via a parameter where the user defines an acceptable range of values for each sensor and values outside of that range are ignored?

did you try updating Aeotec Multisensor 6 to the latest firmware version 1.13?

Yes.

Things seem good so far. I'll keep you posted.

I updated the driver and the problem continues.

Did you update the firmware?
Which firmware are you running?

That was a typo. I meant to say I updated the firm to 1.13 and the problem continues.

P.S.
Thank you for showing me how to update firmware OTA!!!

NP
I would power cycle the sensor after updating the firmware just to be sure.

I have 3 Aeotec Multisensor 6 sensors.
So far I only have seen one of the sensors read slightly high (28 Celsius/82 Fahrenheit) but I was not home at the time to check if it was legit or not. It is in a bathroom with a steam shower.
I created a RM rule to notify me if any of my sensors exceeds a set temp.

Also are your sensors battery powered or plugged in? (if battery maybe try a new battery)
Mine are all plugged in.

My sensor is plugged in.

When you updated the firmware did you exclude and reinclude? You might have to do that if not.

only other suggestion is to preform a reset or health check as per the manual

Testing Health Connectivity.

Note - Health test does not test for routing communication health, only tests for direct communication with your gateway to determine if it has a healthy direct connection.

You can determine the health of your MultiSensor 6s connectivity to your gateway using a manual button press, hold, and release function which is indicated by the LED color.

1. Press and hold MultiSensor 6 Action button

2. Wait until the RGB LED turns into a Purple Color

3. Release MultiSensor 6 Action Button

The RGB LED will blink its Purple color while sending ping messages to your gateway, when it has finished, it will blink 1 of 3 colors:

Red = Bad Health

Yellow = Moderate Health

Green = Great Health

Be sure to watch for the blink, as it will only blink once very quickly.

Manually Factory Reset MultiSensor 6.

This method is not fully advised unless your gateway has failed, and you do not yet have another gateway to perform a general unpair on MultiSensor 6.

1. Press and hold MultiSensor 6 Action button

2. Wait until the RGB LED turns from:

• Yellow
  • Purple
  • Red - blinks faster and faster
  • Green - You can let go here, it will continue to the next (Rainbow Cycle)
  • Rainbow Cycle
  1. If your MultiSensor has been successfully factory reset from its previous network, the RGB LED will be active with a colourful gradient for 3 seconds. When you press the Action Button on MultiSensor, its green LED will blink. If the removal was unsuccessful, the green LED will stay solid for a few seconds when you press the Action Button.

I'm trying an update to Csteele's driver where he corrected the filter statement. I hope the works!!!

The technique you describe seems to be appropriate for when the device is not communicating. It is communicating after the firmware updated. It just produces wild values sometimes. It happens frequent enough to be an issue.

If you haven't done so already you might still give it a shot. Firmware updates can be kind of funky depending upon the device. I don't really think it's your issue though.

I just started setting up my Hubitat. I added a new MS6. I then moved an older MS6 from ST. The older one - probably about two years old - doesn't report lux, The new one does. The new one is on batteries. The old one is on USB power. I installed the driver mentioned earlier in this thread and set it to report a lux change of one. The old one reports motion so I know it works somewhat. Could this be a firmware issue? How can I find out the version? The older one didn't work on ST for lux either.

##Update
I just noticed on the driver page under state variables: firmware; 1.08
The new sensor just reported the version. It's 1.12

And the latest and greatest looks like 1.13

You can update the firmware via the system firmware updater app but you will probably have to re-pair the sensor again.