AEOTEC LED Bulb 6 Color

I have a couple of Aeotec Aeon ZW098-Aā€™s Color Z-Wave smart bulbs and I have been trying to get these things to work as expected for a couple of weeks without any luck. My expectations are too turn the bulb on/off, at different intensity levels and different colors from the Device Preferences menu, the Dashboard, and Alexa.

I believe I might be reading old information on the Community Forum and that could be what is confusing me. For example, the old post I was reading last night told me I should setup the device as a ā€˜Hank RGBW LED Bulbā€™. But I can see an AEOTEC LED Bulb 6 Color device options menu. Anyway, I have tried both device options and neither really works.

From the Device Preference Menu, either option can change some colors and some brightness levels but my results are kind of spotty. In others words sometimes the configuration works with the bulb as expected, other times the bulb appears to have a mind of its own and it does what it wants to do.

Adding the bulb to the dashboard and using a Color Bulb template and can only get the light to turn on and off.

Alexa allows me to turn the bulb on/off and when I say ā€œAlexa, Living Room Bulb 50%ā€ it will always turn on to the correct percentage. But Alexa will not change the bulbā€™s color. The Color I set it from in the Device Preferences menu is always the default color.

Has anyone worked with this Aeotec ZW098-A bulb?
What was your experience?
Is this junk and my expectations are too high?
If anyone has made this thing work, what was your Device setup? Which driver?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Bill

I have two of those. Both work fine using the built-in Aeon LED Bulb driver

17%20PM

I also use them in Rules (purple = Garage Door Open) etc. One is used as one of a set of lights via Advanced Button Controller.

Model # ZW098-A is the old GEN5 model so you should be using the "Aeon LED Bulb" driver.

Model # ZWA001-A is the new version called Aeotec LED Bulb 6 Multi-Color, but they also have the Aeotec LED Bulb 6 Multi-White which only supports color temperature.

Thank You csteele & krlaframboise!

Honestly, I have not tried ā€œAeon LED Bulbā€, so that might be my entire problem. I wish I had asked days ago. I could have kept those few remaining hairs I had in my head.

Canā€™t wait to try ā€œAeon LED Bulbā€ tonight when I get home.

Bill

After changing the driver type and clicking save, be sure to also click the CONFIGURE button on the device details page. This sends device configurations commands directly to the device to tell it how to behave and communicate with the HE hub.

1 Like

Great, thanks ogiewon

Hi Guys,
Will I changed to driver to "Aeon LED Bulb" but still No Joy. I get the same results as with the previous drivers

Device preferences will turn the bulb on/off and change colors. However, with the color temperature set to 6500, the only color I get is Bright White.

Dashboard icon, opens a window that has "Color Bulb Options", "Level", "Color Temperature", and "On/Off". The only thing that works here is the On/Off button.

Alexa, Continuous to be able to turn the bulb on/off and set different percentage of brightness (Level). But, no color changes.

Next I deleted the device from Hubitat and rebooted. Then I removed/forgot the bulb from Alexa. And started all over again from scratch. Same results.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Bill

Maybe some of this information can shed some light on the problem.

Current States

• RGB : [0, 255, 209]
  • color : #00ffd1
  • colorMode : CT
  • colorName : Cool
  • colorTemperature : 6500
  • hue : 47
  • level : 99
  • lightEffects : {1=Christmas, 2=Fire, 3=Flash, 4=Police, 5=Random Colors}
  • saturation : 100
  • switch : on

What driver did it automatically assign the device? If it wasn't the Aeon LED Bulb driver then please post a screenshot of the data section?

What behavior are you expecting? White and color can't be used at the same time so 6500 is like daylight and 2700 is like soft white.

Hi @bmachia. I have 6 of these lights using the Aeon LED Bulb driver. I have no trouble changing their colors or level using rules (blue for water detected, red for door open, etc).
I just created a tile using the color bulb template and I am able to control the color, level and on-off. However, the color picker doesn't set the bulb to the proper color. I don't have an Echo nearby but I can change the color using a Google Home Mini.
Here is the info from one of my lights:

Current States

• RGB : [255, 0, 0]
  • color : #ff0000
  • colorMode : CT
  • colorName : Soft White
  • colorTemperature : 2700
  • hue : 100
  • level : 20
  • lightEffects : {1=Christmas, 2=Fire, 3=Flash, 4=Police, 5=Random Colors Fast, 6=Random Colors Slow}
  • saturation : 100
  • switch : off

Hi krlaframboise,

Thank for responding.

The first time I installed this the ZW098-Aā€™s Hubitat initially assigned the ā€˜Hank RGBW LED Bulbā€™. When that did not work, I changed the driver to ā€˜AEOTEC LED Bulb 6 Colorā€™. Then I read about this being an older product, so yesterday I changed the driver to ā€˜Aeon LED Bulbā€™. All are giving me the same results.

When that did not work, I thought I might have confused some parameter along the way, so I deleted All the ZW-098-Aā€™s from Hubitat, asked Alexa to forget them and started from scratch.

I am beginning to think my problems are with the parameters I am setting in Deviceā€™s. For example, setting Color temperature to 6500 would always give me a bright white. So, I need to figure out the correct Color Temperature setting to allow for color changes.

Hi (again) krlaframboise
Great minds must think alike! I sent the above response before reading your Color Temperature 2700 suggestion.

Thank you, now I have a Device parameter that should allow different colors from 6500 bright white.

Bill

Thanks Wounded,
When I get home tonight I am going to set my bulbs to your device parameters.

This has to be the problem.

Bill

SetHue, setSaturation and setColor set the rgb colors, setColorTemperature sets the color temperature (soft white, warm white ect) in Kelvin degrees.
Devices that are capable of rgb color and color temperature operate in one mode or the other.
When you issue a color related command the bulb switches to rgb mode, when you issue a color temperature command it switches to ct mode.

This is true for all RGBW bulbs.

Thank You Very Much Mike,

Looks like I got the attention of the man who rates with Carrots. I never miss a show.

This info definitely helps separate Color from White setup. I needed to understand the grouping between the two.

Bill

1 Like

Well..........
I changed the Device parameters to match 'Wounded's" numbers above. Thank You Wounded!

Now, I can get the bulb to work as expected within the Device menu and Dashboard Icon. I guess I'm 2/3's there....

But, Alexa??? I just do not understand
"Alexa, Livingroom Lamp On/Off": She responds OK, and the bulb turns on or off.
"Alexa, Livingroom Lamp 50%": She responds OK, and the bulb turn on at the proper percentage.
But,
"Alexa, Livingroom Lamp Blue"= She responds OK, but nothing happens.

Am I saying the wrong words to Alexa to change the Color?

Thanks (again) Guys
Bill

I usually say "Alexa, set <device name> to blue", but she's normally not that picky so your way should probably still work.

Enable debug logging in the device, open logging, ask Alexa to change the color, and post the logging results.

Hi krlaframboise
As you requested, I enabled "debug logging", opened the Logs page and said,
"Alexa, Livingroom lamp Blue"
She responded, OK, the the log responded;
dev:972019-07-20 04:34:50.729 pm infoLivingroom Lamp switch is on

Asking Alexa to change to any other color, she says OK, but nothing appears in the log.

Going into the Dashboard and changing the color, the log responds.
dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.190 pm infoLivingroom Lamp colorMode is RGB

dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.121 pm infoLivingroom Lamp colorName is Lime

dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.108 pm infoLivingroom Lamp RGB is [5, 255, 0]

dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.104 pm infoLivingroom Lamp color is #05ff00

dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.093 pm infoLivingroom Lamp saturation is 100

dev:972019-07-20 04:41:36.089 pm infoLivingroom Lamp hue is 33

So, what could possibly not allow the color setting to be transferent to the lamp via Alexa?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bill

Try telling her to change it to "cool white" or "soft white" and see if anything gets logged.

The logging disables itself after 30 minutes so make sure you enable it again.

1 Like