'Aeon HEM V1 Laundry Driver' is NOW working on Hubitat

This was exactly what I was thinking to keep the Z-Wave transceiver away from the EMF of the panel. Fortunately I do have an outlet right next to it as well.

My DSB09104-ZWUS arrived yesterday. Just installed the clamps, but what about the firmware? Should I upgrade, or is it better off on an older firmware if it has it. Have not checked. Donā€™t know how to do that yet.

Does the firmware even matter for this use case or is it important for the Z-Wave connection?

I seem to recall leaving the firmware alone on these. During my migration to Hubitat, I actually deployed a brand new one from a sealed box. I did not upgrade the firmware and it is working fine. I am choosing to leave well enough alone.

Thanks Dan. Iā€™m going to follow your lead and do the same.

Is there a way to determine running wattage from Hubitat, or do I need to pair this with SmartThings first to find out what they are? I donā€™t own a clamp-on ammeter.

Yes, once I installed, you will be able to see each wattage for the washer and dryer. You can then watch the values in real time with the washer and dryer off to see the idle wattage versus on to see the running wattage.

I set my limits a few watts above the off wattage value for each.

Note: immediately after pairing, be sure to press configure to make sure it reports each clamp separately.

Ok. Iā€™m installed and paired. Where do I see the values? Do I need to put in base wattage values in the driver to see them or is it because I have not clicked configure. Clearly Iā€™m skipping an important step somewhere.

[Edit] Sorry, read that on my phone the first time and missed where you reminded me about clicking configure. So I didn't do that. Think that's probably my issue. I'll exclude and start over.

One question before I pair with Hubitat again. In you last reply you said

Did you mean yes to my previous question, I need to pair with SmartThings first to see the running wattage, or does it show in Hubitat?

It shows in Hubitat on the device page. Sorry for any confusion.

No problem. I was being a bit thick about this. Even though I read your advice in the ST thread and this thread beforehand, I still didnā€™t click Configure when I first set it up. :crazy_face:

So I connected it to ST, got some base numbers and then received your last reply. Iā€™ve reconfigured with HE, properly this time and Iā€™m getting the numbers. Washer is very close to the same, but the dryer is not. It shows 3 watts when just the motor is running, which is for sure not accurate, and 0 when completely off. However, when the heating element is on, itā€™s 2400 W, very close to what I read in ST, but ST shows 280 W when just the motor is running, which make sense in comparison to the more efficient motor in the washer (approx. 150 W)

The washer shows 14 watts when idle, but ā€œONā€ (it has electronics, the dryer does not). Some of this is stray current from my workshop lighting too, as the breaker is right next to it, and I see an immediate 3 watt drop when I turn the lights off. In any case, what is there now will probably work fine for the dryer, but Iā€™m just wondering why itā€™s not measuring the motor accurately, but the default Aeon driver in ST seems to be. Should I swap the hot wire the dryer clamp is on?

Glad to hear youā€™ve got it working. As for the accuracy, Iā€™ve never really paid too much attention. My goal has always been to simply get an alert when the laundry cycle is done. As long as the wattage values are repeatable and consistent, it works great for this purpose.

On some 220v devices, one of the 2 hot wires is also used to create an internal 110v power source for the dryer. This hot wire will have a different power-usage signature as compared to the other.

Iā€™ll try switching the clamp to the other hot. If that does anything Iā€™ll post back, but as you point out, it should work just fine for the purpose either way.

Thanks for all your help with this!

or 2hot in same clamp and ground in other

2 hots in the same clamp, for a 220vac device will produce essentially 0 watts.

The GND will have no power running through it. If a gnd has current running through it, youā€™ve got a serious electrical wiring issue.

That wonā€™t work. It cancels each other out. Only cables with the same phase can be under a cable clamp.

Switching to the other hot worked. Higher than I read in SmartThings, but works. Iā€™m now reading Dryer:

Motor only= 482 W
Motor and Heating Element= 2643 W

Seems like this isnā€™t the most accurate of devices, but for this purpose itā€™s works really well. Now I need to decide which method Iā€™m going to use for notifications until push notifications from Hubitat are ready.

Pushover works very well for me.

Itā€™s the fallback plan. I know itā€™s what I should just be doing because everyone smarter than me is telling me itā€™s the right thing. :wink:

Trying to avoid another app on my wifeā€™s phone. Canā€™t install and test right now anyway. Her phone went for a swim.

1 Like

I ment neutral not ground

1 Like

Decided on Virtual switches, OH & ST for notifications until HE notifications are available. Itā€™s easy to setup, is fast and ready to go on my wifeā€™s phone. If I miss a notification because ST was offline at the time, itā€™s more acceptable than a light not turning on.

Have the dryer working, but canā€™t figure out how to make RM do what I need. The washer will push button 1 several times during the cycle, so I want to make sure that truth isnā€™t evaluated for at least a minute, but that 1 minute timer needs to cancel if it becomes false before the minute is up. :thinking:

I just recently started having the Washer report as finished multiple times (usually 3) as well. I have looked through the code and cannot figure out how it is able to send multiple 'washer is finished' button pushed events. Perhaps @mike.maxwell could look at his old code and figure out why it would possibly detect 3 'washer has finished' events in a row? It is almost like the state.washerIsRunning variable isn't updated immediately, allowing subsequent updates from the Aeon HEM to enter the same code path multiple times. The state.washerIsRunning variable should prevent this from happening. Did a recent firmware update change the behavior of 'state'?

if (source == 1){
        	name = "washerWatts"
            if (value.toInteger() >= settings.washerRW.toInteger()){
            	//washer is on
                sendEvent(name: "washerState", value: "on", displayed: true)
                state.washerIsRunning = true
            } else {
            	//washer is off
                if (state.washerIsRunning == true){
                	//button event
                    sendEvent(name: "pushed", value: "1", descriptionText: "Washer has finished.", isStateChange: true)
                }
                sendEvent(name: "washerState", value: "off", displayed: true)
                state.washerIsRunning = false
            }
        } else {
1 Like